Gibson Brands Forums

Hep Identify?

ulyman

I just picked this up yesterday at my local goodwill. It was sitting there and it looked old so I got it. Can someone tell me what it is. It's missing a couple of parts to hold one of the strings and there's a couple of big cracks on the side of the body. However, it still sounds good and the cracks don't appear to affect it. Where can I find parts so I can play it. Also, is this worth anything? I took it to my local guitar shop and the guy working there said it appears to be original and not fake. I pointed out the neck of the guitar because it felt different and he said it had the V neck style. I have no clue what that means. Thank you.

here's a link with more pics.

http://s109.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ulyman/library/gibson

post-48478-099165600 1351963720_thumb.jpg

I just picked this up yesterday at my local goodwill. It was sitting there and it looked old so I got it. Can someone tell me what it is. It's missing a couple of parts to hold one of the strings and there's a couple of big cracks on the side of the body. However, it still sounds good and the cracks don't appear to affect it. Where can I find parts so I can play it. Also, is this worth anything? I took it to my local guitar shop and the guy working there said it appears to be original and not fake. I pointed out the neck of the guitar because it felt different and he said it had the V neck style. I have no clue what that means. Thank you.post-48478-099165600 1351963720_thumb.jpg

here's a link with more pics.

http://s109.beta.pho.../library/gibson

This appears to be a mid 1930s Gibson L-00. I can't access your photobucket album because it says I need a password.

No, this is not a fake. It appears to be missing only a tuning machine and a bridge pin (not much). These guitars are worth a chunk of change if they don't need a lot of work. Most of them do.

Bottom line, it looks like you scored big!! You got this at Goodwill?? That is crazy. Well done.

Here is a shot of my 1933 L-00 I got last week:

DSC_0382.jpg

Very NICE find.. [thumbup] Don,t bugger it up with half-*** parts and repairs. Maybe some on the forum can help you, or seek out a competant vintage repair guy if necessary. I assume that you don,t have much in it yet, so quality fix-up will be worth it to you [smile]

This appears to be a mid 1930s Gibson L-00. I can't access your photobucket album because it says I need a password.

No, this is not a fake. It appears to be missing only a tuning machine and a bridge pin (not much). These guitars are worth a chunk of change if they don't need a lot of work. Most of them do.

Bottom line, it looks like you scored big!! You got this at Goodwill?? That is crazy. Well done.

Here is a shot of my 1933 L-00 I got last week:

DSC_0382.jpg

sorry you can't access my pictures on photobucket. I don't know why. I'll post more pics when I learn how.

yes, I found it at goodwill.

Wow! This looks like its worth resurecting/ Get thee to a good lutheir ! Never seen tuners like that, gnarly! Let them reglue braces if need be, and cleat a couple of those cracks, if not already done - but don't let anyone refinish the outside of the guitar, anywhere. That's a for cool little number!

The sun has shined down of you ulyman, what a great find. I agree with duluthdan's advise about restoration. Finding the tuner knob with the right gear/post might be a neddle in the hay... but you never know. Worst case replace the two tuner assemblies? would love to be so fortunate

You can find correct tuners on ebay for around $100 for the set. You are looking for 3 on a side Waverly tuners from the early 1930's. Take your time to find the right ones so you don't need to drill extra holes.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are more pictures. Let me know if you can see them. thank you.

Dude - nice! I love stories like this. It really depends on if you want to spend a few hundred to have a wicked nice guitar or if you want to sell it as-is and not have to worry about finding and paying for a repair bill. If the neck needs a reset and refret it could really be pricey.

... and I want to know where your Goodwill store is! I want one of these, too!

Great story! It gives me hope!

Thanks for sharing.

Archived