Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Studio Faded

RyanStorm

I went to GC to try out some guitars and tried the Gibson LP Studio Faded in Worn Cherry and I also tried the Epiphone LP Custom Pro in Alpine White with Gold.

I had the budget for either one, although saving is good and I brought home the Epiphone to try out.

I love it, but I keep asking myself whether those low end Gibson Studio's in Faded are worth it, despite my hesitations. Personally I thought the $799 Ace Frehley Custom was better.

I read somewhere that the ProBuckers are similar to the BurstBuckers. As far as I could tell between playing them on the same amp, and reading about them,

the epiphone just seemed like the better deal. I got 60 days to return it, and I was wondering if people who know these guitars could give some info.

When I say the Gibson didn't seem like the better deal, I mean the neck didn't feel as good and the sound didn't seem much better. I mean like it didn't feel like it was worth the extra $250.

The epiphone was $450 and the gibson was $700(same with the Ace Frehley) with my $100 coupon. I guess my questions are your opinions on the choice, and if the Gibson is the better choice, like

is there something I don't know that makes the Gibson worth the extra money.

I am intermeidate-advanced, I am not a pro, expert or master. My best guitar was an Epiphone LP-100 and BC Rich Bronze which I don't have and I have only had a chump no-name brand tele-copy for the last year or so.

link to gibson: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTWCCH

link to epiphone: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCTAWGh/

I dont have huge experience with Epis but I know the Fadeds very well...

And what I will say is that I had to try all of the Studios in the shop to find the one that felt the best and sounded good.. So my advice is to try as many Studios as you can. I can assure you they are worth the money (theres lots of love on here for them) and when you find the right one many people including myself will tell you that they play and sound as good as a Standard.

Epihpones are great for the money and ive tried a fair few in my time but ive never tried one where I thought, however good they are, that it was better than my Gibbys..

But as you say its really down to personal preference.

Also the Burstbucker Pros are used in the 2008 standards (which I have one of) and I think they sound great. It did for some reason take a small amoount of time to wear in but the older it gets, the better it sounds.

Also with the neck.. The Faded Studios have 50s necks on them which I cant get on with or I would have bought one of those.. Instead I got a 60s Tribute Studio which has a much thinner neck and I love it to bits [thumbup] So it may be worth trying one of them (I got the goldtop)

Good luck man.. its worth putting the effort in to find the right guitar ..

Let us know how you get on.

Epiphones have a cheaper poly finish, cheaper electronics and are of course made with cheaper labor. So Epiphones are priced cheaper. If you like the Epi, buy it and you'll save some money over a Gibson purchase.

I have an Epi LP to take into situations I wouldn't take my Gibson LP into. It plays nice, but the pickups don't compare to my Gibby and neither does the overall quality.

If I was going to own one LP it would be a Gibson.

Yeah the Custom Pro has the 60s slim taper neck, and rosewood fingerboard. Well I was going to leave without a guitar but they told me I could take one home and bring it back. Its hard to know how it feels till you got your strap on it, plugged into your equipment.

I dont need to tell you of the Custom Pro's visual appeal, she is astonishing with the white on gold with triple binding that goes up the neck. It just has the best feel in my palm but not entirely to my fingers. I don't know about the sound, I know its not better.

Honestly I always wanted a Gibson Studio, I was always told Gibson is way better than Epiphone. I guess its obvious that there is a $250 difference somewhere.

Most the Gibson Studios I went looking for weren't available, like the Satin Ebony and Faded Ebony Stain. They had the 60's Tribute, but they had P90s instead of BurstBuckers, they had a 50s and 70s tribute too I think.

On Monday I thought I would take the Epi back and bring home a Gibson. They had a few used ones marked down if I want. I would like to see how one of the gibson studios sound from home. I know they have a couple there to try. If I can't get the exact one I want, I will have to wait. Right now I got my $100 off $500+. I actually saw the faded cherry on a local KSL classified for $625(I am sure I could do $600 flat), which would at least would be $75 + tax cheaper.

