Gibson Brands Forums

1996 EJ-200 vS 2008 eJ-200

JFGebhardt

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I had a question in regards to my my 1996 ej-200 and 2008 ej-200. I compair them side by side and the 2008 version seems to have a longer head stock and grover tuners instead of the gotoh the 1996 verson has. It also has a EJ on the name plate and the 1996 has Gibson... I just bought the 1996 vesion and hope I didnt buy a replica. Can anyone shed sdome light?

Sometime around 1998, Epiphone started putting the elongated headstock on the acoustic models and slowly depricated the clipped-ear pegheads of the earlier models. The truss rod cover and tuners are always subject to change on any Epiphone guitar. A "Gibson" branded truss cover typically indicates that the guitar was made anywhere from around 1990-2004-ish. Though not all models of that era have the Gibson-branded truss cover, the ones that do were definitely made somewhere between those dates. Tuner brands and styles get updated/upgraded every now and then. It could have been when they switched the headstock, or near the end of a run, or a Wednesday.

Archived