Gibson Brands Forums

The PLEK System

DuaLeaD

Guest Farnsbarns

Just curious, are all Gibson Custom Shop Historic reissues run through the PLEK system? (Including my 1965 Firebird VII?)

Also, what is your opinion on this? Has it increased overall quality?

I believe they are, and no, the plek machine does a consistent job, cheaply, but it will never be as good as a top Luther using hand tools IMO.

Sorcery!!! msp_lol.gif

Plek or no Plek. A guitar is not set up until it leaves my bench.

Maybe we need to write a song on one of our Custom Shop guitars...About how PLEK machines will never be better than a luthier...

You know, like that ol' railroad song about John Henry...He's a steel-drivin' man!!

• 1 month later...

I believe they are, and no, the plek machine does a consistent job, cheaply, but it will never be as good as a top Luther using hand tools IMO.

Well, they PLEK it twice for good luck and one of the Gibson Custom Shop elves takes a lookzee at it anyway, right??

My Custom Shop '59 ES-330 VOS reissue had an allegedly Plekked nut - but the A string slot was was cut too high and it would not intonate at all. Had the guitar set up by my favorite luthier (Steve Morrill in Boston), who had to tack a few frets and futz with the nut, but now it plays great.

Granted, I bought the guitar from a store in CA and had it shipped to Boston, so there's always some movement of the wood. Or maybe the Plek machine was on a break that day.

Either way, I'm deliriously happy with the guitar now. And unless I had a guitar custom built for me, I would always expect to have it set up after I bought it.

Archived