Yeah the Custom Pro has the 60s slim taper neck, and rosewood fingerboard. Well I was going to leave without a guitar but they told me I could take one home and bring it back. Its hard to know how it feels till you got your strap on it, plugged into your equipment.

I dont need to tell you of the Custom Pro's visual appeal, she is astonishing with the white on gold with triple binding that goes up the neck. It just has the best feel in my palm but not entirely to my fingers. I don't know about the sound, I know its not better.

Honestly I always wanted a Gibson Studio, I was always told Gibson is way better than Epiphone. I guess its obvious that there is a $250 difference somewhere.

Most the Gibson Studios I went looking for weren't available, like the Satin Ebony and Faded Ebony Stain. They had the 60's Tribute, but they had P90s instead of BurstBuckers, they had a 50s and 70s tribute too I think.

On Monday I thought I would take the Epi back and bring home a Gibson. They had a few used ones marked down if I want. I would like to see how one of the gibson studios sound from home. I know they have a couple there to try. If I can't get the exact one I want, I will have to wait. Right now I got my $100 off $500+. I actually saw the faded cherry on a local KSL classified for $625(I am sure I could do $600 flat), which would at least would be $75 + tax cheaper.

I think the price difference is simple..

Its better woods and electronics (and in the way they are made).. BUT mostly its down to the fact that every Gibson even the Studios that are made in the same way and in the same place ase the Standards are all hand finished..

This is why you have to try as many as you can and hunt for a good one.. cos EVERY Gibson is slightly different.. Even if you ask to try more than one of the same model and colour and year you will see.. Each one is just slightly unique.. And theres always one, somewhere with your name on it :) .. Gibsons are (IMO) well worth it, and studios are amazing for the price.

So your saying, all epiphones are built in the same facotry for cheapness, so even if they put all the works on it(binding, sweet paint) its still all cheap on the inside both in parts and how its built. Instead I could get a guitar that is built in a better shop and even though its not the ones with all the works, its still from a shop that uses better materials, better parts and more costly labor.

I can get the higher of the low end guitars, or the lowest of the high end guitars. Studios are still High End, and Custom Pro's are still Low End no matter how you look at it.

I do think the overall appeal of the Epiphone was mostly based off how she looked, even though she looks like a $3000 Gibson Custom, she is just a mock up and has no soul, meaning they sacrficed sound to make her look good.

At least a Gibson would have a soul, even if she isn't pretty with binding, although I don't know that actually improves sound. After I read some stuff I started noticing the quality of sound in my epiphone guitar, like ringing and how it feels in my fingers.

What should I look for in a Gibson Studio, like what should I be testing out when I try each one besides how she sounds?

So your saying, all epiphones are built in the same facotry for cheapness, so even if they put all the works on it(binding, sweet paint) its still all cheap on the inside both in parts and how its built. Instead I could get a guitar that is built in a better shop and even though its not the ones with all the works, its still from a shop that uses better materials, better parts and more costly labor.

I can get the higher of the low end guitars, or the lowest of the high end guitars. Studios are still High End, and Custom Pro's are still Low End no matter how you look at it.

I do think the overall appeal of the Epiphone was mostly based off how she looked, even though she looks like a $3000 Gibson Custom, she is just a mock up and has no soul, meaning they sacrficed sound to make her look good.

At least a Gibson would have a soul, even if she isn't pretty with binding, although I don't know that actually improves sound. After I read some stuff I started noticing the quality of sound in my epiphone guitar, like ringing and how it feels in my fingers.

What should I look for in a Gibson Studio, like what should I be testing out when I try each one besides how she sounds?

Yes basically what you say I think is right.. The Epi may look good but the quality will never be the same from a machine finish as someone whos worked hard and gives their skill and love to make a piece of art...

