Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone had experience with Gibson resto/repair service?

Dynadude

I know their quality of work would be about the best you could hope for, but their prices are what would concern me.

My old SG has some issues that I would like for them to take a look at, but you have to ship your stuff to them to get an estimate, and that can be expensive, and not to mention dangerous. Shippers will mangle a guitar, and I could never replace this one.

In short, are their prices/quality of work worth the risk?

I would take a bunch of photos, including closeups both inside and out, and send them to service people to see if they can give you an estimate based on pictures. That should give them a pretty good idea of what is involved to at least get you in the ballpark.

Here are some local luthiers...Might be a better bet...

Stephen Gillham

Gillham's Guitar Works

116 S. Channel Dr.

Wrightsville, NC 28480

Jeff Heyland

J Heyland Boat Carpentry

PO Box 51

Gloucester NC 28528

e-mail: jheyland@nternet.net

Mr. Moseley Mosrite International

PO Box 85

Jonas Ridge, NC 28641

Craig Hoffman

Hoffman Stringed Instruments and Repairs

2660 South Yonkers Road

Raleigh, NC 27604

Keith B. Roscoe

Roscoe Guitars

332 A Tate St

Greensboro, NC 27403

David Sheppard

Sheppard Instruments & Repairs

1820 Spring Garden St

Greensboro, NC 27403

Douglas P. Somervell

Somervell Guitars

2443 Green Cove Road

Brasstown NC 28902

e-mail: somervell@grove.net

http://wyattweb.com/freepage/s/somervell@grove.net/home.shtml

K. Doug Steele

Steele Guitars

112-B Edwardia Drive

Greensboro, NC 27409

James S. Treible

J.S. Treible Guitars

389 Timberlane Drive

Etowah, NC 28729

e-mail: JSTreibleGuitars@worldnet.att.net

Bill Walker

Green River Dulcimers

31 Carolina Lane

Ashville, NC 28801

Hey Rich, Thanks for the reply.

I looked for that option when I went to the repair/resto web page, but they don't seem to offer it. I will email them and check into it though. They may make exceptions for a guitar of this age, but i can understand why the might not. Every Joe with a dent in their axe would be asking for a free estimate, and that would be a real time eater for them.

Hey Axe, thank you for the reply, and the great list.

Do you have experience with any of these businesses? I've only ever dealt with one real luthier, and he retired several years ago. I trusted his word, and his work, since he was trained for Gibson repair in one of their facilities. It's never easy handing over your baby to someone else, especially for the first time, so I'd like to be sure they won't rob me or lose my guitar.

<cringe>

Thanks again for the replies fellas.

Bryan

Although two of my guitars have been shipped to me in the factory cartons and hardshell cases without mishap, I share your reservations in trying it myself, particularly with an older instrument. There's the option of having a shipping crate built for it or sending it in an airline quality case cover. Or, you might consider going to your local Gibson retailer and asking who does their local set-ups and non-warranty repairs. I got my luthiers through our local, small-town mom-and-pop and they're both outstanding. I'd trust them with any job on any of my axes. Good luck.

Although two of my guitars have been shipped to me in the factory cartons and hardshell cases without mishap' date=' I share your reservations in trying it myself, particularly with an older instrument. There's the option of having a shipping crate built for it or sending it in an airline quality case cover. Or, you might consider going to your local Gibson retailer and asking who does their local set-ups and non-warranty repairs. I got my luthiers through our local, small-town mom-and-pop and they're both outstanding. I'd trust them with any job on any of my axes. Good luck.[/quote']

Great suggestions. I'd actually considered the flight case, as it could be used for other guitars too. I just hate to lay out that kind of cash for something that doesn't make music. ~cheapo here~ +:-@

I hear you, Dyna- I don't spend more than about $100 on anything non-musical. +:-@

I would agree with AXE and Cruznolfart and say try to find a reliable local luthier. I'm sure the people at Gibson know what they're doing, but the shipping idea scares me... (which is I why I never buy guitars online.)

Archived