Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with mystery 335 2010 model

jimmy74

Hi folks I'm not sure if I'm in the right section here but I'll give it a go. I've been offered a 2010 ES335 Dot in satin black with the seller declares being a Custom Shop made guitar. I haven't been able to find it on the gibson site so I thought I my try here and see if anyone can tell me more about this model. The model number is ESDSTBKCH1.

thanks for any help at all

J.

Jimmy:

I bought the same model 2010 ES-335 Satin Black new online in March 2010. I'm very, very happy with it. Custom Shop made, Plek-ed at factory. Feels, plays and sounds superb. Fretboard is not bound, but all edges are smooth. All hardware adjusts easily. Perfect way to get the ES-335 benefits without the bells & whistles (signatures/endorsements & cosmetics). I am motivated to play more often because it is a joy to play, and my abilities have increased because of that. I had never spent more that $400 on a guitar before that ES-335. But I regard the $1600 I spend on the ES-335 as one of the best buying decisions I have ever made. Good luck!

Tom

Thanks for your reply, so they have changed a few specs but the model number remains the same? Grover tuners and binding on the fretboard are on todays model, whereas kluson tuners and no fretboard binding are on the guitar I was offered.

thanks

J.

• 2 weeks later...

The model you are referring to is an ES-335 Satin in Transparent Black. It has the Kluson style keys and no binding on the fretboard. It would make sense that it might be discontinued as it would be hard to disguise the current practice of multiple rosewood fingerboard layers without a binding. As of tonight it is showing in stock at GC online.

• 1 month later...

The model you are referring to is an ES-335 Satin in Transparent Black. It has the Kluson style keys and no binding on the fretboard. It would make sense that it might be discontinued as it would be hard to disguise the current practice of multiple rosewood fingerboard layers without a binding. As of tonight it is showing in stock at GC online.

Multiple rosewood fingerboard? For real? Even when we talk about Custom Shop guitars?

• 2 years later...

Jimmy:

I bought the same model 2010 ES-335 Satin Black new online in March 2010. I'm very, very happy with it. Custom Shop made, Plek-ed at factory. Feels, plays and sounds superb. Fretboard is not bound, but all edges are smooth. All hardware adjusts easily. Perfect way to get the ES-335 benefits without the bells & whistles (signatures/endorsements & cosmetics). I am motivated to play more often because it is a joy to play, and my abilities have increased because of that. I had never spent more that $400 on a guitar before that ES-335. But I regard the $1600 I spend on the ES-335 as one of the best buying decisions I have ever made. Good luck!

Tom

Replying to an old thread. I found this because I've been researching my 2008 Custom Shop 335 that had binding put on aftermarket by the previous owner. I just thought I'd share with you that Gibson customer service told me the MSRP on this guitar was $3176. Of course I don't know what the street price was then but $1600 seems like a pretty good deal. Congrats! (BTW, I paid $2k for mine and felt like I did well.)

Chris

Archived