Gibson Brands Forums

1939 Gibson made upright bass

g.c.

Hello all, I am looking for a good home for my 1939 Gibson Upright. These are great conversation pieces and thought I would get a thread rolling just to see what people know about them. Does anyone know how many were made?

Wow that thing looks clean! I am unfamiliar with these fretless Gibsons but have been hoping to get my hands on one someday. Looks like some birdseye maple on the back judging from the shot of the label. Can you get a shot of the back posted?

The top looks like spruce from the pictures. Is it solid? Surely it is laminate but I don't know.

Most important- how does it sound??

Wow that thing looks clean! I am unfamiliar with these fretless Gibsons but have been hoping to get my hands on one someday. Looks like some birdseye maple on the back judging from the shot of the label. Can you get a shot of the back posted?

The top looks like spruce from the pictures. Is it solid? Surely it is laminate but I don't know.

Most important- how does it sound??

The top is laminate Spruce. Back and sides bird's eye maple. I still play wound cat gut strings from the 40s and it sounds very good. The bass is in incredible condition suffering only superficial scratches. let me know your email address and I can send you more photos.

My Uncle was the original owner and was a jazz player in the 40s and 50s. His mother had bought the bass new for him when he was 19. No one famous, just a guy who loved playing Jazz. As I grew he knew my interest in music and let me borrow the bass because he no longer used it. It was probably three years with the instrument when an acquaintance noticed that it was a Gibson. Since then I have done some research and dabbled in selling it every once in awhile but it is a hard thing to let go of. 15 years with the bass and I now have come to the decision that I am violin player and the Gibson needs to find a good home.

Otherwise I have seen some go up for sale on e-bay now and again. One in this condition would be very hard to find.

Those are fairly rare. Gibson only made them from 1939 to 1942.

Yes they are somewhat rare. One thing I have a question about is the interior construction. The luthier I go to says that the inside is a lot like a guitar with the extra corner support shown in the photo to the left of the serial number. Does anyone know if this is done by other bass makers?

post-47759-080198800 1349704403_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived