Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's Age well

DiazInteractive

Both brands age pretty well in my opinion. I've only been playing for nine years though, so my guitars are not terribly old.

I do have Gibsons that are roughly 9 years old and a Fender that is about the same age. Neither of them have shown any real wear and tear from getting old, just the bumps and bruises I put on them from rough band practice over the years. Both guitars still sound absoultely amazing and look just as good (minus a few minor scratches).

Now in 20-30 years, I may not be able to say the same. But I've seen both 60's Les Pauls and Strats that look absolutely amazing.

But like I said, I can't speak from anything more than nine years of experience.

I have a 1987 '62 reissue Strat that looks as nice as my son's 2007. My bandmate has a 1986 '57 reissue Strat that the maple fretboard is just about worn out and there is finish checking throughout the body. I also have a 1997 Les Paul Elegant that looks brand new and it gets played nearly every day. I think that both brands age well but it really depends on how you take care of them. The woods used in Gibsons are usually much harder and thus they are more resistant to dings.

• 2 years later...

I have a 1987 '62 reissue Strat that looks as nice as my son's 2007. My bandmate has a 1986 '57 reissue Strat that the maple fretboard is just about worn out and there is finish checking throughout the body. I also have a 1997 Les Paul Elegant that looks brand new and it gets played nearly every day. I think that both brands age well but it really depends on how you take care of them. The woods used in Gibsons are usually much harder and thus they are more resistant to dings.

oh really??

you think mahogany is harder than maple??

oh really??

you think mahogany is harder than maple??

No but it's a lot harder than alder which is the wood of most Strat bodies. I find that bodies get dinged a lot more than necks. And most Gibson bodies have a maple top, also a lot harder than alder.

Archived