Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

So my journey this year has been odd... Unemployed.. speant the first few months disspondant (cos this is like my 7th redundancy) then speant the next six months only concentrating on finding work as well, you need a job..Then I was just confused for a while.... But the last few months ive gotten fed up of waiting and have started doing my own projects when I can.. if nothing else just to keep busy..

The last thing was my video filming/editing which I will still do when the oppertunity comes up.. But my new idea is making guitars out of random objects that would otherwise be thrown away...

At first I was going to use an old side table I had, but then my parents told me they have some old doors that they want to get rid of.. So I thought ha, ok.. Rather than throwing it away maybe I can make something from it.. So I went today and got the first one that looks like this.. I intend to use the thick bits of wood and glue together to make the body (cos the thin bits are too thin)...

20121125_152113.jpg

And this is what the wood grain looks like

20121125_152700.jpg

I will get at that this week.

Then I when ive done this one (assuming I get anywhere :)) theres four doors they have that look like this and are made from Teak

20121125_152316.jpg

I have no idea if I have the skills to do this.. But im a fast learner and theres lots of info on the net to help me. So I reckon I will do ok (and you never know till you try :)).. Will probably just buy a neck, pups and stuff cos the idea of trying to do that myself seems a bit much right now.

Will report back when or if I actually get somewhere :)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a fun project, should be good fun. Ive always wanted to make a chopping board guitar. Good luck mate, keep us updated

Cheers man.. theres a huge learning curve here so I think I will need all the luck I can get ;) [thumbup]

I should buy this off you when it's finished, Rabs.

My wife keeps telling me to "shut it." :blink:

No its ok.. You can buy it.. I honestly dont mind :)

If I get a minor celebrity endorsement or not finish it properly so it looks worn, does that mean I get to charge more? :P

No its ok.. You can buy it.. I honestly dont mind :)

If I get a minor celebrity endorsement or not finish it properly so it looks worn, does that mean I get to charge more? :P

And then just tie it to the rear bumper of your car and drive around the block a few times. Then you can charge even more for "Relic'ing"!

Just keep reminding yourself that Brian May's 'Red Special' was built by his father and himself from an old mahogany mantelpiece....

Best of luck with all your endeavours, Rabs.

[thumbup]

P.

+1 to that. Ton's of info online, etc. to help. I love watching threads like this. I did a Tele partsocaster a couple of years ago using premade stuff just to really understand how elec guitars work and it was very educational, so I'm guessing you're gonna not only have some fun, but learn a ton in the process. Good luck and keep us posted. [thumbup]

+1 to that. Ton's of info online, etc. to help. I love watching threads like this. I did a Tele partsocaster a couple of years ago using premade stuff just to really understand how elec guitars work and it was very educational, so I'm guessing you're gonna not only have some fun, but learn a ton in the process. Good luck and keep us posted. [thumbup]

Cheers guys.. The support is appreciated.. Of coures I always have this place aswell :) Several luthiers on here..

Hopefully soon I can join the ranks :)

Just keep reminding yourself that Brian May's 'Red Special' was built by his father and himself from an old mahogany mantelpiece....

Best of luck with all your endeavours, Rabs.

[thumbup]

P.

The neck was mahogany, but the body and fretboard were Oak. The body had a mahogany veneer.

Little tidbits ;)

-Ryan

The neck was mahogany, but the body and fretboard were Oak. The body had a mahogany veneer.

Little tidbits ;)

-Ryan

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for the clarification, Ryan.

Memories not, ermm...eh...thingy. You know...

[thumbup]

P.

Hello Rabs! I can hear Mr. Juszkiewicz saying: "Get that kid, with the door with pickups on it!"

[biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

HAHAHA my god if only it worked that way these days :)

You never know.. I intend to find a revolutionary way of adding sustain...

And just a quick thanks to everyone thats spurred me on here.. It does actually help :)

I will keep you all posted..

This week I intend to get some glue, cut and glue the body slab and then cut the rough shape out.

Archived