Gibson Brands Forums

OH NO! Not another humidity thread.

gearbasher

Being a little more mobile (back at work, but still no cycling and limited guitar playing), I decided to do a little experiment.

I have three digital hydrometers (all read with in 1-2% of each other) and I usually leave them in random cases just to get a feel for how often I have to put more water in the humidifiers. I decided to place one hydrometer in one case by the headstock and drop another in the body of the instrument (in this case I used my Martin D-60). I closed the case and waited 24 hours. The hydrometer by the headstock measured 41% and the one in the body measured 54%. This seems like a big difference. I use a Planetwaves humidifier that suspends between the strings and the sound hole stays open. I would figure it would give a more even humidity level in the entire case. I can imagine what the difference would by if I used a Damp-it with a sound hole cover.

Does this sound ok to you guys or should I shoot for other levels?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW: I can feel fret ends on only one of my guitars.

The area that is most succeptible to humidity damage is the body, of course, so having a different reading up by the headstock is not a huge deal as long as both are above 40 and below 55.

Obviously, your case creates a pretty tight closure on the neck near the string compartment so it makes different zone readings possible, If you want the air to flow through from the body area to the headstock, you could modify the pad that presses down on your fingerboard - creating some space for circulation.

Your experiment is interesting, indeed, but I would think if the case were left with a fresh refill for a week the results might be more balanced. Eventually, the fabric inside the case is going to absorb moisture equally. It may also be that the guitar was a bit too dry at the beginning of the test and the body absorbed more moisture than the headstock did - thus creating an imbalance in the surrounding air readings. Another possible glitch is that the sample area in the headstock zone is too small for the digital to find a realistic reading.

I would check the "calibration" of the two hydrometers by putting them both in the same place for awhile and see if they read the same. It just could be a slight calibration problem between the two since these are not high dollar intricate scientific grade instruments.

I would check the "calibration" of the two hydrometers by putting them both in the same place for awhile and see if they read the same. It just could be a slight calibration problem between the two since these are not high dollar intricate scientific grade instruments.

I did put them together at about 35% and 70%. They read with in 1-2% of each other.

Archived