Gibson Brands Forums

How about a "turn-of-the-century" Roy Smeck????

onewilyfool

Yes, I think JuanCarlos perhaps posted one last week or so.

In any event; I don't know what contribution/reduction the mother-of-toilet-seat (white pearloid) used on the Century of Progress guitar would have on tone, but I bet it wears like iron!

thts one of those century models that elvis costello plays , funny lookin thing but sound great .....

the guitar that is , not costello

Ah but Gruntfuttle, the point is that it isn't like the thing that Elvis plays. It's got a bigger, deeper, Jumbo-sized Roy Smeck body, and the neck is set Roy Smeck-style at the 12th fret. Though the decor makes the neck a century-style job. Even funnier looking than Elvis's. Imagine it might sound even better, though. I suppose it is to Elvis's Century what Elvis now is to Elvis in 1978. In any case, it has a bit of mid-century spread.

Ah but Gruntfuttle, the point is that it isn't like the thing that Elvis plays. It's got a bigger, deeper, Jumbo-sized Roy Smeck body, and the neck is set Roy Smeck-style at the 12th fret. Though the decor makes the neck a century-style job. Even funnier looking than Elvis's. Imagine it might sound even better, though. I suppose it is to Elvis's Century what Elvis now is to Elvis in 1978. In any case, it has a bit of mid-century spread.

cheers yoda , yet again my ignorance pasted on a billboard for everyone to see ...

they are funny lookin , but i couldnt honestly say i totally didnt like it ..... the smaller elvis one that is

cheers yoda , yet again my ignorance pasted on a billboard for everyone to see ...

they are funny lookin , but i couldnt honestly say i totally didnt like it ..... the smaller elvis one that is

Ah but Obi-Wan, as a wiser man than I once said to a whole group of aspiring Jedi, your ignorance is a gift. How else do we learn but by pasting our lack of learning on billboards?

I agree that both models are funny looking, though not entirely unappealing. Personally I would rather have this one, but that is because I rather like the Smeck sound. As for Elvis's guitar, I think that it is funny sounding, but as with you and the looks, I couldn't honestly say that I totally didn't like it either.

Mojo,

It sounds great. It's x-braced.

I'm featuring it in my art show (and eventual coffee table book). Those rhinestones look so cool on x-rays.

There's a new design idea for Bozeman: guitars that look like they're coated in x-rayed rhinestones, but in natural light! I want one for x-mas.

There's a new design idea for Bozeman: guitars that look like they're coated in x-rayed rhinestones, but in natural light! I want one for x-mas.

:)

My x-ray antics have enabled me to play some extraordinary guitars. I usually keep the guitars for a few weeks (and sometimes a few months) while I schedule x-ray sessions. Among the Gibsons of which I've had custody, two really stand out. The first is that Nick Lucas Florentine (so named, of course, because of the images of Venice engraved on that MOTS fingerboard!) The other was one of Orville's pre-Gibson Company guitars. You can see it in the bottom right image in this photo of the exhibit:

DSC_0011.jpg

Here's a link to a photo gallery of the exhibit.

Archived