Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone got a 1962 50th Anniversary Sheraton?

ant7629

The red looks stunning, but I have many a red guitar so I guess I should vary it a little. Gonna try and find a store that has one on display, but I'm sure they will be nice.

I've been waiting for something like this to be released for a long time. I've always wanted an Elitist Sheraton but they are hard to come by. Given the current build quality of the Chinese Epiphones, and the fact these have USA pickups, I'd can't resist. Hard case too!

Ant

Don't think there in the shops yet. Pre-order only. Love the cherry and sunburst...

they're out in the shops over here now...check out www.guitarvillage.co.uk! They have sold their sunburst Sheraton but still have the cherry models in. They look so much better than the epi photos.

Very tempted with the vibrotone cherry model.

they're out in the shops over here now...check out www.guitarvillage.co.uk! They have sold their sunburst Sheraton but still have the cherry models in. They look so much better than the epi photos.

Very tempted with the vibrotone cherry model.

They're also (currently) available at Andertons in Guildford. From their site they have in stock - 6 natural, 5 sunburst, 5 cherry without trem and 6 cherry with trem. All the non trem models are £599.00 and the trem model is £629.00.

No sign of the Sorrento that I'm waiting for unfortunately.

I'm the opposite im worried that the build quality is going to be as bad as the 345 & 355 where the knobs fall off and jack stops working.

Really? Thats a little worrying. Last few Chinese made Epis I have had have been great.

I guess I really will have to buy in store rather than online

They're also (currently) available at Andertons in Guildford. From their site they have in stock - 6 natural, 5 sunburst, 5 cherry without trem and 6 cherry with trem. All the non trem models are £599.00 and the trem model is £629.00.

No sign of the Sorrento that I'm waiting for unfortunately.

Hmmm trip down to Guildford may be on the cards this Saturday then

GREAT, I don't have enough GAS now you show me that....

Seriously I'm going on a quest for one in Sunburst, I loved my first Sherry and always wanted an older one with the mini humbuckers.

Now Frequensator tailpiece or a Tremotone tremelo tailpiece?

The wife will kill me, I just got the Suhr 2 weeks ago but these are just too cool.

Thanks again [flapper]

<<<EDIT>>>

Hmm looks like Tremotone only come on the Cherry Sherry (nice ring to that) and I love RED guitars.... But Epi archtops in Sunburst just look right to me, so that answers which tailpiece.

$800 case included (that case usually runs ~ $100). Sounds like a great price. I paid that for the Sherry II.

Pre-ordering now.

BTW ant7629, did I say THANKS yet! [biggrin]

This shop is pretty cool you can compare the actual guitars they have side by side and choose the one that has the wood grain you like. Click compare the 2 guitars on this page:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETC2NAGH3/sn12081502373

"COMPARE! Here are all the serial numbers of this model we have in stock. Compare them all and select your favorite!"

This shop is pretty cool you can compare the actual guitars they have side by side and choose the one that has the wood grain you like. Click compare the 2 guitars on this page:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETC2NAGH3/sn12081502373

"COMPARE! Here are all the serial numbers of this model we have in stock. Compare them all and select your favorite!"

They look great!! In fact, I have decided on a Natural after seeing that. Case looks nice too.

Example serial number is 12081500247. Does that mean this is a Japan because it doesn't start with letters? I read someone thought 1962s are made in Indonesia. Has anyone seen the made in where label yet?

Mine has a 'Hand crafted in China' sticker on the back of the headstock.

From Wikipedia:

YYMMFF12345

• YY = Year
  • MM = Month
  • FF = Factory
  • 12345 = Production number

FACTORY NUMBER CODES—for some models starting in 2008, if serial # begins w/numbers

[NOTE: The factories identified by these codes are based on patterns that forum members have observed. The numbers appear as the 5th and sixth digits in the serial number.]

• 11 = MIC sticker on a '08 Masterbuilt
  • 12 = DeaWon or Unsung (China—uncertainty remains as to which factory)
  • 15 = Qingdao (China) -- electric
  • 16 = Qingdao (China) -- acoustic
  • 17 = China - factory unknown MIC sticker on a J160E
  • 18 = China - factory unknown found on one 2009 model bass
  • 20 = DaeWon or Unsung (China—uncertainty remains as to which factory)
  • 21 = Unsung, Korea
  • 22 = ??? Korea (factory still unknown)
  • 23 = ??? Indonesia (factory still unknown, probably Samick,)
  • I = Indonesia (this letter has appeared as the 5th digit on two authentic new models made in Indonesia

I'll try and get some decent pictures put up over the weekend.

photo1.jpg

My two local stores received a few of these on Friday, so I went over the weekend to check them out.

I have a Korean Sheraton II and only recently purchased one of the Chinese custom shop Riviera re-issues (in cherry with mini-humbuckers and frequensator tailpiece).

Due to the similarities between the guitars, my intention going to the store was only to "have a look".

After seeing them in person and a few minutes of playing, I felt that this was too good to turn down.

I played three of these over the weekend for around an hour (2x natural, 1 x cherry) before opting for the cherry.

The finish on all three I played was beautiful.

The only minor criticism is that the paintwork on the inside of the f-holes looks a little sloppy (this was not noticable on the natural finish).

I think a few people also reported this with the ES-345 / ES-355 re-issues. You need to be looking very hard to see this - apart from this, I can find no fault.

The action was perfect straight out of the store with no additional setup.

When I got home, I played it through my amp alongside the Riviera and Sheraton II - it was only then that I started to fully appreciate the differences.

The re-issue Sheraton (for me) definitely feels like a step up in quality in comparison - this is due to the better quality tuners, electronics and the significant difference the Gibson USA pickups make.

The neck feels slightly smaller in comparison with the Sheraton II.

The guitar has not gone out of tune despite playing for the best part of three days and there is no buzzing / crackling when adjusting the toggle swith or volume / tone controls.

The pickups sound very clear / sharp / bright - you can instantly hear the improvement over the stock pickups used on the Riviera.

The guitar tech at the store had played one of the 80's Japanese Sheratons and he was of the opinion that these were better (this was after I had parted with my money).

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a new archtop or to anyone looking for a 60's style Sheraton without the vintage price tag.