Gibson Brands Forums

okay, so my new guitar should be here in a few days and I have a couple of questions

Big Arm

My new guitar will be an ES-345.

First - I want to install strap locks. Will the Schaller locks work? Would I use the screws included or the orignal screws? I got a new strap and it seems to thick for the Schaller locks. How would I make them work? Or are there other types that will fit a thick strap?

You may have to experiment with the screws a bit. On one of my guitars I had to drill out the tab to accept a larger screw, but you could partially fill the hole in the guitar with tooth picks and wood glue to help hold the smaller screws, as in the screws that come with the locks, or the stock screws that came in the guitar.

As for the strap, you can thin down the leather?, by either sanding or trimming, or you can press it thinner with a couple of thick washers and a pair of vise grips. I've had to do that before too. I made a custom strap that was very thick, and had the same problem. Softening the leather with water before pressing helps. Then just clamp on the washers and let it set up over night.

I always try to use the screws that are already in the guitar first just to avoid any hassles; if that doesn't work, follow what Dynadude said.

As for thick straps, all straps locks never seem to have quite enough thread on them. I put the lock in a vice then use a socket wrench to crank the nut down so that it stays secure.

Archived