Gibson Brands Forums

Sore fingers

jedzep's sarcasm aside, he's (she's) right. You just need to continue practicing until you build up callouses. I am also a beginner, been playing about 9 months, and went through the same thing.

Just be careful that you don't get them so sore that it is a deterrent to practice. If they get too sore take a break. Let them heal a little bit. One may not consciously realize it but if they get too sore your brain may go, "That is something that, when I do it, hurts me. I don't want to do that".

It happened to me.

BTW, I was on a trip the last week and didn't practice the entire time (10 days). Just got back to practicing and can tell it! Played a bunch yesterday and they are sore [mad][wink]

If I've not played for a while and get sore fingers again, I find a bit of E45 cream a few times a day takes the edge off the burning. Normally within three days it's no longer a problem as the skin's hardened up enough. (I don't have tough hands to begin with!)

I always recommend that beginners start playing a full step slack tuned, and build callouses without sacrificing the joy of playing. If you break the skin, it'll set you back. Having a decent electric around to switch off to is a plus.

• 4 weeks later...

When your fingers start to get sore put it down and come back tomorrow. A few weeks of practice time will build up the toughness and you wont have a problem. I too find that if I play my accoustic they will hurt more and I will switch to the electric for a day or so (finer strings and a lower set up ) which allows me to practice and still maintain the calluses on my fingers. Time heals all !

• 2 weeks later...

I notice everyone is replying with comments about callouses, but what about soreness due to stretching of the fingers? This is definitely something that causes soreness with beginning students. Just with any type of exercise, there will be soreness as you develop strength and flexibility. But don't over do it at first, that can lead to injury, such as RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury). Soreness can also be caused from having too much tension in the hand. Sometimes you don't realize it's tight until your hand is sore. Just be sure to take breaks when soreness starts to creep in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sometimes it seems to help to play for short intervals.....instead of constant. like if your fingers are already sore, you can play for like a min or so...and relax for a min or so...like...play for a bit and let your fingers rest, play a bit, rest, play, rest, play, rest.........etc...

• 5 months later...

I went from 3 or 5 hours a year to 2~3 hours a day of learning/practicing. Same boat!

*If you get a blister (I got a few and a few blood blisters) TAKE A BREAK! It needs to heal!

*Never forget to warm up your hands/fingers/wrists before playing for a long time.

*Take a day off once in a while. Learn about theory online, watch videos (watch your guitar heroes play and analyze everything)...

*I use rubbing alcohol a few times. It seems to dry the skin, although I'm not sure if this is good or bad, works for me (maybe placebo?)

*Clean strings or change them, I wouldn't believe how nasty the strings got as well as the fretboard.

*Don't worry it will fall into place with playing, soon you will NOT be able to use a smart phone with your "fret hand" lol

I am the new guy here and all these comments are great advise. I like the one about you can tune down a half or whole step, Also your guitar may need a set up. Even if you have just a acoustic they can be worked on and have the action lowered to help your situation. I remember my first guitar, The strings were like a inch off of the fret board. That made my fingers to get in shape fast. keep at it, practice a little at a time each day instead of playing for 3 hours straight. You will be surprised in a couple of weeks you will be good to go. The guitar has been my friend all my life. I hope I helped a little here, Good Luck and take it lite!........Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Try wearing the fingertip protector (also called the artificial callus). It is a guitar and ukulele accessory and was first released in 2016. It is designed for guitar or ukulele players to ease finger soreness and avoid calluses. With it, guitar or ukulele players can play as long as they want.

27494273325_3237793446.jpg

clever inventions aside,

there's one way through this gate,

Play it

everyday, 30 to 60 minutes.

once you get those callus in place, continue play your instrument and you will maintain your calluses and your skill level will improve.

when I person decides they want to start doing something like jogging, there are no short cuts to building up your endurance.

this is no different.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to beat a dead horse here but play it, play it again, and then play some more. Build up slowly but playing is the only way you'll get rid of the initial beginner finger soreness. If you're having your hand cramp up then take a break and stretch it out before giving it another go.

I talk to myself because I am the only one listening. A continuation of my experiences from the 60's and 70's, and having a wife ,6 children and 15 grands.Not too mention a number of in laws.+:-@

• 2 months later...

My kids are learning to play and have the same problem. Slackening the strings by tuning it down 1/2 or a full step and then using a capo to bring it up to standard pitch might be the easiest thing- also an electric or a nylon string will be easier on the fingers as a break. My finger tips are like rubber now, but if I play within an hour of taking a bath or shower my callouses can loosen and tear, so make sure you wait a bit to practice. Also, if I have a string of gigs all in a row I keep superglue in my case to coat my tips. It's been a gig and finger saver plenty.

RC

Archived