Gibson Brands Forums

Value of a 1950 J-50

MacNichol

Hello,

I own a small guitar store and am considering a trade with a customer for a 1950 J-50. I searched online but couldn't find any comparable guitars with values. I would appreciate any feedback or estimates on the value of this guitar. Here's a video:Gibson J-50

Here's how the owner describes it.

"The Gibson J-50 is original, without cracks but has scratches, playing wear, finish/weather checking.

There is a small round hole that was filled in next to the end pin, for a past jack insert."

Thanks in advance.

There should be some comparables out there. Here's some from gbase.

Looking at the video, and gauging by the J-50s at gbase and others I've seen from that general period, I would venture that the value might range from 4500-5500 retail, so allowing for a trade you'd have to do your own math.

The guitar does not have the tapered head, from what I can see, so I wonder if it might be a 1951. (A '52 would bear the FON letter "Z" on the neck block...)

Whatever you offer, I would discount it by at least $7.95 for a set of strings! [biggrin]

Fred

I feel you should really take caution and go with the slow market as there's a glut of J45's and 50's out there...people trying to cash in and such. I don't think you could dump a 1950 J50 in the real market right now for more than $3,000. 4 max. That is...if it is indeed all original. That PU access should have been run THROUGH the endpin, not adjacent to it. Duh!

The value of an old acoustic is in the cleared check. Here's a guitar that should sell in the 4G range...well maybe 3 yrs ago, if it's in orig condition. Let's see if it even hits 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160892104225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That one has a few cosmetic challenges, but not killer on a 51-52. I just walked away from a $3,500 deal on a 52 j-45 with an over-spray. The video appears to show some fretboard wear / divots? If the neck angle is fine and not a reset candidate, I would imagine a $3,500 range is reasonable if it doesn't need a lot of fret work. It might sit on your rack for a year, but if the neck is good, and the sound is there, a buyer will come by. I'm a player, not a collector, so I went the direction of new.

That is a very 'spooky video' with no words and a lot of 'creaks' ! I also hate to see a guitar pictured 'un-strung'! Kind of 'wierds me out'....like something is wrong!

Other than that....looks to be very nice for the age!

Rod

It's hard to put a value on it without seeing the inside and knowing what work is needed. A refret, neck set, and some loose braces (typical work on a guitar like that) can add up quick. The case adds some value but the guitar is not going to fly out of your store. It has some later features like the belly bridge, plus the filled hole and prior pickup will bother buyers. I have seen damaged bridge plates and braces from pickup removal. Get some inside pictures.

Archived