Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson SG's

DiamondJig

• 2 weeks later...

Um...YEAH!

Glad to see the "SG Original" model, and so far all the examples I've seen online have the nice deep bevels on the tapered-horn body...just hoping these are truly RED and not "faded" looking. I know some may complain about the Nashville instead of the ABR, but other than that, talk about the quintessential SG reissue!

Nice work, Gibson. I'll be getting one of these by New Years, maybe another by my birthday. :)

H

Love the looks of the SG Original but man the markup for the vibrola. Wish the Lyre wasn't so pricey, I'd like to just add one to mine. I know Allparts sells a style of them but I've seen hit or miss fitment issues and you'd have to get the cover engraved.

I too, hope this is a "trend," at Gibson, and they'll continue that deeper beveling, and horn tapering, down the SG line...with the Special, and the Jr. as well. Time will tell...

CB

Question, I saw your other thread in the SG section, very nice guitar you got.

On my 2012 '61 Reissue, does it have the deeper beveling and horn tapering you speak of?

It is nicest guitar I have owned so far, and it a joy to play.

1.jpg

Like that new SG with the P90s also, but the prices on the (quickly disappearing) 1960s Tribute model finally snagged me. While they're gone (in red anyway) at GC and MF, I thought I'd buy one when I found them for the same price at Zzounds. Thing is, they went up $20 in the last week, so I Googled the model, and found it for $100 less (!!) at American Musical Supply. Not trying to pimp for them (this is my first ever order with them), just passing on the word of a great deal.

I do also like the fully appointed neck/headstock of the new P90 model, and may get one in the near future, but I had to have that half pick guard P90 Special (very similar to what Carlos Santana played in the 1960s, check out videos of Woodstock, all that's missing is the neck binding, full finish and Grovers- and I like the Klusons just fine).

Question, I saw your other thread in the SG section, very nice guitar you got.

On my 2012 '61 Reissue, does it have the deeper beveling and horn tapering you speak of?

It is nicest guitar I have owned so far, and it a joy to play.

1.jpg

Yes, the '61 reissues have always had it. It was the old USA Standards, and other SG's that

Gibson, for some strange reason (cost cutting???) stopped beveling as deeply/nicely, and

tapering the horns. And, for that reason "I" stopped buying them. Now that they've gone

back to that, I'm VERY interested, in SG's again. I just hope that trend continues, down

the entire SG line! They just look so much better, and feel better, too!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived