Gibson Guitar Board: Eddie, Dimebag, or Randy? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Eddie, Dimebag, or Randy? Just for kicks

Poll: Eddie, Dimebag, or Randy? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who melts the most faces?

1. Eddie Van Halen (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Dimebag Darrell (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. Randy Rhoads (13 votes [52.00%])

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   crazytrain513 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I saw this poll posted by Gibson on Facebook just now...so I thought I'd post it up here to see what the more educated have to say about it.

So what's it gonna be folks? Who rocks out the hardest? Who's tracks still make you sweat to this day? All three of these guys had three very different approaches to similar styles of music. Who did it the best?

1) Eddie Van Halen
2) Dimebag Darrell OR
3) Randy Rhoads

??

Don't forget to vote! This should be interesting.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

1975 Gibson Flying V Natural (Limited Edition)
2006 S101 Telecaster Copy (Under Reconstruction)
2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio

http://www.youtube.c...r/crazytrain591 -- Check it out, and don't forget to rate, comment, and subscribe!

#2 User is offline   LeoPaul422 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMusic City

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Postcrazytrain513, on 13 November 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I saw this poll posted by Gibson on Facebook just now...so I thought I'd post it up here to see what the more educated have to say about it.

So what's it gonna be folks? Who rocks out the hardest? Who's tracks still make you sweat to this day? All three of these guys had three very different approaches to similar styles of music. Who did it the best?

1) Eddie Van Halen
2) Dimebag Darrell OR
3) Randy Rhoads

??

Don't forget to vote! This should be interesting.

EVH is one of the all time best.
Gibson Les Paul, Gibson 335, Epiphone 1275 Doubleneck, 64 Fender Telecaster, 50th Anniversary MIJ Telecaster Custom, 60th Anniversary Telecaster, Kramer American Showster, Kramer FR422, Electra Jazz Bass, Epiphone Beatle Bass, Mandolins & Mandolas, Yamaha Keyboards & Synthesizers, Slingerland Drums

#3 User is offline   dem00n 

• Anti-EMG's
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

That dem00n kid is a hell of a player, should look him up. He use to go by the name Jimmy Page, played in a small local band called Led Zeppelin. They did a few world tours.

Just sayin...
Kill everyone who ever done me harm

#4 User is offline   kaleb 

• Smart *** #1
  • LocationIN THE OZONE....

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I can't choose. I love them all too much.

EVH--Fretboard genius who changed the face of the Earth.

Randy- A one-of-a-kind neo-classical pioneer

Dimebag- The fastest gun in Texas. Influences from EVH, Rhoads, Frehley, Schenker, Satch, Hammet, Slayer, and many country players made him a monster.
"Let me tell you my story....I got a man-size predicament, and it's a big one...and it goes like this...yeah..."

Take a Gibson Les Paul, throw a DiMarzio Super Distortion in it, plug it into a Marshall amp and turn it up to 10. It's pretty much a no brainer!- Ace ****in' Frehley
I don't see why we have to go through all the bullshit of high school just to be musicians- Alex Lifeson
It doesn't matter how fast you can play or how many chords you know, if you can't play the blues, go the **** home you ain't worth nothin'- Richie Scarlet
Critics love Elvis Costello because they all look like him- David Lee Roth

Ace is God- Dimebag Darrell (RIP. 1966-2004)
Like is too strong a word...I don't really like anybody- Chris DeNicola (I love Road Rants)
You can keep the drugs, I'll take the sex and the rock n' roll- Paul Stanley
Thanks..I like to play...- Garth Algar (AKA Dana Carvey)

And most importantly....**** OFF ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! (Gene Simmons, Eddie Trunk, and anyone who matters)

#5 User is offline   crazytrain513 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postkaleb, on 13 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

I can't choose. I love them all too much.

EVH--Fretboard genius who changed the face of the Earth.

Randy- A one-of-a-kind neo-classical pioneer

Dimebag- The fastest gun in Texas. Influences from EVH, Rhoads, Frehley, Schenker, Satch, Hammet, Slayer, and many country players made him a monster.

Not to mention how:

EVH: Thought Randy copied him, saw Randy as a threat

Randy - Saw EVH as a challenge, said he avoided double-tapping simply to differ from Eddie and reverted to double/triple hammer-ons that some may regard as requiring even more "talent"

Dimebag - Looked up to both of them, yet was probably the fastest, yet tonally insane of them both.

