Gibson Brands Forums

SG standard / EB bass questions.

onemanband

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the weight difference between the EB and the SG standard basses. I've looked on the Gibson website, but can't find any reference to weights; also, anyone know of any dealer in the UK who has the EB in stock or when it will be available in the UK; I've had no luck tracking one down.

Cheers............Brian.

Hi you could order one from here

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_eb_bass.htm as for weight id guess there the same as a fender p bass give or take a bit

Cheers Eades, thanks for that. Reason I want a UK dealer is so that I could "test drive" it first; also, the one at Thomann is black, if I bought one it would have to be sunburst.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• 2 months later...

Cheers Eades, thanks for that. Reason I want a UK dealer is so that I could "test drive" it first; also, the one at Thomann is black, if I bought one it would have to be sunburst.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Owning 2 60's EB3's they are much lighter than a precision or jazz.

Let me know if you are still looking for one as the originals are much better than the SG bass IMHO

John

Owning 2 60's EB3's they are much lighter than a precision or jazz.

Let me know if you are still looking for one as the originals are much better than the SG bass IMHO

John

Cheers John, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The "EB" bass I was looking for is in fact a new model (see link below)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/EB-Bass.aspx

I never did have any luck tracking one down to try; I really fancied one as I wanted a long scale and that new model seemed ideal.

GAK had one in stock, but their store is too far away and anyway, it was a natural finish; I wanted a sunburst.

Cheers........Brian.

Check out Sweetwater.com Guitar Gallery (basses, Gibsons) Look up the EB, Then the SG. They give actual weights of the guitars, or basses shown in stock, and the photo of the actual instrument.

• 4 weeks later...

Would an SG bass, exactly like the one in this Sweetwater page, down to the color, in perfect condition, be worth $500?

http://www.sweetwate...il/BASFWCCH-13/

I know of one for sale locally.

If it's the same as shown on the link, and in perfecto condition, YES. I'd go for it. [thumbup]

Sorry but I think the question has been mis-understood.

The EB I referred to in the original post, is not the Cherry Red SG bass that is like the old EB0, EB3 or SG but Gibsons "new" EB model; it's is long scale and resembles a Fender Jazz bass, (see link below) and the weight is a critical factor for me.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/EB-Bass.aspx

Having searched the 'net, it appears there are currently not too many available in the UK as yet, but I'd love to try one. If I bought one it would have to be a sunburst.

Interesting posts though, thank you..........Brian

Answering your original question, the new style EB bass weighs about 8.5 pounds average, and the SG Std. bass about 7.5 pounds average weight. So the new EB bass weighs in about a pound heavier than the SG Std. bass.

Answering your original question, the new style EB bass weighs about 8.5 pounds average, and the SG Std. bass about 7.5 pounds average weight. So the new EB bass weighs in about a pound heavier than the SG Std. bass.

Cheers, thats what I wanted to confirm, now, can't wait to try one in the UK, but must be sunburst!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not weighed one, but I have picked up an EB recently. It seems very light for a long scale bass. It actually felt great, and it had a Gibson round neck instead of a Fender road-kill flat neck, but that's got nothing to do with weight. Compared to a Jazz bass, which seems to be what its most like, at least visually, it is a featherweight. I guess it's probably at least two, maybe three pounds lighter than a Jazz. They are all just a little different in weight, since wood isn't uniform and engineered. I'm not sure if is chambered or if they wood Gibson uses is that much lighter, since it looks like ash, not mahogany.

I would really like to hear what it sounds like in the coil-tapped mode....

It sounds a whole lot like a Fender Jazz.

EDIT: I should expand on this a little. It sounds like a Fender Jazz, except you don't have to think about any dead spots on the neck, since it's a set neck. There are more sounds available, since the pickups are humbuckers that can be coil tapped. The street price for the one I saw was better than the street price for a USA made Fender Jazz, so it's a more versatile bass at a slightly lower price. If I was in the market for a Fender Jazz, I would probably go for one of these instead. I'm not in the market, and unfortunately, most people who are don't know it exists. Too bad, since it's a good bass.

Archived