Gibson Brands Forums

Interpreting Les Paul Model numbers

rayb24

Whilst I understand how the serial numbers work, how is the model number broken down? 2012 models seem to be more letters than numbers but what do they all mean

Example LPTDSZCH1 the LP is obvious but what does the rest mean?

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before I did search first.

Ray

Welcome.

It's shorthand. And Gibson isn't always consistent with what the individual letters mean. Here's a couple of examples.

LPS6GTNH1 = Les Paul Standard 60's Neck Gold Top Nickel Hardware, the "1" signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd (a holdover from when Gibson sold seconds - cosmetically flawed).

LPPCHBGH1 = Les Paul Premium (figured top) Custom Honey Burst Gold Hardware

Yours - LPTDSZCH1 - Les Paul TD SZ Chrome Hardware - the TD I'm not sure, might have something to do with the top; the SZ is in the spot where the finish is usually coded. You can email Gibson with the serial# and model# at service@gibson.com for a translation.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have emailed gibson to find out what the Model means in english. Also I noticed the hand written cards are almost written in doctor script.

So far I think I have unwravelled the Model Number thus. "LP" Les Paul, "TD" or "TP" it could be either I think is teaburst which mine looks like. "S" = satin which it is. "Z" I have no clue? "CH" Chrome Hardware and "1" for 1st quality as in no blemishes. I wonder what happens to the blemished guitars???

Ray

Where do you find the model number?

It comes on the card that has the date, serial # and Model number on it, all hand written. Sometimes these go missing in the store but it should be with the guitar when you buy it. Now if the guitar is not new, then it may well be gone. They are originally filled out at the factory

Ray

Is the model code possibly "LPTDMSVCH1"? If so, this would be a Les Paul Traditional Mahogany top Satin Vintage sunburst finish with chrome hardware. Model codes don't always make perfect sense when translated, but I hope this helps. If that's not the model that you have, feel free to send me the serial # via private message and I'll check it out. Thanks!

Customer Service to the rescue. It seems that on my card there were a couple of letters missing. They IM'ed me very quickly once I sent my serial # to them and this is what they said

"Thanks for the serial number - here's the full model code - there should be an "SH" after the Z - LPTDSZSHCH

This is a Les Paul Traditional "1960" with zebra coil pickups in satin honeyburst finish."

So Thank You Gibson Customer service [thumbup] , the mystery is solved

Ray

Probably not the right place to say this, but I am amazed at this guitar. I have had an Epiphone Les Paul, I also currently own a Line 6 Variax which can emulate a Les Paul. I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul but put it off thinking about the cost. Well after a week of owning this. I have to say its a bloody work of Art both in looks and sound.

The sound from a simple Vox tube amp with no effects just damn well reverberates in a really good way. I am so impressed.

Gibson Add mode off now and returning to normal programming [thumbup]

Ray

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would add to this, late as it is:

I just purchased a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus Top with the model number: LPNSTDPTSCH1

That model breaks down as follows:

LP = Les Paul

N = Nashville

STD = Standard

P = Plus

TS = Tea Burst

CH = Chrome hardware

1 = First run (Not a second or not a Historic)

FYI.

This post made me curious as to a problem I had when registering my LP Double Cut. They told me the numbers came back to an SG model. WHAT?? Its a Double Cut. Here is the Model # LPDCROCH1. HOWEVER... the product code is SGSCWBCH1. Would someone please trasnslate these?? This guitar was purchased on 12/29/07 I think the Model # would be translated as Les Paul Double Cut Root Beer Chrome Hardware 1st run. The other one is a total mystery except for the SG part. Thanks for any translation.

377032_293613903993598_1433962529_n.jpg

Okay after digging around in my files I found this paperwork on another Les Paul... The Model # is LPTLBNH. I've learned that this one was made in November of 2003. THis Model number needs a little help in translation. I got the Les Paul and the Nashville. The LB is the color(???) but the "T" is still a mystery (traditional?). LB= light blonde?? I don't think so....... its a reddish orange burst finish. Probably means light burst.