Decisions, decisions...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.youtube.c...r/crazytrain591 -- Check it out, and don't forget to rate, comment, and subscribe!

#6 User is offline   Riffster 

• Since 1969
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Randy for me, because of his style of playing and the songs themselves.

I like Eddie but never cared much for the songwriting in Van Halen, when I listen to them is to listen to Eddie.

I grew up with Thrash Metal but never got into Pantera, I never got into that groove thing.
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#7 User is offline   crazytrain513 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

I think my username gives away my vote...

#8 User is offline   EVOL! 

• skim milk
  • Locationsecret location behind the drive-by theatre

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

All are legends, but I voted Randy because I love his playing more than the other two.

TheBendingOfLight
If you think my guitar playing is bad, you should hear me sing

#9 User is offline   BTD 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

It's probably an unfair decision criteria, but Eddie did it for so much longer than Randy & Dimebag, that I have to go with him. Again not really fair due to the circumstances, but the longevity and the time to reinvent and make an impression on over 30 years of music gets my vote.
'12 Gibson ES-359
'12 Fender Robert Cray Strat
'99 Ibanez RG520QS
'07 Takamine G Series acoustic

#10 User is offline   kaleb 

• Smart *** #1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

In my opinion, EVH hasn't been so hot in over 20 years. In fact, gimmie the first four VH albums and we're done. I still don't care for the Hagar-era too much. I don't think Sammy caused it to be so "BLAH", as he is a great singer and made/makes awesome music solo, with Montrose, and with Chickenfoot, but I don't care for it. The era had a couple good tunes, but nowhere near as mind-blowing as "Mean Street" or "Somebody Get Me A Doctor".

Randy did a lot for two albums. In that respect, he beat Hendrix. Dime had a great career. He brought metal guitar to a new level.

I think a better contest would be Eddie, Randy, and Michael Schenker. Dime would belong more with Zakk and Hammett. (or other shred-masters of his era).
"Let me tell you my story....I got a man-size predicament, and it's a big one...and it goes like this...yeah..."

Take a Gibson Les Paul, throw a DiMarzio Super Distortion in it, plug it into a Marshall amp and turn it up to 10. It's pretty much a no brainer!- Ace ****in' Frehley
I don't see why we have to go through all the bullshit of high school just to be musicians- Alex Lifeson
It doesn't matter how fast you can play or how many chords you know, if you can't play the blues, go the **** home you ain't worth nothin'- Richie Scarlet

Like is too strong a word...I don't really like anybody- Chris DeNicola (I love Road Rants)

And most importantly....**** OFF ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! (Gene Simmons, Eddie Trunk, and anyone who matters)

#11 User is offline   stein 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Not really into Pantera, so I have no opnion or care.

I was a huge EVH fan, and he was THE guitarist to emulate when I was a kid. I was into blues as well, but I actually thought blues was dead, and I was studying history. I was so young back when I was a kid.

I don't think Eddie has changed, WE have changed. He still plays the same as he did, it just doesn't have the same impact in todays world.

Here's the irony: most kinda go "meh" for Ed now, cause it don't seem all that great or hard or whatever. But how many of us STUDIED the man? How long did it take to learn to play the stuff he plays? It was impressive back then, THEN we all HAD to learn how to play it. We aren't all that impressed now, but if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have learned it.

Today, I'm gonna go with Randy. I'm even more impressed now than I was then, and I WAS impressed. What impresses me the most is the beauty he was able to put into those 2 records, while at the same time, keeping it hard. I don't know if anyone else has been able to do that.

Next week, I might change my mind.

#12 User is offline   kaleb 

• Smart *** #1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

View Poststein, on 13 November 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Not really into Pantera, so I have no opnion or care.

I was a huge EVH fan, and he was THE guitarist to emulate when I was a kid. I was into blues as well, but I actually thought blues was dead, and I was studying history. I was so young back when I was a kid.

I don't think Eddie has changed, WE have changed. He still plays the same as he did, it just doesn't have the same impact in todays world.

Here's the irony: most kinda go "meh" for Ed now, cause it don't seem all that great or hard or whatever. But how many of us STUDIED the man? How long did it take to learn to play the stuff he plays? It was impressive back then, THEN we all HAD to learn how to play it. We aren't all that impressed now, but if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have learned it.

