Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flying V 2001 - Limited Run?

Cruncher

Hi all, I'm brand new to Gibson (and these forums) and I've just acquired a Gibson flying V, pictured below

Flying%20V%20resize.JPG

The serial number searched tells me it was produced in the Nashville plant in 2001, but not other information. The person who gave me this guitar said that it was part of a limited run of 2500 guitars produced with this mirror pickguard - I'm not very convinced, however, as I can find absolutely no information online about said specific limited run. Nonetheless, its a beautiful guitar and plays amazingly well, I'm in the process of setting her up for my own specs at the moment

Are there any experts out there who might be able to tell me if this is an all-official Gibson V and furthermore any more information on this apparent "limited run" back in 2001, close to the Gibson centenary year.

Secondly, with flying V's in general: there is a buzz happening on the low E string from the 11th fret up. The kind of buzz that kind of even makes the note impossible to fret properly or hear unless held in really hard. Lasts up until maybe the 17th or 18th fret. Adjusting the action didn't do much to alleviate it and the neck definitely doesn't seem warped. Could it be the truss rod/neck bow amount?

Cheers!

With respect to the run, I will try to consult my book later, but I am fairly certain this was a line of bull.

In all likelihood, I suspect you have a garden-variety '67 reissue with a covered pickup/pickguard "upgrade", which happens to clash rather sorely against alpine white, IMO. If you want a real clue it's aftermarket, notice how this "limited" edition didn't come with a matching truss rod cover.

As for the buzzing, my Vs don't buzz. You have a 10 year old guitar stored in unknown conditions. I am guessing the truss rod will require adjustment.

Archived