And what to look for.. well its one of those things.. like being in love.. when you find the one that talks to you, you will just know :)

But what I always test is firstly, how does it sound unplugged.. Cos the general rule is if it sounds good unplugged, you know its gonna sound good plugged in. Then just try both ends of the fretboard, do a bend or two.. Make sure the neck is straight and all the electrics work as they should.. And try playing through the same amp that you have at home (oh the times ive fallen for that) so you know you will be able to get the same sound (rathe than them plugging you into a $2000 amp that would still sound good if you farted into it :))

After that I just think that you will know when you find the right one :)

There are are few I like from online. The 50's tribute has 490 and 498 pickups, then there is the wine gold studio GC has it for 934$, and with coupon its $834.

I think if I wait around I could get a good a deal on one of the more expensive Gibsons like the Wine Red on Gold, which isn't one of the cheaper ones, I mean its one of the $1000+ versions(its weird the used one is 1200$). If I drove north the only other GC in the state has one in stock. The $100 off is pretty good but %15 would be just as good, which I get several times a year by email.

What is better 490/498 pickups or BurstBuckers, or the P90? This is something that seems to be part of my decision.

What is better 490/498 pickups or BurstBuckers, or the P90? This is something that seems to be part of my decision.

Thats s a very personal choice..

Id say Burstbuckers are way better.. I never really liked the 490/498 combo..

And if you have never tried a guitar with P90s you gotta.. I think they are awesome.. It kinda depends on what type of music you play. P90s are much darker than Humbuckers but still growl and have nice creamy highs so are really good for Blues and Rock.. But they are capable of playing lighter stuff too.

Here check these vids.. I have a Double Cut faded.. its an amazing guitar

and this is a cool vid about Studios (the new 2012s)

I am more of a Sabbath, ACDC, Rammstein, Mudvayne type of player. But I also like(try) to learn Chuck Berry, Lepplin, Rush, and other classic stuff.

P90's sound more of my groove, because 60's is roughly where my favorite music comes from. That means that 60's Tribute would probably be my ideal guitar, cause I like that 60s neck too. I just thought 490/8's were the best.

My Guitar Center has it to, in all colors. Its weird I don't think I tried the 60s tribute. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Limited-Run-Les-Paul-Studio--60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-106503030-i1774364.gc

That ebony looks like the guitar I always wanted. If what I know, it might be what I was looking for. Is the P90 going to have the sound of Sabbath or ACDC? Or bands like them?

There are are few I like from online. The 50's tribute has 490 and 498 pickups, then there is the wine gold studio GC has it for 934$, and with coupon its $834.

I think if I wait around I could get a good a deal on one of the more expensive Gibsons like the Wine Red on Gold, which isn't one of the cheaper ones, I mean its one of the $1000+ versions(its weird the used one is 1200$). If I drove north the only other GC in the state has one in stock. The $100 off is pretty good but %15 would be just as good, which I get several times a year by email.

Oh an just to prove my point about P90s (cos im a huge fan now) This is my 60s Tribute Goldtop just played through a tiny little Marshall solid state amp.. I did it cos that building belonged to my family and I always wanted to play in that huge room and only got the chance recently cos its now empty..

Anyway, apart from my dodgey playing, you can hear the P90s sound pretty good (well I think they do anyway)..

And sorry for the leangth.. but i was having fun ( I actually recorded over an hours worth :))

(distortion at about 3:50)

I am more of a Sabbath, ACDC, Rammstein, Mudvayne type of player. But I also like(try) to learn Chuck Berry, Lepplin, Rush, and other classic stuff.

P90's sound more of my groove, because 60's is roughly where my favorite music comes from. That means that 60's Tribute would probably be my ideal guitar, cause I like that 60s neck too. I just thought 490/8's were the best.

My Guitar Center has it to, in all colors. Its weird I don't think I tried the 60s tribute. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Limited-Run-Les-Paul-Studio--60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-106503030-i1774364.gc

That ebony looks like the guitar I always wanted. If what I know, it might be what I was looking for. Is the P90 going to have the sound of Sabbath or ACDC? Or bands like them?