IMG_2449.jpg

• Like 1

This post made me curious as to a problem I had when registering my LP Double Cut. They told me the numbers came back to an SG model. WHAT?? Its a Double Cut. Here is the Model # LPDCROCH1. HOWEVER... the product code is SGSCWBCH1. Would someone please trasnslate these?? This guitar was purchased on 12/29/07 I think the Model # would be translated as Les Paul Double Cut Root Beer Chrome Hardware 1st run. The other one is a total mystery except for the SG part. Thanks for any translation.

377032_293613903993598_1433962529_n.jpg

Okay after digging around in my files I found this paperwork on another Les Paul... The Model # is LPTLBNH. I've learned that this one was made in November of 2003. THis Model number needs a little help in translation. I got the Les Paul and the Nashville. The LB is the color(???) but the "T" is still a mystery (traditional?). LB= light blonde?? I don't think so....... its a reddish orange burst finish. Probably means light burst.

IMG_2449.jpg

Hello KB,

I would think your interpretation on your LP Traditional is pretty much correct - The T should be for Traditional and the LB is for Light Burst.

• Thanks 1

... the product code is SGSCWBCH1. ... is a total mystery except for the SG part. Thanks for any translation. ...

SGSCWBCH1 .would be SG .SpeCial with a Worn Brown finish and Chrome Hardware and the 1 signifies that the guitar is not "b" stock or a 2nd. There's a pic below. Looks nothing like your LP DC. I wonder how that mistake was made.

Love the pics you posted. Looks like you're a first class wrangler, handling two instruments with ease. . [thumbup]

DV016_Jpg_Large_517222.008_worn_brown.jpg

good post,

It has got me thinking, on Sat I saw a lefthanded cherry burst 2011 std same as mine but a cherry burst like my epiphone lp,

looking at my Gib Les Paul it is nowhere near as red as the one I saw in the store?

I figure the letters on my card are

LP STD = Les Paul Std

HS = ?

CH = Chrome Hardware

LH = left handed

1 = not a second

anyone have any idea of the colour?

thanks in advance!

Big Kahune... thanks for that info...I'm glad you also agree it is a goof. I offered to send the folks at Gibson a photo of the double cut when they said the product code was that of an SG, but they said their email wasn't set up to accept photos. Oh well we all know its a Double Cut..NOT an SG.

• Like 1

Welcome.

It's shorthand. And Gibson isn't always consistent with what the individual letters mean. Here's a couple of examples.

LPS6GTNH1 = Les Paul Standard 60's Neck Gold Top Nickel Hardware, the "1" signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd (a holdover from when Gibson sold seconds - cosmetically flawed).

LPPCHBGH1 = Les Paul Premium (figured top) Custom Honey Burst Gold Hardware

Yours - LPTDSZCH1 - Les Paul TD SZ Chrome Hardware - the TD I'm not sure, might have something to do with the top; the SZ is in the spot where the finish is usually coded. You can email Gibson with the serial# and model# at service@gibson.com for a translation.

TD may mean Traditional. Just a guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread. The model code cracking just helped me get an LP Standard faded for a very reasonable price:)

Here are 2 more codes:

LPSFHBNH1 - Les Paul Standard Faded Honey Burst Nickel Hardware 1

LPJ-PBCH1 - Les Paul Junior Pelham Blue Chrome Hardware 1

Cheers, Darko

• 2 years later...

.......dunno, but Steve has it sussed

LP = Les Paul

N = Nashville

STD = Standard

P = Plus

TS = Tea Burst

CH = Chrome hardware

1 = First run (Not a second)

For what it's worth mine is LPNSTDPLHSCH1

Easy enough from Steve's post to work out that I have a Nashville standard, plus, left hand, heritage sunburst with chrome hardware, 1st run