Gibson Brands Forums

Searcy's Bench

Searcy

Yes. But I think I took it out to confirm. Man, I must be getting old. But it seems like I remember soldering it back in just a couple of weeks ago.

Well, here's my thoughts.

1. Those reading are screwy. If anything we would want the neck pickup to read lower than the bridge.

2. You say it sounds good. I wouldn't fix what isn't broke. Don;'t worry about what the meter tells you. Trust your ears.

3. I've not tried to tackle one of those full epoxy potted guitar humbuckers but I'd be willing to try it sometime.

4.See 2.

5.See my signature.

[thumbup]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize Booger is a bucket, but I really like it.

I normally, almost never go in for graphics, and perhaps not green either. But I really, REALLY like what going on here, the graphics (tatoos?) and that shade of green are really getting to me. I would PLAY something like that.

I have GAS for Booger. If I need to have my head checked, so be it. But Booger is awesome.

1364251027[/url]' post='1351195']

Well, here's my thoughts.

1. Those reading are screwy. If anything we would want the neck pickup to read lower than the bridge.

2. You say it sounds good. I wouldn't fix what isn't broke. Don;'t worry about what the meter tells you. Trust your ears.

3. I've not tried to tackle one of those full epoxy potted guitar humbuckers but I'd be willing to try it sometime.

4.See 2.

5.See my signature.

[thumbup]

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have done a lot of repairs since the flood. New pickups have been more rare as my shop is still in a state of chaos. I spent this week end working on that though. Things are starting to clean up. Next I have to do some organizing and parts inventory. In the next few weeks I hope to have some pictures of the new prototype humbuckers and strat humbuckers.You aint seen nothing like them.

• 1 year later...

Today I'm going to show you how to do a little trick with braided Gibson pickup lead wire. Check it out.

0E98DDF4-9B2A-4B04-8BE7-6495CAB6A6F1_zpskkofikbj.jpg

This is what it looks like

C814F413-4C58-481C-9117-CA6C9A233B37_zpsiadsgie8.jpg

This stuff is called Braided Push Back wire. Push a little back at the end so that the braid is lose on the signal wire.

51EEA27E-9F88-436C-99A9-FBFF1043856A_zpsxdcusptw.jpg

This is what we are going for. We want a little fat place in the braid.

AE59D287-35B9-44E7-8A91-2D26A335E114_zpsb3cquyiw.jpg

Now used the probe from your multimeter to work a little hole in the braid. You're just pushing the weave around. not really cutting a hole.

B7DFBA73-4D4A-49DC-9AE1-4B72EAE7E5EB_zps9tpryaui.jpg

This is what we are after.

A44FD5A9-EA24-4A79-9181-B037962A869B_zpsxqudxtjb.jpg

Working it a little more.

BB9F96A9-3B1E-44DC-8463-B265C1638696_zpst7ux49y0.jpg

Eventually you will have all the braiding cleared from one side and there will be enough room to slide your probe behind the signal wire.

EB195CA2-6887-48A7-9AF2-9375D06DFEA1_zpskz0ssjaw.jpg

Get the idea?

7B337BB8-5AE8-4AC5-93C2-157C74272D6A_zpsjrnlcgdf.jpg

Then just pull the signal wire the rest of the way out of the braided shield.

This can be a handy trick for wiring up a guitar where the signal and the ground are in very different places inside the control cavity.

Today I'm going to show you how to do a little trick with braided Gibson pickup lead wire. Check it out.

This can be a handy trick for wiring up a guitar where the signal and the ground are in very different places inside the control cavity.

Frikken awesome man.... Just perfect (and really obvious now ive seen the pics [rolleyes] )...

You are da man.. cheers [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived