Gibson Brands Forums

Simple Clean and Deadly

AXE®

My pedal setup is currently this:

Analogman Beano Boost (treble booster) -->

Foxrox Aquavibe (vibe) -->

Foxrox Paradox TZF (flanger) -->

Analogman King of Tone (overdrive/clean boost)

I used to have a wah and chorus in there but I wasn't using them for anything in particular so I took them out. I'd like to get rid of the flanger as it's a bigass pedal but it works so well for this one song we play so it looks like it's staying. The main pedals I use are the other three - treble booster, vibe and boost.

The vibe is my favorite type of swirly pedal as it sounds really three dimensional, much more so than just a phaser or tremolo or chorus. The overdrive/boost is what I use to slam the front of my amp to get it sounding dirty and the treble booster... man, I can't say enough good things about the Analogman Beano Boost.

The Beano Boost is a really simple pedal but there are so many great, usable sounds in it. I don't mess with the gain control much (I leave it around 12:00) but I do use all three tone settings (mid, high and low). The mid is my regular setting for getting a nice snarl out of my Strat when going for a hard rock sound, the low setting is good for big, fat chunka-chunka chords and the high setting I use to get a really stinging lead tone on a couple of songs. If you're looking for something a little different in the way of a dirty boost pedal, I strongly recommend this one.

Guitar Player magazine did an article about this around 2 months ago. I'd have to look for that issue - make sure I didn't get rid of it. I do believe their suggestion was to place the volume pedal at the end of the chain (but before reverb/delay like TG wrote).

They explained their resoning in the article, but ultimately said it all depends on the players preference. Then they gave examples of guitarist who put things in "odd" order and came up with unique sounds.

When I get home I'll look for that article and post what they suggest.

As for myself... right now I just go straight into the amp with no effects (reverb on the amp).

Sorry, not intending to hijack this thread, but as an acoustic guy who recently got my electric setup (Eric Clapton Signature Strat and a Peavey Delta Blues Amp) I have a question....

The only pedals I have are an Ernie Ball Volume pedal (that I have always used with my acoustic when running into my acoustic Genz Benz Amp), a Dod FX-7 multi effects pedal that I only use to add some crunch or distortion when playing and my Boss RX-20XL looping station. The looper is a blast to jam with or work on my blues riffs with. Currently I am running it this way... Strat > Volume pedal > Dod FX7 > Looping Station > Amp.

My Delta Blues has a FX loop I think but I don't really get what it does. Would it be better for me to use that with my looper or multi effects pedal and just plug the guitar into the volume pedal and then into the amp? I have never plugged anything into the FX loop on the Delta Blues. I have to say, more often than not when I am just playing my Strat, I go straight into the amp and love the tone but have not noticed any loss of tone or volume by going with my above chain.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have played acoustic for over 30 years and still feel like a newbie when it comes to playing an electric guitar. (Still saving for a Les Paul or SG though to add to the "family")

NEVER add a multi FX unit into the am FX loop. The reason is due to patch differences such as volume and distortion. Hitting the wrong patch could blow your amp.

FX loops are good for delays, chorus, EQ, noise gates (sometimes) and possibly loop stations. You want to be sure you don't add too much gain in an amp FX loop, as it always seems to blow something.

So do not put your DOD in the loop, leave it out front. The volume pedal would be very useful where it is, since you can do swells into your DOD.

The loop station in the FX loop would "clone" the overall sound, and sound the closest to the original. With it out front you essentially amplify the sound the pedal makes through the tubes, but you miss the warmth of the pre-amp tubes.

AXE, throw your delay in your FX loop with some short cords and get it off your board... try it when you've had a few and are bored.

NEVER add a multi FX unit into the am FX loop. The reason is due to patch differences such as volume and distortion. Hitting the wrong patch could blow your amp.

Going to disagree here. Running multi fx into the fx loop is the best palce to do it. Lessens the likelyhood of the front end coloring or adding distortion to the sound. Unless that's what you want it to do.

Never heard of it blowing/damaging an amp with that configuration, ever.

