Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Costello and Jeff Bridges

JuanCarlosVejar

I miss the angry young Elvis and the days when he and Parker were spitting out their frustration with every word they sang. Just not as crazy about the newer, content, hang around with Emmy Lou Harris version (nor the sit around the house in upstate NY writing science fiction Graham Parker). They toughened up the 1970s and I want them back - we need them right now.

I miss the angry young Elvis and the days when he and Parker were spitting out their frustration with every word they sang. Just not as crazy about the newer, content, hang around with Emmy Lou Harris version (nor the sit around the house in upstate NY writing science fiction Graham Parker). They toughened up the 1970s and I want them back - we need them right now.

i seen costello at the end of last year , and while i totally agree that the venom in his delivery in the beginnings was special , i found him fairly intense .... not joe strummer intense , certainly a lot of anger in songs like national ransom ....

but yeah , talk show host and everything now isnt he ....

The record collector in me has been awakened...

Costello's catalog has been reissued several times over. I would look for the RHINO reissues (as opposed to the Rykodisc, which are fine, but lack the extensive bonus tracks, or the Universal or god forbid CBS versions, where either sound and/or lack of bonus cuts make them less desirable).

That said:

My Aim Is True (1977)

This Year's Model (1978)

Armed Forces (1979)

Get Happy!!! (1980)

are the near perfect releases with the Live at The El Mocambo a great live document.

After that, mileage will vary based on what you like, but I'd recommend...

Trust (1981)

Imperial Bedroom (1982)

King Of America (1986)

Blood and Chocolate (1986)

and part of Spike (1989)

After that. they blur together and a few great stray tracks aside, nothing holds together in quite the same way.

Archived