Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Advanced Jumbo Iron Mountain

Johnt

had a plonk on this the other day and bad Gas ensued!

Now I know little about AJs so could some kind soul point out any model quirks that I should look for before I try to resist slamming the plastic down?

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/Our-Catalogue/Gibson/Acoustics

BTW The vendor is well known in UK and belive it or not has a shop in Denmark Street!!

Thanks

John

weren't these maple back/sides instead of rosewood? i still think an AJ should have rosewood. does having a plonk mean you played it? i would definitely a/b it with a rosewood aj. if possible.

Yes thanks JG.

Someone else told me that , re the maple, also but this particular guitar sounded very good to me a tad brighter than the hog 45 I have somewhat akin to J200 with a little less rounded tone.

All of which makes sense I suppose.

You are correct though I must hunt down a RWAJ before committing, the Iron Mountain does command a premium and I do need to ensure that it merits same,

Having a plonk is a rather aged UK expression meaning playing or in my case trying to play!

Thanks for advice, I guess if anyone should know you should with your "herd" LOL

BR

John

john, i almost fell off my chair. 2500 pounds? yeesh. you boys got it bad.

JG is right - rw is the way to go. i played a maple aj a little while back and it was missing something. smaller bodied maples are a bit of a niche. too bad that 60's reissue black 45 sold. i'd have been all over that.

John... I have to say what a beauty!!! I am a lover of Maple guitars and my Maple small body Taylor 612C is very sweet and probably always will be my #1 guitar. That said, I would have to hear a Maple AJ. I assume the overtones were very noticble. To me AJ's scream rosewood but man, as good as that looks, I would love to get my hands on one. It would probably make a nice compliment to my Rosewood AJ.

john' date=' i almost fell off my chair. 2500 pounds? yeesh. you boys got it bad.

[/quote']

Yeah but that's right top end in retail that shop has Super 400s they won't even quote you for unless your name is Sheik Cunkhead!

Any way I might be freeing a little cash which I had committed elsewhere soon so.............................................

They don't really need Christmas present do they?

ME, ME, Its GOT TO BE ME!!!!

John....that is a BEAUTIFUL guitar.......From what you way' date=' it sounds pretty good. I"d say, go for it, whether or not it has rosewood or not. lol......That guitar would really inspire me to play....ain't that what it's all about???? Have fun[/quote']

I owned my SWD12 for three months before I knew it was rosewood.

An acoustic guitar to me firstly has to feel right, then sound right.

If a great sounding guitar was made from balsa wood my concern would be limited to it's longevity.

You, as is oft times the case, hit the nail on the head having an intsrument you WANT to pick up and which inspires you is excatly what it's all about to me.

I might have a simplistic view to some but then I am a simple man.

Archived