:-s

I've never had the money to invest in all of the individual peddles I like, so I go with multi-boards. I wore out a Digitech RP10, and then got their GNX3.

Yea, I know it has it's limitations, but it has a really nice digital recorder, and I invested in the three button controller for that also. With the optional memory card you can record up to like 48 minutes of tracks.

I tried the peddle route for a few years, but it seems there was always another one that I had to have, and space on the board was limited, so one always had to go to make room.

Drove me nuts for a while. The only peddle I have now is an Orion stage tuner, for when I just want to go jam with a friend, and don't want to even carry the GNX.

Here is a suggested beginning according to GP magazine

1. Filters: auto wahs, envelope followers and other dynamically controlled filter effects respond to your attack. Also regular wahs.

2. Compressor

3. Distortion/overdrive

4. Modulation: chorus, flange etc...

5. Volume pedal

6. Delay/reverb

Yea, multi effects work much better into the "return" side of the loop on a guitar amp, bypassing the preamp and therefore coloring is best. That is how I run my Boss GT-6 when I run it. There is a setting for the pedal where you can select the output. There is a difference between a guitar amp and a PA so a mutli-effect pedal should have the option to use either.

Here is a suggested beginning according to GP magazine

1. Filters: auto wahs' date=' envelope followers and other dynamically controlled filter effects respond to your attack. Also regular wahs.

2. Compressor

3. Distortion/overdrive

4. Modulation: chorus, flange etc...

5. Volume pedal

6. Delay/reverb

[/quote']

looks close enough to mine... but mine looks fancier... (you know... all the colors and arrows and stuff so that AXE would understand eusa_whistle.gif )

Sorry' date=' not intending to hijack this thread, but as an acoustic guy who recently got my electric setup (Eric Clapton Signature Strat and a Peavey Delta Blues Amp) I have a question....

The only pedals I have are an Ernie Ball Volume pedal (that I have always used with my acoustic when running into my acoustic Genz Benz Amp), a Dod FX-7 multi effects pedal that I only use to add some crunch or distortion when playing and my Boss RX-20XL looping station. The looper is a blast to jam with or work on my blues riffs with. Currently I am running it this way... Strat > Volume pedal > Dod FX7 > Looping Station > Amp.

My Delta Blues has a FX loop I think but I don't really get what it does. Would it be better for me to use that with my looper or multi effects pedal and just plug the guitar into the volume pedal and then into the amp? I have never plugged anything into the FX loop on the Delta Blues. I have to say, more often than not when I am just playing my Strat, I go straight into the amp and love the tone but have not noticed any loss of tone or volume by going with my above chain.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have played acoustic for over 30 years and still feel like a newbie when it comes to playing an electric guitar. (Still saving for a Les Paul or SG though to add to the "family") [/quote']

I would use the boss loop station in the fx loop. That way when you are using it it "records" the sound coming from the preamp and reproduces it.

When you are playing clean it doesnt really make a difference, but, when you use the preamp's distortion, you will hear a lot of difference between playing back a distorted clip while playing with distortion on top of it, versus playing back a clean clip and a clean guitar (previous to the preamp) to have the preamp distort both things at the same time, which might make it difficult to set both signals volume and tone.

I would use the boss loop station in the fx loop. That way when you are using it it "records" the sound coming from the preamp and reproduces it.

When you are playing clean it doesnt really make a difference' date=' but, when you use the preamp's distortion, you will hear a lot of difference between playing back a distorted clip while playing with distortion on top of it, versus playing back a clean clip and a clean guitar (previous to the preamp) to have the preamp distort both things at the same time, which might make it difficult to set both signals volume and tone.[/quote']

That makes sense to me... I will try it this weekend. I love the loop station. I was using it with my acoustic last night playing Christmas fingerstyle songs, looping and playing lead and harmonies over it. Silent Night has never sounded better! I also really am liking the way my acoustics sound playing through my Peavey Delta Blues amp... never played through an electric amp and had it sound good before.

Archived