Gibson Brands Forums

The Best Acoustic Guitar Ever! Period!!!

What is a D-28 12?

12 string?

It's actually called a D-12-28 and yes it is a 12 string dreadnaught in the 28 style.

I own an HD-28V which is like a D-28 but it has forward shifted scalloped braces and a modified V neck. A few other differences than a regular D-28 like open gear tuners very similat to Waverly's. Many regard this as one of the best Martin Dreadnaughts.

It is a cannon. Loud and in your face bass response without being boomy.

This is the guitar that the angels play because it sonds like heaven. Even if you are not an acoustic player you owe it to yourself to try one out the next time you are in a store that sells Martins. Your world may change.

One of the most expensive acoustic guitars listed in many catalogues and books dedicated to vintage guitars is the pre WW II Martin D-28s.Neil Young happens to own own that's worth well north of $200,000 and thee are only a handful around that could draw that kind of cash.When I heard Marty Stuart last both he and Kenny Vaughn were using D-28s that appeared to be of a 50s vintage.When I was chatting to them after the show I remarked that even though I always craved a Martin I never had one to which Marty replied:"Everybody should own a Martin."Within the past few days I read an interview with a famous player/collector but can't for the life of me remember who,but this guy said that the very best Martins were the 50s and earlier with some models of the 60s being exceptional too.

BTW there is a downside to reading too many guitar books and magazines etc. and that's that you try to absorb so much information from different sources in a short time period,that you forget who said what but somehow remember the gist of what they said.At the present time I have at least 5 different guitar magazines on the go as well as a couple of guitar books.Being a music fanatic and compulsive reader can be a PITA at times.

The challange that guitar manufacturers have regarding quality wood is not lost on Martin. This is true for acoustic guitars even more so than electrics. Brazillian Rosewood was readily available. To buy a new guitar with Braxillian Rosewood that a manufacturer may have in stock is way expensive. The other factors that make a '59 LP so expensive are even more true for Martin since their best years are even older than Gibson solid bodies.

There ared loads of botique makers but the D28 and it's ilk are the standard by wich all other guitars are judged.

Martin di invent X bracing, scalloped bracing, and the dreadnaught shape. In one way all other similar guitars are just copies of a Martin albeit some are excellent as well. Gibson does not even come close.

True story, Yep I have owned 2 D28s a standard and a herringbone. Traded them both in one for a Gibson Hummingbird and the other for a PRS special order hollowbody. never looked back, Martins IMO are are over rated. Nice guitars but kind of underwhelming.

What a buddy of mine once said to me, 'a Martin has the grand piano sound while the Gibson has the woody sound'! I have a HD-28 and the sound is very full and open. The Gibbys I have, J-185 is a bright sounding guitar whereas the J-45, has a very rich full tone. The J-45 is an iconic guitar, almost every one you know plays one. Can't compare these three guitars as one is a dreadnaught, one is a jumbo and the other is a round shoulder. Each has their own characteristics. Even the old Fender F-220 I have has a great tone. I love them all

There can be no "best" acoustic guitar since people want them to do different things.

I'm happy for anyone who has a Martin..... I personally find them boring, (but that's just me).

My Brother-In-Law bought a D28 from my brother. My brother bought it used from Tony, who owns a guitar store, (the guy who sets up all my guitars), and

when we last got together, my nephew was playing it and realized it was the same Martin he sold to Tony years before.

So the same Martin has been owned by three family members.

A D28 is on my bucket list but truth be told when I was purchasing my first "real" acoustic, I say "real" because all my other acoustics were in the 300-500 range, it came down to 5 choices and ultimately 2. The D28 and a J45. I didn't want to buy the J45 because it was Gibson month and the sales guy was really pushing it. I can't stand that kind of sales so I kept looking for another option. But I couldn't. It always came down to the sound and every time for me the J45 won out.

I have 2 rules when I purchase guitars.

1) Acoustics - Sound is number one - I can adjust to the feel.

2) Electrics - Feel is number one - I can adjust the sound.

And as others have already said,, trying to label one guitar as the best ever is ludicrous.

Because opinions are like A$$hole$,, everybody has one.

Archived