Gibson Brands Forums

Searcy's Bench

Searcy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pickup was from a series of pickups I made around 2003 for Madison Wisconsin luthier Ellie Erickson. They were all single coils stuffed into odd things like Altoids tins and the like. They were held together with screws and beat up to go with Ellie's post apocalyptic steam punk aesthetic at the time. This one suffered a short at some point from the screws holding the cover on and is now back in my shop. I'm going to convert it to my SSW1 coil style and install it in the 1988 Les Paul DC I've been goofing around with lately.

16265490_1398190923538168_9042732522727038928_n.jpg?oh=3405260dc73ab5be21b0b1ba229f0ec8&oe=594A1865

Well for this one I started by sanding most of the chrome finish off the mini humbucker cover. Then I applied a vinyl sticker of my logo on it and sprayed it all black and then I pealed off the vinyl stickers and sanded the black paint through in places so it would look older than it was.

So if someone sends you a guitar,you can strip all the electronics redo them so it sounds nothing like it did? If yes what would be the cost of a project like that?

I can change the sound of a guitar by rewiring.

What it would cost would depend on if I was interested in doing the job. I have found that for the most part guitar players have no idea what they want or how guitars work so it's rare for me to take on custom work any more.

1485794043[/url]' post='1831667']

I can change the sound of a guitar by rewiring.

What it would cost would depend on if I was interested in doing the job. I have found that for the most part guitar players have no idea what they want or how guitars work so it's rare for me to take on custom work any more.

I've got 3 sg specials with crescent moon inlays, I was thinking I would take one apart and get customized pickups for it and do the work myself. Would have to read up on it see what else I'd have to do,because I don't know crap about electric guitars. Living where I do,you learn to do it yourself or you drive a 100 miles and pay someone who might know less than you. I'm up for a challenge anyway.

This pickup was from a series of pickups I made around 2003 for Madison Wisconsin luthier Ellie Erickson. They were all single coils stuffed into odd things like Altoids tins and the like. They were held together with screws and beat up to go with Ellie's post apocalyptic steam punk aesthetic at the time. This one suffered a short at some point from the screws holding the cover on and is now back in my shop. I'm going to convert it to my SSW1 coil style and install it in the 1988 Les Paul DC I've been goofing around with lately.

16265490_1398190923538168_9042732522727038928_n.jpg?oh=3405260dc73ab5be21b0b1ba229f0ec8&oe=594A1865

That looks cool S

earcy

4H

Well for this one I started by sanding most of the chrome finish off the mini humbucker cover. Then I applied a vinyl sticker of my logo on it and sprayed it all black and then I pealed off the vinyl stickers and sanded the black paint through in places so it would look older than it was.

Neat thanks for letting me know! Have you ever tried etching? I was reading about a method you can do with salt water and a battery which is much more appealing to me than ferric chloride

• 1 month later...

I ended up reworking that one one last time with some voice over for clarification.

I have changed my video method and it's messing me up in places. :-k

What a great idea for a pickup. Would like to have heard a little more of the sound.

That was fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Good stuff, Searcy. Your profile says you're in Nashville. Do you have a shop there or do you do work out of your home? I'm not too far away from you in Kentucky. Would you mind sending me a PM some time to discuss? Do you have a website?

Archived