Haha.. in my video at about 6:10 :)

(not sayiing i sound anything like Tony :P)

Haha.. in my video at about 6:10 :)

(not sayiing i sound anything like Tony :P)

I am learning that song..I love playing it.

So you actually own that 60's Tribute and you love it?

Just everything that I have read and tested is pointing me in that direction. I wasn't generally impressed with the regular studios but I knew they were good. The 60's Tribute are more, which is why I probably didn't try one.

I am learning that song..I love playing it.

So you actually own that 60's Tribute and you love it?

Just everything that I have read and tested is pointing me in that direction. I wasn't generally impressed with the regular studios but I knew they were good. The 60's Tribute are more, which is why I probably didn't try one.

Yup.. thats me playing my one.. and it really is special... Theres something about the 60s tributes that just makes them a bit different to the other studios.. I never intended to own a Goldtop, I was going to get a Honeyburst or Cherry Sunburst but tried about 12 they had in the shop.. and the Goldtop was the last one I tried and straight away I knew it was the one I had to buy and I really do love it as much as my Standard and Classic..

Heres a review of the 60s Tributes

Theres alot of love for these on here.. even a 60s tribute owners thread :)

these are my babies.. each one took work to find.. but each one is a jem in its own way :)

DSC01884.jpg

That is definitely the sound I want. I was just calculating that if I am spending $500, I might as well could up another 200$-300$ to get a ticket to the big leagues. Since I won't get another guitar until I finish school.

From what I can see, read and hear, the Tribute is going to be much more different than the worn cherry I tried. The back of the neck doesn't seem be in the same coat as the faded, so It won't feel all "rubbery" when sliding my hand, plus it will have that 60's neck that is way better.

I might just go tomorrow, cause I really want to try them out. I just have a feeling its exactly what I want even though its more. I will also check the 50s and 70s, but they don't have the P90s.

That is definitely the sound I want. I was just calculating that if I am spending $500, I might as well could up another 200$-300$ to get a ticket to the big leagues. Since I won't get another guitar until I finish school.

From what I can see, read and hear, the Tribute is going to be much more different than the worn cherry I tried. The back of the neck doesn't seem be in the same coat as the faded, so It won't feel all "rubbery" when sliding my hand, plus it will have that 60's neck that is way better.

I might just go tomorrow, cause I really want to try them out. I just have a feeling its exactly what I want even though its more. I will also check the 50s and 70s, but they don't have the P90s.

Good luck [thumbup]

and stick some pics up for us if you find your baby :)

(oh and be fussy.. you have every right too when buying a Gibson :) and they want to sell you one so will let you try as many as you need (or should anyway :))

They aren't great workers unless you ask them, if you go in and don't say nothing you can spend hours in there and no one would help you.

Hopefully they will have one still in the box. On the epiphone I had to take the one off the floor, and all he did was clean it up.

Will they setup a guitar when you buy one? I read that you should get the neck and everything set? I only know about changing strings, and can use the allen wrench to bend the neck, but would they do all that for free?

They aren't great workers unless you ask them, if you go in and don't say nothing you can spend hours in there and no one would help you.

Hopefully they will have one still in the box. On the epiphone I had to take the one off the floor, and all he did was clean it up.

Will they setup a guitar when you buy one? I read that you should get the neck and everything set? I only know about changing strings, and can use the allen wrench to bend the neck, but would they do all that for free?

They should do. But I live in the UK so have never used GC but I've heard many bad things about them on here.

My local shop don't put a guitar out that isn't right. So I'm lucky.

But most Gibson's come with a medium set up with 11 gauge strings. So some setup is usually required and a lot just do it themselves as I do.

It's not that hard. But just make sure there's no bad string buzz and the frets are rounded off and not cutting your fingers up.

Apart from that adjusting string height and pickup height is easy.

It really depends on your preference (whether an SG is as good as a Les Paul).

Les Pauls have a thicker body and will normally give you a warmer tone.

SG's are thinner and tend to give you more of a bite.

