Gibson Brands Forums

LOST EXCELLENTES

mooseguy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still wondering where the 141 Epi Excellentes ever produce have all disappeared to except for the two that I own-

Would really be great to hear from another owner of either an original or a reissue particularly if you have one for sale-ready to buy.

Moose

one on the bay.. a couple in the city here.. the U.S Made ones.. :)

one on the bay.. a couple in the city here.. the U.S Made ones.. :)

Hi Slimt

Thanks for your response. As you seem to have knowledge of where the Excellentes are located

in your area, I am still looking for a 64 and would appreciate a lead if one of these is one.

Regards,

Moose

El Capitan:

Thanks for your heads up on the Montana Item. At this moment I an studying my bidding strategy

for that 64 Excellente going up tonight at the Raisan auction. As I last noted here,

its starting price was raised from $10,000 to $90,000. It has since been reduced to a mind shattering $45,000. Capitano,could you lend me two twos till Tuesday?

The last night first night sale had many no sales as was expected due to this same type shenanigan

done to the majority of the original starting prices.

Moose

Moose,

Have sent you two $3 bills by surface mail.

Hope that helps,buddy,

Cap.

El Capitano: Sob Sob - the auction Excellente did not sell to me or any other person as like the other ridiculous starting priced ones. The background comments regarding this sale on the UMGf forum and the actual auction itself provides an excellent primer for anyone interested in buying or selling a vintage guitar.

Moose

P.S. I could use some,how are you fixed for socks? My laundry came back in an hour after being sent out for doing -it was rejected.

Moose

OurTang 89

Thank you for your appreciated heads up on the EBay offering. This forum is just great for helping anyone needing help of any kind.

Regards,

Moose

• 3 months later...

From the Orpheus Facebook page:

http://www.facebook....467093020199439

"Providing a wide range of tones from the booming intro of "Lovin' You" to the piano-like resonance of "Mine's Yours", Epiphone's legendary FT-120 "Excellente" acoustic guitar was an integral part of the Orpheus sound. Bruce Arnold has used his one-of-a-kind custom Excellente (specially ordered through The Original E.U. Wurlitzer of Boston) almost exclusively since 1965. Thirty years later, John Arnold, following in his father footsteps, acquired the very last of only 14 examples reissued by Master Luthier Ren Ferguson of Gibson Acoustic Guitars. The band's July 3rd show at the Marin County Fair marked what is likely the only time in history two examples of this very rare instrument have shared a stage."

ExcellentePair.jpg

Excellentes.jpg

- Peter

From the Orpheus Facebook page

http://www.facebook....467093020199439

HI PETER: INTERESTING TO LEARN THAT ANOTHER FERGUSON-

WALKER EXCELLENTE REISSUE WAS FOUND. I WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATIVE TO KNOW WHAT PRICE WAS PAID FOR IT-I STILL HAVE MINE FOR SALE. WHEN WILL YOUR BOOK BE AVAILABLE? BY THE WAY, HAVE YOU HEARD ANY THING AS TO WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT UNSOLD 64 EXCELLENTE FROM THE RISAN AUCTION?

REGARDS,

BILL

"Providing a wide range of tones from the booming intro of "Lovin' You" to the piano-like resonance of "Mine's Yours", Epiphone's legendary FT-120 "Excellente" acoustic guitar was an integral part of the Orpheus sound. Bruce Arnold has used his one-of-a-kind custom Excellente (specially ordered through The Original E.U. Wurlitzer of Boston) almost exclusively since 1965. Thirty years later, John Arnold, following in his father footsteps, acquired the very last of only 14 examples reissued by Master Luthier Ren Ferguson of Gibson Acoustic Guitars. The band's July 3rd show at the Marin County Fair marked what is likely the only time in history two examples of this very rare instrument have shared a stage."

ExcellentePair.jpg

Excellentes.jpg

- Peter

Found a Excellente for sale on Reverb.com Suppose to be a proto-type that Sonny James once owned, starting price of around 7-8000.oo dollars. Here is the link.

https://reverb.com/item/76689-1964-epiphone-excellente-sonny-james-prototype-w-ohsc

Hi Ourtang

Thanks for you appreciated heads up on the Sonny James prototype being offered on Reverb.com

If I am not mistaken, this guitar was also previously offered on EBay.

Regards,

Moose

Im pretty sure Ernest Tubb played one with his name inlayed into the fretboard from 63 to 68 or 69.

Before that he played a frontier with an old new york neck. I cant find any info on either guitars online though.

Hi Burchster:

Ernest sure did play an Excellente-Go on UTube and view some of his earlier videos showing him playing one.-some of his album covers of the same period also showed him holding an Excellente. Being a big Ernest fan, that's where I first saw one that got me interested in collecting them and their reissues.. As for Ernest Tubb's Excllente, I think that I read somewhere that he gave one(maybe his personal one?) to Jack Green his then bus driver-roadie who, at Ernest's urging, became a popular country singer in his own right.

Regards,

Moose

• 3 months later...

Just came across this thread and thought you guys would like to see this video, which contains some isolated sections of Bruce Arnold's playing his Epiphone Excellente - circa 1967. The video intro was taken from a WNYC radio interview recorded in January of '68 and featured Arnold and Orpheus arranger Alan Lorber discussing the construction of the group's second single for MGM, "I've Never Seen Love Like This".

- George

www.orpheusband.com

Archived