Gibson Brands Forums

1980 Les Paul Custom

mr newhaven

Hello Everyone...

Its been a couple of years since I posted here but I just got myself another Gibson...and now I am feeling quite inspired to scroll through these pages again and reconnect with everyone that I haven't talked to in a while!

I will post pics a little later...I need to upload them onto my computer and this site refuses to come up with an app even though so many other forums have them already.

I just picked up a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Tobacco Burst? Brown Burst? something along those lines...once I post the pics you guys will know what I am talking about!

I had a question...like the bonehead I am as I was going over the guitar last night I decided for no good reason that it would be a great idea to unscrew the toggle switch tip and while doing so it completely cracked in half...

Finding a direct replacement is easy enough until I started reading how certain tips don't fit certain Les Pauls...does this just have to do with Epi's?

Or is my custom going to fall victim to this affliction as well?

(I was looking at getting one of those sharp looking amber tips but those were made to vintage specs? and I was wondering if I was going to have an issue?)

Thanks in advance!

oh i just updated the photos so here they are!

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Mr Newhaven

If you don't put the original toggle tip back on your guitar will lose about 50% of its value. Have you tried super gluing the tip back together?

Just kidding of course, Go to RS Guitar Works they will have the right tip for you... You can even get an aged vintage looking tip. BTW, that guitar is gorgeous and dripping of mojo... Congrats on a killer Les Paul Custom!!!!

If you don't put the original toggle tip back on your guitar will lose about 50% of its value. Have you tried super gluing the tip back together?

hahaha

thanks dave!

i dont see this leaving my sight...ever!

i almost pulled the trigger on a modified 76 standard in typical sunburst...but im definitely glad i didn't cause i found this about 2 weeks later!

couldnt be more pleased!

I dont care if its a dreaded "norlin" !!

yes the frets are flat, wide, and low but they are super comfortable and its heavy as hell!!!

my kind of lester!

Just kidding of course, Go to RS Guitar Works they will have the right tip for you... You can even get an aged vintage looking tip. BTW, that guitar is gorgeous and dripping of mojo... Congrats on a killer Les Paul Custom!!!!

Good one dave. I have heard that if you can only find a clean white replacement you can put it in a glass of strong Ice Tea and it will turn darker. I don't know if it works but maybe worth a shot. Also your switch may not be original so finding an original may still not fit.

Archived