Gibson Brands Forums

Hairline cracks in J45 Headstock finish - concern?

DomenicF

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, just bought a used J45 2008. Perhaps I was a little hasty, I have been known to be. Anyway, just curious about something; there are a number of hairline cracks in the black lacquer finish on the front of the headstock, running lengthwise (same direction as strings). Is that a concern, or simply cosmetic? Is it common? That kind of lacquer finish would probably be susceptible to cracks, but I just wanted some veteran Gibson owners opinions, (especially J45 owners). I don't have any photos with me, but will take some and upload later if you guys think it's necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Domenic

As a 2008 it's a bit early for vintage patina to show up, so likeliest cause is an exposure to rapid change of temp, imposible to tell without pics, but based on the description I'd say it sounds like lacquer cracks and is nothing to worry about. pics would help to clear it up for you though....

A photograph would be helpful.

Often, the glue joint for the "wings" on each side of the headstock, just outside the string posts, gives the appearance of finish cracks. Generally speaking, this would only be a cosmetic concern. It is pretty common on Gibsons with a black painted headstock face, if you hold the guitar at an angle so that light reflects off the headstock. Usually caused by slightly different expansion characteristics of the wings compared to the rest of the headstock. It's pretty common anytime you join two pieces of wood together to form a wider piece.

It obviously doesn't happen on headstocks with a solid overlay, or on one-piece headstocks. It shouldn't really happen on any of them, but it does.

Archived