Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird Reverse 70s Tribute

provny

Greetings,

I was thinking about getting one of the recently released Firebird Tribute models. Strangely, I haven't been able to find any reviews (although I did watch a couple demos on YouTube).

They are relatively inexpensive, look nice (although not as cool looking as the more upscale Firebirds I've seen), and are available left handed (which is what I need).

Any comments or thoughts on these?

Also, I'm curious what Firebirds are mainly known for-- strictly for lead, or are they good for playing rhythm as well? (I'm still fairly new to guitar playing, and still haven't ventured far beyond the first five frets, except for playing power chords.)

Thanks for any insights or information you can provide.

It looks the part... [thumbup]

Firebirds are an aquired taste IMO and engender an enthusiastic following

Good as part of a collection rather than a sole guitar

Famous in the hands of players like Johnny Winter, Stephen Stills, Ron Wood, Brian Jones and even Eric Clapton

And certain soul funk players too

Generally lauded for their mini H/B's with a unique sound....

The hard-core Firebird has a beautiful walnut/mahogany through neck construction for tone and sustain...

Try one out extensively before buying... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

It looks the part... [thumbup]

Firebirds are an aquired taste IMO and engender an enthusiastic following

Good as part of a collection rather than a sole guitar

Famous in the hands of players like Johnny Winter, Stephen Stills, Ron Wood, Brian Jones and even Eric Clapton

And certain soul funk players too

Generally lauded for their mini H/B's with a unique sound....

The hard-core Firebird has a beautiful walnut/mahogany through neck construction for tone and sustain...

Try one out extensively before buying... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Versatile-- thanks for the information!

Well, just my personal opinion but:

stay away from Studio models. They sound nothing like a Firebird with those different humbuckers and they felt kinda "cheap" to me when I played one.

They might not be actually BAD guitars but I'd rather get a used Gibson Firebird from the early 2000s (like 2003 to 2006) than one of the modern Studios.

They're about the same price used as are the cheaper Studios new.

Might be a nice beginners guitar though.

As I said, this is my own personal opinion. You might decide otherwise but I seriously recommend not just testing them personally but even COMPARE them to a "real" Firebird if you get the chance!

I just got a 70s Tribute Firebird (vintage sunburst) and I love it! So far, no complaints. I like it better than the FB Studios they came out with a year or two ago, which seemed to be little more than a body shape with the same pickup configuration as any LP Studio. While granted the 70s Tribute lacks the center neck-through block and has different pickups, in some ways I prefer this over a more expensive Firebird, especially when it comes to not having to deal with those banjo tuners. (The 70s Tribute comes stock with Grover minis.) The only mod I'm considering is putting a Maestro Lyre box tremolo on it, but I might not do that for a while, if at all. The only concerns that I have with it that come to mind is the fretboard edges feel a little rough and could've been finished better, and none of the Gibson checklist that comes with it was filled out.

I haven't tried any of the '70's Tribute models, but I had both a Les Paul Deluxe with mini-'buckers and a '64 Firebird III back in the '70's. They sounded quite different from one another--generally, Firebird pickups tend to have more bite and twang than full-size humbuckers, and the Epiphone-style minis in the Deluxe were also pretty bright, with a bit less upper-mids than the Firebird, although some of that might have been due to the maple top on the Deluxe. Gibson intended the Firebird to compete with Fenders, and they do have some of that brightness, along with more output than most Fender single-coils. I'm not sure which mini-'bucker the '70's Tribute models are patterned after, but they should be a nice halfway point between a regular humbucker and a single-coil. I'm looking forward to trying one of the new '70's Tribute SG's--Firebirds don't hang right on me, although they sound great, and I've always thought that Gibson should have used those pickups on some different models--well, now they are...as long as the new pickups sound reasonably close to a Firebird.

"stay away from Studio models. They sound nothing like a Firebird with those different humbuckers and they felt kinda "cheap" to me when I played one.

They might not be actually BAD guitars but I'd rather get a used Gibson Firebird from the early 2000s (like 2003 to 2006) than one of the modern Studios.

Might be a nice beginners guitar though."

Well, I'll tell ya...

I've been playing Electric Guitar since 1956....and agree that playing Firebirds is an acquired taste......but having said that, my 2011 Firebird Studio Non-Reverse in Pelham Blue is a KILLER guitar, with tone to die for.

Yes it sounds different than one with traditional mini-humbuckers, but hey, that's why they make different pickups, right?....for a different tonal pallette.

I can assure you that my Gibson 2011 Firebird Studio is definitely NOT a beginners guitar...it's PRO quality, with PRO tone. And its a KEEPER.

I played a couple of 70 Tribute LPs (not Firebirds)... they feel just like your standard LP. I would agree they are a PRO guitar... it's all in what you want to hear.

Studio/Faded models are cheaper to produce in general (finishes mainly), the quality is just as good as ones that cost twice as much. They are not CS models, but what do you expect at that price point?!

"stay away from Studio models. They sound nothing like a Firebird with those different humbuckers and they felt kinda "cheap" to me when I played one.

Might be a nice beginners guitar though."

Well, I'll tell ya...

I've been playing Electric Guitar since 1956....and agree that playing Firebirds is an acquired taste......but having said that, my 2011 Firebird Studio Non-Reverse in Pelham Blue is a KILLER guitar, with tone to die for.

Yes it sounds different than one with traditional mini-humbuckers, but hey, that's why they make different pickups, right?....for a different tonal pallette.

I can assure you that my Gibson 2011 Firebird Studio is definitely NOT a beginners guitar...it's PRO quality, with PRO tone. And its a KEEPER.

Right on been playing36 years I don't think my non reverse is a beginners guitar beautiful for slide

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mean to offend anybody, I just stated my own personal opinion.

Tastes are different, so are expectations regarding quality and feel.

I just wasn't satisfied with those I played and I figured it might be my mileage (been playing for 30 years). On second thought: it might just be my personal taste.

Archived