Gibson Brands Forums

J-200"N" question.

Pepperland

Always, always always ask. Better to ask something and get the 'obvious' answer than to assume... you know what happens then.

I agree, assuming is not wise.

I'm looking at possibly buying a 1990 J-200. Is 1990 known to be a good year for this model? I seem to remember reading that Gibson had just started production in the Bozeman facility in 1990 and had what they called "growing pains" when they moved there.

I have a sunburst 1989 and a blonde 2000. They are distinctly different guitars in that the 1989 has European Maple back and sides, which is very plain cosmetically. Some folks claim they sound better than the later ones made with Eastern Maple. I'm not sure I go along with that or not, as each one is different and sound is subjective. The 1989 has more of a big warm thud while the 2000 is like a grand piano with the sustain pedal pushed down.

Don't be afraid of a 1990. I would be more afraid of ones in the 93-94 range and the ONLY reason I say that is the Gibson acoustics I've owned from those years seemed to have neks that weren't very comfortable. Again, subjective.

My '89:

j200c.jpg

My 2000:

2000J200b.jpg

I have no direct experience with 89-90 guitars but one thing to keep in mind is that they used fullerplast finishes during that era. Later and current guitars are nitro. This may or may not have an impact on your decision making.

I was able to go out this afternoon and play the guitar in question. I was a bit disappointed. It's only the second one I've been able to play.

The first one I played earlier this year was much more alive and vibrant in comparison. I actually went home after that and seriously considered buying it but I waited too long and it sold. This one was dead, literally, no sustain. Oh well, the search continues.

you might want to look for a True Vintage model . they aren't cheap but those guitars really sing .

and rarely are they spoken of in a bad manner since there introduction ... they are great guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/SJ-200-True-Vintage.aspx

they started making them in 2007 . some people say they sound even better than the 50's versions .

I love my lefty Sj 200 TV

JC

you might want to look for a True Vintage model . they aren't cheap but those guitars really sing .

and rarely are they spoken of in a bad manner since there introduction ... they are great guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/SJ-200-True-Vintage.aspx

they started making them in 2007 . some people say they sound even better than the 50's versions .

I love my lefty Sj 200 TV

JC

Thanks Juan. The TV does look nice. I'm a lefty and looking for a used SJ-200. They are few and far between. [drool]

Thanks Juan. The TV does look nice. I'm a lefty and looking for a used SJ-200. They are few and far between. [drool]

Probably are an old set of strings. Ask em to put a set of the kind you use and try it again, Id bet that will do the trick.

The price is good but all of that laquer checking means it has been subjected to serious extreme of weather change...

Id look down the neck , if it looks concave or back bowed ,the guitar may be doa.

Archived