What's your home recording setup?

thouston

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my head

me and my bro jam and try to remember the good stuff

it sucks

i'm in the market for a recording unit though i just need something with massive memory

any suggestions?

(p.s. my bro plays drums' date=' in case it matters)[/quote']

You mean a big hard drive? Are you just going to record yourself & your brother, and maybe an entire band?

If you've never recorded, but can operate a cassette deck, than one of the BOSS BR recorders would be great for you. They are easy to learn to operate, you'll spend more time recording, than trying to figure out how to record.

The next question, is how much do you want to spend?

The BOSS BR recorders are quite nice. There are many types of 'computer' programs as well that will do what you want, though they can go from simple and easy to 'pain in the ***' and complicated. I have messed with Guitar Tracks, Ableton and Sony Acid. Myself, I can do the very basic with them but these programs are capable of doing some amazing things.

Download some of the demos and see what you might like.

The BOSS BR recorders are quite nice. There are many types of 'computer' programs as well that will do what you want' date=' though they can go from simple and easy to 'pain in the ***' and complicated. I have messed with Guitar Tracks, Ableton and Sony Acid. Myself, I can do the very basic with them but these programs are capable of doing some amazing things.

Download some of the demos and see what you might like.[/quote']

I don't recommend PC based recording software until I know if a person is knowledgeable on computers first. I sometimes use Reaper ($50/home use) and a Edirol UA-4FX.

Reaper has loads of plugins, has a small memory footprint and is pretty easy to learn, if a person is familiar with recording terms and technique.

I have over 200 songs on Soundclick, where I recorded lead guitar to backing tracks from another forum. Almost all the tracks were recorded on my BR-600, and some using Reaper.

The BOSS BR recorders are quite nice. There are many types of 'computer' programs as well that will do what you want' date=' though they can go from simple and easy to 'pain in the ***' and complicated. I have messed with Guitar Tracks, Ableton and Sony Acid. Myself, I can do the very basic with them but these programs are capable of doing some amazing things. [/quote']

I have Cubase 4 and it's great. It handles both analog and MIDI inputs and comes with a number of preset sounds for your keyboard trigger (or you can program them in) as well as effects (delay, reverb, etc.). The learning process is steep but well worth it in the end.

I have a Digidesign 002R, an Octepre LE with ADAT card option to get to the other eight inputs of the 002, and a variety of outboard gear, plus a Tascam US2400 control surface, a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors (the newer models), a paid of KRK canary yellow Rockit 6 monitors (I think that's what they are called), and its run with a Mac Pro quad 2.66GHz machine attached to a 30" Apple Cinema display. I've also got about every software program known to man for use on the Mac, plus some Windows software I run on the dedicated Bootcamp drive on my machine. Its a disease. A dreadful, expensive disease.

I have a Mac G5, 22" Apple Cinema Display, Digi002R, Protools LE 7.4, Logic 7, Reasons 3, KRK Monitors w/Subwoofer, Guitar Rig 2 & 3, Amplitube 1 & Live2, Waves GTR3, Stealth Plug, Shure SM-57, MXL Condensor, Shure SM-58, Behringer ADA8000, Boss DR670, Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Combo, Boss GT-10, Pavel Aryel Deluxe 6-string Bass, LowEnd 5-string Jazz Bass, Fender American Strat w/Dimarzio stacked humbuckers, Martin DC Aura Acoustic Gtr., Gibson Les Paul Classic!

I'm looking to add a Line 6 Pod XT and the Amplitube 2 plugin!

-fc

I have a Digidesign 002R' date=' an Octepre LE with ADAT card option to get to the other eight inputs of the 002, and a variety of outboard gear, plus a Tascam US2400 control surface, a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors (the newer models), a paid of KRK canary yellow Rockit 6 monitors (I think that's what they are called), and its run with a Mac Pro quad 2.66GHz machine attached to a 30" Apple Cinema display. I've also got about every software program known to man for use on the Mac, plus some Windows software I run on the dedicated Bootcamp drive on my machine. Its a disease. A dreadful, expensive disease.[/quote']

WOW! Let's hear some of your music :-&

It appears we suffer from the same disease. :-&

I have a Mac G5' date=' 22" Apple Cinema Display, Digi002R, Protools LE 7.4, Logic 7, Reasons 3, KRK Monitors w/Subwoofer, Guitar Rig 2 & 3, Amplitube 1 & Live2, Waves GTR3, Stealth Plug, Shure SM-57, MXL Condensor, Shure SM-58, Behringer ADA8000, Boss DR670, Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Combo, Boss GT-10, Pavel Aryel Deluxe 6-string Bass, LowEnd 5-string Jazz Bass, Fender American Strat w/Dimarzio stacked humbuckers, Martin DC Aura Acoustic Gtr., Gibson Les Paul Classic!

I'm looking to add a Line 6 Pod XT and the Amplitube 2 plugin!

-fc[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...

Windows laptop, SONAR 8.02 with tons of plug-ins, 2 Audix i5 dynamic mics, 1 Sterling Audio ST59 condensor mic, Novation x-station keyboard/synth/midi controller, Presonus Firewire audio interface, Alesis firewire mixer, Taylor K4 preamp/EQ.

I have an old TASCAM Pocketstudio 5, but I've moved on to recording with my PC. I use a Lexicon Lambda interface and Sony software -- just upgraded to ACID Pro 7 and Sound Forge 9 -- the learning curve is steep! I have a Line 6 PODxt and a bunch of stomp boxes and plug-ins. No mikes, so far all of my recording is direct.

I'm Still useing the recording gear that I used to make my first CD. I record on a korg CR-4 4 track recorder while jammen and or trying thigs out I don't want to lose. When I get down to the real recording I have a Korg 1600 D. It's old but it does the job. My monitors are Samson and so is my Stereo studio amp. My key boards are Korg. My guitars are Gibson family. My amps, PA Equip.,And Mixers are Peavey./Later

Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

22.jpg

18.jpg

Korg D1600 16-track, Avalon VT-737sp, Studio Project C3 mic, Yamaha S90ES 88-key, Kramer Bass, Ovation Acoustic, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, WaveLab for mastering, DR770 drum machine, Nuendo 2.0, Various computers (laptop and Desktop), RME sound card w/b-box.

Make my living with computers, but prefer a dedicated machine for recording as in the D1600.

I have the Boss BR-1600

KRK Rokit monitors

2 MXL condenser mics

1 Octava condenser

This is a step up from the 4 track yamaha cassette I used to use. Funny at the time that 4 track was almost top of the line when I bought it.

my head

me and my bro jam and try to remember the good stuff

it sucks

i'm in the market for a recording unit though i just need something with massive memory

any suggestions?

(p.s. my bro plays drums' date=' in case it matters)[/quote']

LOL! So, are you saying your drummer has special remembering cools licks abilities?

• 2 weeks later...

Old - but still useful Roland VS 1680 with FX card. The COSM guitar effects are absolutely dire, but the reverb and mastering EQ/compression are excellent. 2 free PC based systems worth trying are Audacity and Krystal. I had niggles with Audacity, but I've heard some very good results from others using it - many free plug - ins also available.

Archived