Today, I'm gonna go with Randy. I'm even more impressed now than I was then, and I WAS impressed. What impresses me the most is the beauty he was able to put into those 2 records, while at the same time, keeping it hard. I don't know if anyone else has been able to do that.

Next week, I might change my mind.

Eddie's still Eddie, but it's just not "there" anymore. It's the same thing with Ace Frehley: he's not what he was back in the 70s. He's still awesome, and I will go see him whenever I can, but he's kinda sloppy (even for him) now. Stale is a strong word to use, but years of partying, boozing, and snorting cocaine will do that to a player. Eddie lived the same life.

I would go see Van Halen in a heartbeat if DLR wasn't such a has-been. Let's face it, he needs to go.

As a final note, Eddie sounded terrible on the last Hagar tour, but he's made great improvements. He's still da man!

#13 User is offline   Izzy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I vote for Dimebag becuase he made me go, "wow." I liked Metallica and GnR and thought they were pretty heavy. I was 13, ok, shut up.
...but when I heard Dimebag I realized there was "a new level." There was no pretence with Dimebag. The fat ugly dude didn't give a poop about being cute onstage or looking "cool." Randy and EVH are great stage performers, Dimebag just clocks in and does his job in a t and shorts.

EVH will always have that place in my heart because he made the solo for Beat It.

RR is not my cup, though I am glad Ozzy had him.
======================================================================

got comfy strap, no more neck pain due to relentless practicing, this is better than cool

#14 User is offline   RS1976 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

EVH = Zazz Blammymatazz in real life.

Dime was awesome.

Randy had taste, chops, and loved Leo Brouwer.

Randy all the way.

#15 User is offline   FirstMeasure 

• Rock-n-Roll Proselytizer
  • LocationSouther California Mountains

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

I saw this on Facebook and thought it was an odd combo to compare. I guess I prefer Randy, his playing spoke to me more so than Eddie's. And I love Dimebag's riffs and leads, but Pantera wasn't my thing.

Why not compare Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, and Stevie ray? Makes as much sense.
Attention, emergency news! Godzilla is going toward the Ginza area!

My Band

That's the thing, do you recognize the Bells of Truth when you hear 'em ring? Stop and listen to the Children Sing!

#16 User is offline   Elmer 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Dimebag of course....the other 2 are puppies, greenies, smurfs, nubcakes :P
The bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar...

#17 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Randy Rhoads - is W. A. Mozart of rock.
Eddie Van Halen - is A. Salieri.
Dimebag Darrell - A. L. Webber.
(In every respect).

Cheers... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#18 User is offline   Bongoscot 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

I dont even get the comparison.
Posted Image

2010 Ibanez RG920QM, 1979 Martin D-18, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1994 Piasecki OM, 2010 Gibson Melody Maker

#19 User is offline   crazytrain513 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yes, I was surprised to see this comparison by Gibson themselves, too....

I think the idea was to compare three "heavy metal gods", which is easy for someone less "educated" than everyone here, who doesn't take into account that Randy's roots were classical, Eddie was a groundbreaker, & Dime was just a metal monster.

I agree with the the person above who said Michael Schenker wouldve been a better option than Dime -- seems like most of us never really got into Dime's scene much anyways, though clearly no one's short on respect for him either.

#20 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

View Postcrazytrain513, on 14 November 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Yes, I was surprised to see this comparison by Gibson themselves, too....

I think the idea was to compare three "heavy metal gods", which is easy for someone less "educated" than everyone here, who doesn't take into account that Randy's roots were classical, Eddie was a groundbreaker, & Dime was just a metal monster.

I agree with the the person above who said Michael Schenker wouldve been a better option than Dime -- seems like most of us never really got into Dime's scene much anyways, though clearly no one's short on respect for him either.

The proper line-up for comparison would have been: Rhoads, Van Halen, Cavazo (Lynch, Lee) - these men were the idols of the same times. I think Rhoads is clearly the winner - since He stood the test of the times - probably the only one who is still appreciated as much as when He was alive (if not more). Van Halen - technical innovator for sure, but playing guitar is not purely about technics. Without taste, feel, and ability to compose, it's acrobacy (Malmsteen for example). Dime (God bless Him) wasn't any better than any other thrash-shredder around.

As for adding Schenker...again...different generation, different genre of music. Schenker is in the league with hard-rock-era Gary Moore, Frank Marino - maybe.

Anyways these polls only good for one thing: to make mad dogs out of people biting each other's throat. They make no sense.

Cheers... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users