Gibson Brands Forums

Simple Clean and Deadly

AXE®

As some of you know I had to unload a pile of equipment lately.

After the dust settled I put together a simple ensemble of pedals to compliment my present gigging setup.

IMG_0776.jpg

Oddly enough this is the cleanest signal path ...

In through the wah and out through the delay...

Rich --- Thunder ???

Looks good to me; I've never tried the Guv'nor but have heard great things about them and you can't go wrong with Boss. You mentioned that the Crybaby is true bypass so that addresses my one concern with wahs. That's the order that I'd set them up in too; most players like chorus after overdrive/distortion but I think it sounds too pretty there and prefer to run chorus before dirt.

All right I'm a dumb ***. I was under the impression the volume peddle was at the end of the signal path. I got that impression by looking at famous guitarists peddle set ups. And specifically it was Brian May.

I ran it that way for the first time last week. I must admit I wasn't to happy with the vox out put. I thought it was a signal drain due a new guitar players rig. Perhaps it was the peddle thing.

I use very few ground works. A Crybaby wah, volume peddle, and fender chorus peddle. Lastly a Morley A/B/Y switcher which goes to the Vox ac15 and the Line 6 spider III. I also have the Vox peddle (amp direct) which is for reverb and tremlo.

So what do you all think. Help put them in the best order for a classic rock sound, please.

AXE, the only thing I would suggest to try is putting the delay in the FX loop of your amp (if you have one). Try it, it might sound like crap, but it could sound really good - it really depends on the buffering in the amp and pedal. That means though that you would need two longer cables to run from the amp to the pedal. Just my 2 cents...

Otherwise, get a 1/4 sheet of Masonite, cut it to size, and Velcro it all down. Cheapest board I've ever made ($12) and it's trust worthy.

Oh, if you move the delay to the fx loop, you could use the gov'nor to push the amp into tube saturation... it always works better if you don't have anything between the "boost" pedal and the amp...

All right I'm a dumb ***. I was under the impression the volume peddle was at the end of the signal path. I got that impression by looking at famous guitarists peddle set ups. And specifically it was Brian May.

I ran it that way for the first time last week. I must admit I wasn't to happy with the vox out put. I thought it was a signal drain due a new guitar players rig. Perhaps it was the peddle thing.

I use very few ground works. A Crybaby wah' date=' volume peddle, and fender chorus peddle. Lastly a Morley A/B/Y switcher which goes to the Vox ac15 and the Line 6 spider III. I also have the Vox peddle (amp direct) which is for reverb and tremlo.

So what do you all think. Help put them in the best order for a classic rock sound, please.

[/quote']

I think the way you have it set up is fine. Where to put a volume pedal really depends on the effect that you want; if you want to control the amount of distortion or overdrive, put it before the source of the distortion, if want to control the volume of the distorted sound, put it after the source of distortion. Traditionally, I would imagine that it'd be used to control the amount of distortion but, IMO, anything is fair game when it comes to effects.

I still have my old pedalboard.

But it is huge, from back in the day.

I do have an effects loop and.

My old board was.

Ibenez Tube Screamer

Boss DD3 Delay

MXR phase 90

Line 6 Mod modeler

The Dunlop wah.

I'm looking into Homebrew Electronics stuff.

Nice setup AXE, I lilke the Guvnor a lot... those Marshall pedals get overlooked most of the time but they do the job and do it well. They look great also (look like they cost as much as 15 boss pedals).

I use the chorus after dist. but there's no rule about it... It depends on wether you want to distort a chorused sound hehehe.

I go from the guitar to the Wah peadal (when I am using one... which is almost never).

Then to the disto pedal, then modulation. The delay goes to the fx loop, but if you are not using the amp's distortion it can go between the last pedadl and the input with no problem.

Hey, I just remembered... you guys remember this? I posted it a while ago, most of my clients asked me in which order fx went, and as there is no rule about it, I made some research and ended up with info that lead to this order (there is a good reason why I put every fx in the place it is):

Dibujo-1.jpg

I'll run the loop later, as far as my delay is concerned it might as well be a preset because I rarely change it and always use it.

It stays on always as a avery subtle repeat with a touch of amp reverb just to make it a bit wet.

That's just how I use it too! So, how are you liking that guvnor man? Did you just buy it?

Regarding Homz comment about the volume pedal, well you can place it wherever you like it, the only rule (and you can just break that rule if you want) is to place it before reverb and delay. As you dont want to cut the decay you have set for both. Some people use 2 vol pedals, one directly from the guitar, and the other nearly at the end (before ambience fx).

So far with this set up, and the back up stack I never used until recently, I'm pleasantly surprised on the sound.

That Guv'Nor is the shizzle fo th nizzle. I played a bunch and kept coming back to it because it does sound like a Marshall..

It's not my Marshalls or my MKII. But it's damn close and plenty loud enough to gig anywhere with.

And as always I can reproduce the tones at low levels as well as ear bleeders...

Archived