Gibson Brands Forums

What was your very first bass?

eggs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeeellll I'm not sure this counts but in 1976 I was at a friend's house and there was a late 60s EB-2 leaning in the corner with NO headstock. I bought it for ten bucks.

Wish I had it now. I think I stripped the parts off and sold them over the years.

But after that I didn't get another bass until '84 when I got a $100 Kent POS, then a '73 Musicmaster for $70, then that began a long line of them. One of note was a Hofner Beatle Bass formerly owned by Marshall Crenshaw. My only current basses are a 1983 P-Bass and a 1940 Kay M-1 upright.

My very first bass was a Squier Affinity Precision bass I bought about nine years ago.

Still have it actually. I spent a little over $200 on it (came with a practice amp as well).

I gigged with it for a while...then one dreadful night during sound check, she quit working on me. Luckily, she was my backup bass then for my Fender American P-Bass. But it was like a piece of me died that night.

I took her to the shop and they said it was an electrical problem, and I could either pay to have it fixed or let her rest in peace. I chose to let her rest. She sits next to my very first electric guitar on display in my bedroom now.

My first bass was a Squier P-Bass back in 1985, it was a short scale, I didn't know anything about that when I started. I played that in a couple of varity show at my high school, and we also play on a Mexican TV show in 1987.

I pick up my fist good bass that same year as a graduation present to my self. It's a late 80's BC Rich NJ Series Warlock. I had that for years until I stopped playing and sold it around 1995 or so. I started to miss it so I bought alot of other to replace it, but I still wish I had my old Warlock again. Fast forward 2008, I find it on ebay, it made it over to the east coast. I ended up getting it back and I will never sell it again.

I only have one pic of the P-Bass, I'll have to try and scan it, by the time I sold it I had painted the headstock and pick guaurd, and put a spiderweb design on it... what do you expect it was the 80's.

Here's the Warlock, now that I have it back I've put a EMG in it and some Grover tuners, Everything else is staying the same.

012-5.jpg

My first bass was a Squier P-Bass back in 1985, it was a short scale, I didn't know anything about that when I started. I played that in a couple of varity show at my high school, and we also play on a Mexican TV show in 1987.

I pick up my fist good bass that same year as a graduation present to my self. It's a late 80's BC Rich NJ Series Warlock. I had that for years until I stopped playing and sold it around 1995 or so. I started to miss it so I bought alot of other to replace it, but I still wish I had my old Warlock again. Fast forward 2008, I find it on ebay, it made it over to the east coast. I ended up getting it back and I will never sell it again.

I only have one pic of the P-Bass, I'll have to try and scan it, by the time I sold it I had painted the headstock and pick guaurd, and put a spiderweb design on it... what do you expect it was the 80's.

Here's the Warlock, now that I have it back I've put a EMG in it and some Grover tuners, Everything else is staying the same.

012-5.jpg

Did you get YOUR exact same bass back? If so, that's amazing!

And I'm diggin the Warlock. I bet it's a beast!

Did you get YOUR exact same bass back? If so, that's amazing!

And I'm diggin the Warlock. I bet it's a beast!

Ya it is my exact bass. I saw it a year before I got it back on ebay. It sold for more that I was willing to pay. About a year later it shows back up and that's when I got it.

There were a couple of dead give aways, first was the guy I sold it to back in the 90's felt it would play better if he sanded the neck. I've heard of people doing that but he could have done a better job. He went down to wood in some places [cursing] When I got it back it still had my original Earth III strap, and there was a ding on the upper point that was there when I got it. I looked at that ding for years when I played it, it always bugged me then, but now it's definitely adds character. I was thinking of having it restored, but it has that special quality, and I'm afraid I'd loose some of that.

I've bought a lot of other basses I even have 8 other Warlocks, but this will always have a special place.

I'd say if you can get your Squier bass back up and running it would so be worth it. If it's just electrical it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it's the pick up let me know I have extras laying around you could have, one is from a older Squier.

Ya it is my exact bass. I saw it a year before I got it back on ebay. It sold for more that I was willing to pay. About a year later it shows back up and that's when I got it.

There were a couple of dead give aways, first was the guy I sold it to back in the 90's felt it would play better if he sanded the neck. I've heard of people doing that but he could have done a better job. He went down to wood in some places [cursing] When I got it back it still had my original Earth III strap, and there was a ding on the upper point that was there when I got it. I looked at that ding for years when I played it, it always bugged me then, but now it's definitely adds character. I was thinking of having it restored, but it has that special quality, and I'm afraid I'd loose some of that.

I've bought a lot of other basses I even have 8 other Warlocks, but this will always have a special place.

I'd say if you can get your Squier bass back up and running it would so be worth it. If it's just electrical it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it's the pick up let me know I have extras laying around you could have, one is from a older Squier.

That's amazing that you got your old bass back, especially from across the country. That's fate man. You two were meant to be together haha.

I think you should keep the ding, besides character I'm sure it has a cool memory behind it.

My Squier is an electrical issue. I'm not very good with the electronic side of things, so I've thought about taking it to the shop to get it repaired. It's just that everytime I want to get it fixed, I end up spending my money on another guitar (or bass) for my collection haha. One of these days I mean to get her fixed, I just have to learn how to control myself :P

That's amazing that you got your old bass back, especially from across the country. That's fate man. You two were meant to be together haha.

