• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1980 Les Paul Custom

#1 User is offline   mr newhaven 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hello Everyone...

Its been a couple of years since I posted here but I just got myself another Gibson...and now I am feeling quite inspired to scroll through these pages again and reconnect with everyone that I haven't talked to in a while!

I will post pics a little later...I need to upload them onto my computer and this site refuses to come up with an app even though so many other forums have them already.

I just picked up a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Tobacco Burst? Brown Burst? something along those lines...once I post the pics you guys will know what I am talking about!

I had a question...like the bonehead I am as I was going over the guitar last night I decided for no good reason that it would be a great idea to unscrew the toggle switch tip and while doing so it completely cracked in half...

Finding a direct replacement is easy enough until I started reading how certain tips don't fit certain Les Pauls...does this just have to do with Epi's?
Or is my custom going to fall victim to this affliction as well?
(I was looking at getting one of those sharp looking amber tips but those were made to vintage specs? and I was wondering if I was going to have an issue?)

Thanks in advance!
oh i just updated the photos so here they are!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Mr Newhaven
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07 Gibson Melody Maker (Vintage Sunburst)
'01 Gibson ES 335 (Walnut with Gold Hardware)
80's All Rosewood MIJ Telecaster w/Bigsby and Hand Wound Bill Lawrence Pickups
'09 Ron Kirn Barn Buster T-Style Guitar (105+ year old Loblolly Pine body...built to 50's Broadcaster spec)
'72-'73 Yamaha FG-130 (Green Label)
'75 Fender Musicmaster Bass (daphne blue but now its seafoam green)
'09 Cordoba Ukulele
Fender '57 Tweed Champ Handwired
Pignose Legendary 7-100
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop Wah
Boss CH-1
Boss RC-2
EH Memory Toy

#2 User is offline   daveinspain 

• Player/Collector
  • LocationValencia, Spain

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

If you don't put the original toggle tip back on your guitar will lose about 50% of its value. Have you tried super gluing the tip back together?

Just kidding of course, Go to RS Guitar Works they will have the right tip for you... You can even get an aged vintage looking tip. BTW, that guitar is gorgeous and dripping of mojo... Congrats on a killer Les Paul Custom!!!!
1971 SG Standard Lyre Maestro tremolo, Cherry, original patent number sticker humbuckers
1983 Corvus, old gold, 3 single coil pups with 5 way selector switch
1997 Blueshawk, red/gold hardware,2 blues 90 pups with rotary vary sound selector
2006 Gretsch Chat Atkins 6120DSW orange/gold hardware, 2 Dynasonic pups
2006 LP project, refinished with a gold leaf top, Seymour Duncan pups with Jimmy Page set-up
2006 Johnny A custom, 57 Classic pups
2007 JP EDS 1275, Jimmy Page pups
2007 LP classic Heritage Cherry Sunburst, 496R and 500T ceramic humbucker pups
2007 LP Robot Guitar 1st edition, 490R and 498T pups
2007 LP Custom black/gold hardware, 490R and 498T pups
2007 Brain May, Red Special 3 Andeson Tri-Sonics pups
2008 Alhambra Acoustic model Auditorium Luthier. Hand painted one of a kind...
2011 Fender Strat Mahogany Crimson Red 2 Tex Mex single coils, 1 humbucker and S1 switch
2013 Fender Acoustic CD140SCE NAT
2014 Pignose travel guitar, 1 humbucker with built-in speaker and 1watt amp

My SoundClick

See my video here

I don't want to be the fastest guitarist, I want to be a guitarist with lots feeling and able to express the music I hear in my head...

#3 User is offline   mr newhaven 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postdaveinspain, on 07 September 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

If you don't put the original toggle tip back on your guitar will lose about 50% of its value. Have you tried super gluing the tip back together?

hahaha
thanks dave!
i dont see this leaving my sight...ever!
i almost pulled the trigger on a modified 76 standard in typical sunburst...but im definitely glad i didn't cause i found this about 2 weeks later!
couldnt be more pleased!
I dont care if its a dreaded "norlin" !!
yes the frets are flat, wide, and low but they are super comfortable and its heavy as hell!!!

my kind of lester!

Just kidding of course, Go to RS Guitar Works they will have the right tip for you... You can even get an aged vintage looking tip. BTW, that guitar is gorgeous and dripping of mojo... Congrats on a killer Les Paul Custom!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'09 Ron Kirn Barn Buster T-Style Guitar (105+ year old Loblolly Pine body...built to 50's Broadcaster spec)
'09 Cordoba Ukulele
Pignose Legendary 7-100
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop Wah
Boss CH-1
Boss RC-2
EH Memory Toy

#4 User is offline   mr newhaven 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

just checked rs guitarworks site...no luck...i guess i could do stewmac

but i might as well try the local shop first...would hate to pay shipping on a $4 item!
haha

thanks for the love!
'09 Cordoba Ukulele
Pignose Legendary 7-100
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop Wah
Boss CH-1
Boss RC-2
EH Memory Toy

#5 User is offline   Mark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Good one dave. I have heard that if you can only find a clean white replacement you can put it in a glass of strong Ice Tea and it will turn darker. I don't know if it works but maybe worth a shot. Also your switch may not be original so finding an original may still not fit.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users