Both are excellent choices though. I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Gibson SG Faded and I love them both. Wouldn't trade either of them for anything in the world.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way.

I will probably go for the LP, but I will try them both out. The way I see it, if I buy a gibson, there will never be reason not to keep it, even if I buy a Gibson Custom. If I keep the epiphone, I probably won't ever use it again if I get a Gibson in the future which is extremely and highly likely, just not any time soon after this guitar purchase.

The most logical way to look at it is, If I got a Gibson it should easily last me the next 5 years in terms of my skill level, so instead of spending $450 on a guitar now that will only be good for 2 years and another $400 later for two years, I get a guitar way above my current skill. I will easily out grow this Epiphone with in a year or two, even now I think I "deserve" something better. So I will save myself the trouble and get a professional guitar that will last a lifetime. Up to this point I have always bought a guitar way below my skill, which makes my talent suffer. It will be nice having a guitar that is roughly the same guitar my favorites used.

I will probably go for the LP, but I will try them both out. The way I see it, if I buy a gibson, there will never be reason not to keep it, even if I buy a Gibson Custom. If I keep the epiphone, I probably won't ever use it again if I get a Gibson in the future which is extremely and highly likely, just not any time soon after this guitar purchase.

The most logical way to look at it is, If I got a Gibson it should easily last me the next 5 years in terms of my skill level, so instead of spending $450 on a guitar now that will only be good for 2 years and another $400 later for two years, I get a guitar way above my current skill. I will easily out grow this Epiphone with in a year or two, even now I think I "deserve" something better. So I will save myself the trouble and get a professional guitar that will last a lifetime. Up to this point I have always bought a guitar way below my skill, which makes my talent suffer. It will be nice having a guitar that is roughly the same guitar my favorites used.

Yes you are right..

If you want a Gibson then thats what you need to get and you wont be happy with the Epi..

But a good Gibson will last you a lifetime if you treat it right.. even a Studio :)

Also if you want to justify the cost.. An Epi wont ever be worth much second hand.. With a Gibby you will always be able to sell it for a good amount. So another good reason :)

And yeah SGs are pretty cool. Not for me, but they do their own thing.. Just keep trying as many as you can.. You will find your right one [thumbup]

I won't know till tomorrow or the next day. I was suppose to study my exam thats tomorrow, but I spent all week and weekend so far, reading and playing the guitar.

I was playing it through my BX5a's using my Line6 UX2 and through my headphones. WIth my headphones on the Epiphone has a good sound and you can't hear any fret buzz. She sounds good, but if you play with just it, you hear the sound you would hear if you put your finger on the metal of the frets, thats even if your finger is in the dead middle pressing hard or soft.

My guitar center now has the 60s tribute in Satin in stock, which is what I think I want, the worn ones look great but I don't know if the outside paint is my first choice.

I played my Epiphone for like 4 hours last night using my UX2 Pod software.

Honestly it sounds good especially against my old guitar and any guitar I ever owned. But I didn't notice that sound when I played it on the marshall at gc.

There is serious ringing in the A string. I also noticed it had kind of lame sound when playing non-power chords, something about it just seemed dull in the bottom strings.

When playing on my headphones where you can't hear the actual guitar I don't hear it as much, but I am sure the quality of sound would be much better with a different guitar.

I went to GC after I took a test. I didn't take the Epiphone with me, but if I would have, I would have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Red Wine, I mean the $1400 guitar, used for $700!!!

I am going first thing in the morning to trade back my Epiphone for the: Gibson Les Paul Studio Wine Red!

I tried the Tribute guitar and it was nice and light. But I found that Studio and she seemed in better condition and she was used. She had a really nice fretboard, her tuning was amazing and the overall sound was top notch.

If that Wine Red is still there tomorrow I will probably get it. The only thing is I can't use my $100 off, so it will be 800$, and a new Tribute would be $750, and a faded/satin studio would be $700.

But that Wine Red is a $1400 guitar so I think its worth it.

Archived