I think you should keep the ding, besides character I'm sure it has a cool memory behind it.

My Squier is an electrical issue. I'm not very good with the electronic side of things, so I've thought about taking it to the shop to get it repaired. It's just that everytime I want to get it fixed, I end up spending my money on another guitar (or bass) for my collection haha. One of these days I mean to get her fixed, I just have to learn how to control myself :P

I think it was meant to be, other than the new pick up and tuners, it something I wanted to do to it when I first owned it, it's staying exactly the same. It actually play better now, I've taught myself how to set it up properly, and with the new pick up I put it it sounds better as well.

I know what you mean about control. I have a few others that I'd like to send out to get painted, but I end up upgrading another one, or find a good deal that "I just can't pass up" at least that what I keep telling Fiancee [biggrin]

Just to let you know, the electronics are a lot easier that you might think. I jumped in years ago and I was surprised at how easy it was. I know I've save a fortune with as many as I've done over the years.

I think it was meant to be, other than the new pick up and tuners, it something I wanted to do to it when I first owned it, it's staying exactly the same. It actually play better now, I've taught myself how to set it up properly, and with the new pick up I put it it sounds better as well.

I know what you mean about control. I have a few others that I'd like to send out to get painted, but I end up upgrading another one, or find a good deal that "I just can't pass up" at least that what I keep telling Fiancee [biggrin]

Just to let you know, the electronics are a lot easier that you might think. I jumped in years ago and I was surprised at how easy it was. I know I've save a fortune with as many as I've done over the years.

It's still pretty crazy how you got your exact bass back. That's fate man. Especially when it came back how you wanted to modify it. That's pretty much saying that you two belong together.

I have the exact same problem. I remember one time I went into the local guitar shop (mom and pop type store, no Guitar Centers in my area) to buy some strings for my acoustic...I walked out with a Fender American Strat...and forgot the strings haha. There's always a good deal going on when you need to either upgrade or buy something small (like strings) that you just cannot pass up. It's guitar fever...but unlike the flu, I don't mind having this one [biggrin]

Do you know of any websites or books that can give me a tutorial on how the electronics work? I'd like to be able to take care of the problem myself and get my old bass working again...I just have no idea where to start.

It's still pretty crazy how you got your exact bass back. That's fate man. Especially when it came back how you wanted to modify it. That's pretty much saying that you two belong together.

I have the exact same problem. I remember one time I went into the local guitar shop (mom and pop type store, no Guitar Centers in my area) to buy some strings for my acoustic...I walked out with a Fender American Strat...and forgot the strings haha. There's always a good deal going on when you need to either upgrade or buy something small (like strings) that you just cannot pass up. It's guitar fever...but unlike the flu, I don't mind having this one [biggrin]

Do you know of any websites or books that can give me a tutorial on how the electronics work? I'd like to be able to take care of the problem myself and get my old bass working again...I just have no idea where to start.

The tuners and pick ups I did after I got it back. It was still stock except for the jack that I put on along time ago, it still had some duct tape that I used on the contacts before I knew better :blink:

This is a good site for wiring diagrams,

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Also most pick ups have them included when you by them. What I usally do when I start out if the wiring is incact, is draw out exactly what it looks like before I take it apart, or you can take a good picture of it for reference.

Plus this site seem to have a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help.

The tuners and pick ups I did after I got it back. It was still stock except for the jack that I put on along time ago, it still had some duct tape that I used on the contacts before I knew better :blink:

This is a good site for wiring diagrams,

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Also most pick ups have them included when you by them. What I usally do when I start out if the wiring is incact, is draw out exactly what it looks like before I take it apart, or you can take a good picture of it for reference.

Plus this site seem to have a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help.

Thanks Rob.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot (after I do a little reading on the site you provided). It'd be nice to have her working again. Even though she's not my main bass anymore, I'd still enjoy jamming on her.

Thanks Rob.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot (after I do a little reading on the site you provided). It'd be nice to have her working again. Even though she's not my main bass anymore, I'd still enjoy jamming on her.

I'm glad to hear it. If you need any help, let me know, I'll see what you can do. Also if it turns out to be the pick up let me know, I have quite a few extras laying around. You may be surprised it may just be a loose wire.

I'm glad to hear it. If you need any help, let me know, I'll see what you can do. Also if it turns out to be the pick up let me know, I have quite a few extras laying around. You may be surprised it may just be a loose wire.

I really appreciate that. I'll keep you updated on how everything turns out with it.

My first bass was an Eko Barracuda in natural/blonde colour.Similar to a Rivoli.I bought it in 1969 for £15 after hearing Sgt.Peppers on earphones for the first time.I had been playing guitar up till then,but when I heard those bass lines,,,,I thought ,,,this is for me.

Sadly,it was pinched and I never photographed it,but it was similar to this.

http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2009/post-3521-1242833626.jpg

The black Electra P-bass in the middle was my first. I bought it in 1983 for a recording project I was doing, and it has served well ever since. It came with a brass Badass bridge, and I replaced the original plastic thumbrest with a brass Fender one.

Basses.jpg

Archived