Gibson Brands Forums

Got any advice on this???? I am screwed.

Naradien

OK guys, I am officially screwed. Like in totally screwed. Basically, i got a new les paul '08 cherry burst standard, my dad got me. (Let me first state that I am only 14, I am not spoiled,-My dad got it, because all my classes are AP classes, and I got an A+ in all of em. No I am not a nerd, =D>)

I am a HUGE MetallicA fan, and i was recently watching James hetfield slinging that badass gibson white explorer (more beer) playing ride the lightning.

I now REALLY REALLY think that an explorer is what I want to get and that i wont regret it. The thing is that this guitar was purchased nearly 4 months ago, so I don't think I can return it. Got any suggestions? How do I explain this to my dad?

Also, before I got the les paul, I got an ibanez, which had the worst sustain on earth. It sustained for 2 seconds, with my super mega distortion. I returned that and got the les paul. Now what do i do? My dad would probably be so pissed if i told him.

Don't get me wrong, Les pauls are amazing. I just think that an explorer is probably the right one for me.

Screwed....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play the Les Paul. Love the Les Paul. Save and earn money and buy yourself the Explorer. Someday.

Never hurt your Dad's feelings. Ever. That is something you will regret later, to a degree I can't explain to a 14 year old.

Trust me. Someday................. You'll know what you just read.

Best of luck.

Murph.

yeah i was in the same boat as you for a while (with out the really smart part =D> ) i was really into lynyrd skynyrd and allen collins. i just had to have an explorer. but after my skynyrd obsetion died down and i was back into LP players i really like my les paul again. im pretty sure at our age (im 16) at least for me i want what ever my favorite musician is playing, would you agree? and there are alot more LP players out there than explorer players, so once you get into something else because im sure metallica wont be you favorite band forever (mine changes all the time) you wouldn't be as happy with the explorer anymore cause -insert guitarist name- doesn't play one.

now my personal preferance would be to have both xD i would say keep the paul and save your money and get an explorer later. thats my plan.

14, and crying because you got a FREE LP Standard, and you don't think it's what you want.:-({|=

#-o Gimme a break kid. Do you have any idea what you have there?

Maybe Daddy should have gotten you a Dean Dimebag instead.

Dude, what are you thinking? For the love of god, keep the Les Paul. It is way cooler and more versatile than an Explorer. I would rather get waterboarded than play an Explorer.

Keep it. Love it. Love you Dad. Thank your Dad.

There is one thing I can guarantee...if you trade your LP for an explorer you will regret it within a year or two. In fact, you will go to your grave wishing you never got rid of your LP.

the Explorer wouldn't have the sentimental value that this Les Paul has. Just because you can appreciate or want other guitars shouldn't diminish the place that this guitar has. It won't be your last, but there's only one first (Gibson, that is).

Hey if you are scoring A+ in AP classes as a Freshmen, keep doing what you are doing. Sounds to me like you have your act together both musically and scholastically, I applaud your efforts. I'd bet when you get early admission to Stanford, your dad will get you the Explorer.

:-({|=#-o #-o #-o=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

finding a good explorer is much harder than finding a good LP- at least for me. but i found one. and i bought it for exactly the same reason that you want one....and i'm 27!!! i just always wanted an explorer b/c of het...thought about the ESP, but didnt want an LTD and i wasnt paying the cash for his old ESP sig. found this Gibbie at Sam Ash; they gave me 20% off and i brought her home.

she just freakin' screams. i HATED the ceramic PUs in my Classic, but I LOVE them in my Explorer. that being said, i would still keep the Lester. Dont forget, James and Kirk both play LPs, including vintage Bursts. i love Jame's 73-74 LP Custom with the custom-made T-Top EMGs.....badass!

trust all these guys and me to bro. keep the paul. it is way more versatile and quite frankly...sexy too. as previously stated here, if you let it go you WILL regret it. let our combined if not individual experience help to guide you. keep it. you will look back and be glad you did i promise (i can make you this promise without knowing you at all :-k

oh and ftr...you are not screwed....you are fortunate, if you are ever going to trust a stranger, now is the time. do not let the LP go.

I think and this is just my opinion the Les Paul is more versatile of a guitar. There is nothing wrong wanting a guitar like a guitar idol, but you could buy a signiture guitar and you still wont sound like the idol. Anyway, dont hurt your dads feelings, I agree save your money buy the explorer later.

Congratulations on your grades! Keep it up!

...about the Les Paul....here's a lesson you didn't learn yet....never look a gift horse in the mouth! Your father gave that guitar to you out of love. Cherish it because your father won't be around forever and asking him to return the gift he got for you will hurt him. When you grow up emotionally, you'll understand.

Get the Explorer on your own dime. If your a serious guitarist....you have to have a Les Paul...and whatever else but you have to have a Les Paul.

Don't listen to Axe. The guy has no taste. As someone else mentioned' date=' he has a hello kitty guitar. Freak.

Also, if you get an Explorer then you won't be allowed back in here. And here is the best place to be.[/quote']

Good Point--- the guys here really know their stuff.

Anways , Thanks a lot guys! I watched some Zep stuff, got into the les paul thing a bit more. I'll just wait till I get older save up money and get an explorer. You guys really showed me the value and amazingness of a Les paul. Thanks!

Archived