Gibson Brands Forums

Searcy's Bench

Searcy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks in construction LIKE a Firebird pup, and I forget the guys name who designed these. But, it is like a 'second gen' version.

So, I might say a Thunderbird, except from following your threads I happen to have a clue that it might be from a particular bass you have been working on.

Also, I see no reason why a pup for a Thunderbird, or Firebird derivative wouldn't be used on other types of basses. It seems more likely than unlikely.

Final answer: Ripper.

It looks in construction LIKE a Firebird pup, and I forget the guys name who designed these. But, it is like a 'second gen' version.

So, I might say a Thunderbird, except from following your threads I happen to have a clue that it might be from a particular bass you have been working on.

Also, I see no reason why a pup for a Thunderbird, or Firebird derivative wouldn't be used on other types of basses. It seems more likely than unlikely.

Final answer: Ripper.

Yes! Ripper it is. This one is personal. I'm using it to build some copies for my 78 Ripper Bass project.

Ripper2.jpg

• 5 months later...

Ok, these are called Single-Buckers. The magnets structure is similar in concept to a Gibson Charlie Christian pickup. They were found on guitars from National, Supro

Small2887389614_59a1291966_b.jpg

One issue with them is that they had paper bobbins. When people open them up they usually destroy them. This one I'm working on this week needed a totally new bobbin made for it.

I love these pickups! If you have a pair for sale or make copies I would be very interested..

• 3 weeks later...

This is a pickup being tested in my test guitar "The Booger". I think it was an Ibanez Road Star at one point. It has a great neck and I bet it has had more different types of pickups in it that any other guitar on earth.

551947_517901224917705_1395171703_n.jpg

This is a pickup being tested in my test guitar "The Booger". I think it was an Ibanez Road Star at one point. It has a great neck and I bet it has had more different types of pickups in it that any other guitar on earth.

551947_517901224917705_1395171703_n.jpg

Yes...been waiting for this thread to be updated msp_biggrin.gif

What type of mini humbucker is that? As modding goes, this puts my tele to shame. Whats actually stock?

Searcy, is it possible to fix a 79 Gibson super humbucker (tar back) pickup. I just checked my 79 Explorer, did not even know those were in there but the neck one reads about 8K I believe and the bridge reads around 5K. It actually doesn't sound bad, keeps the neck from getting too muddy but I was just wondering if they were fixable.

Searcy, is it possible to fix a 79 Gibson super humbucker (tar back) pickup. I just checked my 79 Explorer, did not even know those were in there but the neck one reads about 8K I believe and the bridge reads around 5K. It actually doesn't sound bad, keeps the neck from getting too muddy but I was just wondering if they were fixable.

They were supposed to be about 1.5x higher in output than the original humbuckers werent they? Is one of the coils dead?

1364182916[/url]' post='1350770']

They were supposed to be about 1.5x higher in output than the original humbuckers werent they? Is one of the coils dead?

I'd have to check again but I don't think the bridge was higher than 8.5k. I assume there's a problem if its reading as low as 5k for the neck.

That's not a humbucker Krock. It's a Kay "Zippo" pickup and pick guard from a 1966 Kay Vanguard guitar. Those are freaky little single coils that were made by the DeArmond company.

Kay-Vanguard.jpg

Being a test guitar, the Booger never keeps its pickups long.

max11270615_zps797a3741.jpg

SmallBooger1_zpscd5429a5.jpg

I'd have to check again but I don't think the good was higher than 8.5k. I assume there's a problem if its reading as low as 5k for the neck.

Were you reading this pickup with it installed in the guitar?

Archived