Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting points for ANY guitar player!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Gibson Learn and Master course and have learned more in a few days than I did with a private teacher in 10 months. I will continue with the lessons for now but will concentrate on the Gibsons course more than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamming with other pickers helps a great deal. Most anywhere where you are playing music with other people. Expose yourself to all kinds of guitar picking environments. DVDs can also be very helpful. Learning some music theory. The more you play, the more you're likely to improve. AND, if you know that you have a bad habit, get it corrected now.

Jamming with other pickers helps a great deal. Most anywhere where you are playing music with other people. Expose yourself to all kinds of guitar picking environments. DVDs can also be very helpful. Learning some music theory. The more you play, the more you're likely to improve. AND, if you know that you have a bad habit, get it corrected now.

Very true, bad habits are something are usually exposed when jamming. Best to always think of original ideas on the fly!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use every resource I can find. My own experience is that Learn & Master is OK ... JamPlay is OK ... GuitarTricks.com is excellent. All of these have unfortunate problems with their names. You will NOT "Master" guitar with the first one. "Play" doesn't sound right for a study resource to me, and "Tricks" conjures up the image of a snake oil salesman. I have found guitartricks to be the most complete, well structured, professionally done resource I've seen in a while.

I also buy transcribed books, scour the net for vids ... justin is pretty darn good too.

Theory and learning the fretboard by whatever means opened it all up for me. Makes everything else doable, IMO. No substitute for knowing what notes are being played and where to find them. You know, understanding the language you're trying to communicate with and all that :)

I also picked up a bass recently. Playing bass along with familiar tunes is a great way to focus on "parts" as well as timing and rhythm. And it's fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

Totally agree. My biggest jumps in improvement always came from something I learned while jamming with other people or realizing there was something I needed to get better at if I was going to jam with friends.

• 9 months later...

When i learned to play, there was no internet,CD's, DVD, or even Video tapes. I learned listing to vinyl records of bands like Zeppelin, cream, a lot of Hendrix. I would just play a section of the song over and over and figure it out note by note, and every second I was not in school or sleeping, i would be playing. Then jamming with older guys, who were quick to point out if you were playing something not quite right. then I would practice what they showed me over and over again. from the time i was 11 until about 30 i played at least 8 hours a day, mainly just because it is my favorite thing to do. So i would say, Listing to a song over and over, playing with older more experienced musicians, and practice, practice, practice. then eventually, when you hear a song, instead of hearing the song, you hear "E" "D" "A", and most of all is patients and wanting to play really bad. Don't ever let anyone discourage you.

Archived