Gibson Brands Forums

Is this finish or wood crack ?

june69

Hi everyone,

first post here !:)

I just got myself a beautiful J45 antique natural which I absolutely love !

I bought it second hand for $1200 from a guy who bought it new earlier this year and barely never played it !

But I have a little issue: There's a thin crack under the guitar not far from the jack input.

The crack doesn't follow the wood grain, it is perpendicular and it ends with a "spider" end that goes like a crack on a windshield.

Also I tried pushing both side of the crack but apparently nothing moves. And I even put a strong torchlight in a dark room to see if the light went through the guitar from the inside out but it didn't.

So to me it looks like a crack in the finish but I'm not 100% sure so I wanted to have some opinions.

Here are 2 pictures of the crack:

737484photo9.jpg

660888photo10.jpg

So what do you guys say ? Finish or wood ?

If it's just the finish, is it fixable ? How ?

Thanks for any input !!

Hello june69 (wasn't that the time Dylan played a J-200 at Isle of Wight)*.

Eeeehhh, understand you can't see anything on the inside.

Almost sure it is the lacquer only - and it definitely wouldn't affect the sound.

* No, it was in August.

That is most definitely a lacquer crack, wood almost always cracks along the grain, not across it(Unless it`s a h/stock stress related break). It will not affect the guitars tone, and personally I would leave as is. However it can be fixed by a good repair man, as being Nitrocellulose, the finish can be blended back together.

Steve.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I just came back from a luthier, for him the wood has been touched, although he couldn't tell me for sure and he couldn't feel anything moving either. He also checked the insides and couldn't feel anything in the wood either.

He said I should reinforce the wood and it would cost me $150...!!??

I'm very suspicious, the more I look at it the more I think it's just the lacquer.

And everybody around me confirms it.

I don't know what I should do ! [crying]

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I just came back from a luthier, for him the wood has been touched, although he couldn't tell me for sure and he couldn't feel anything moving either. He also checked the insides and couldn't feel anything in the wood either.

He said I should reinforce the wood and it would cost me $150...!!??

I'm very suspicious, the more I look at it the more I think it's the the lacquer.

And everybody around me confirms it.

I don't know what I should do ! [crying]

Leave it, will be fine, honestly. I think he's just trying to get some easy cash. Take a look at the old Gibsons and how much checking they have, still sound a million dollars !

Just a suggestion: Use a small del flashlight and a small mirror inside the body to see if there is something wrong with the wood.

Hey thanks, I just did that !

I put a flashlight inside the body and with my iPhone took a picture, here it is (the crack is located on the right side):

photo_11.jpg

I don't see anything wrong :) Do you ?

Hey thanks, I just did that !

I put a flashlight inside the body and with my iPhone took a picture, here it is (the crack is located on the right side):

I don't see anything wrong :) Do you ?

There appears to be no problem with the wood. It looks to me like a simple impact lacquer fracture. As has been mentioned, a good lacquer technician can fix this if it bothers you. If it is the only lacquer crack anywhere on the guitar, you might consider doing that, provided it is someone who knows what he is doing.

The guy who is telling you that the wood needs to be reinforced is NOT the guy I would have do this. He has already shown he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I just had a somewhat similar impact fracture fixed on one of my guitars. Cost $100 to fix it, and it is invisible. It would probably be simpler on this guitar, as based on the photo, the antique natural J-45's have no stain on the mahogany that would need to be carefully matched.

Welcome.

Good job with the pics. Your "luthier" is recommending work that is not necessary - just a finish crack. You might feel better keeping an eye on the area - most likely the wood will be stable, but the finish crack might increase in size.

I would love to see an overall pic of your natural J-45. . B)

Welcome.

Good job with the pics. Your "luthier" is recommending work that is not necessary - just a finish crack. You might feel better keeping an eye on the area - most likely the wood will be stable, but the finish crack might increase in size.

I would love to see an overall pic of your natural J-45. . B)

Thanks!

Here's my J45 :)

photo_2.jpg

photo upload

This appears to be a lacquer crack to me as well. I do not see any reason to reinforce the wood. There is a small impact mark in the middle of the lacquer crack. What part of the country are you in? i will suggest a qualified luthier for you.

All the best

Jeremy

Thanks. I live between L.A. and Paris in France !

Ok I will assume Delaware is your home.

Here is the info of a good Luthier in that area who is able to do finish work.

Bucci Guitars 904 Causec Ave. Claymont DE 19703 302-791-9339 Nick Bucci nkyb@comcast.net

with other clues I may be able to direct you to someone closer.

Beautiful guitar by the way.

All the best

Jeremy Morton

I assume you mean you divide your time between Paris and LA, not that you live at some point in between the two. This info might help Jeremy a bit with his recommendation. I'm sure he knows the right people in the LA area (and probably in Paris, too).

Just having a little fun [biggrin]

Haha!! Yes I have actually 2 homes, one in LA and one in Paris, but I've been mostly in Paris lately.

So if you can recommend a good luthier in the Paris area that'll be best !

Thanks again for all your help, I can now enjoy my guitar without a knot in my stomach !

Cheers

Archived