Gibson Brands Forums

Back in the U.S.S.R ...

EuroAussie

No, this is not another Beatles thread, but the theme of the latest bar our band started playing.

Its actually called Behind The Iron Curtain and is a large cellar bar, which is themed around Communist memrobilia including propaganda posters, photos and other bits n' pieces that remind the young Western traveller how it used to be back in the day here.

Above all its a great Vodka bar and they have live music three times a week and promote left of centre acts, everything from experimental to Balkan Gypsy 12 pieces groups.

Anyway, we had a chance to play there for first time last nite, and as something refreshing we had a free reign to play some of the more alternative numbers, so I recorded the gig and here's one of those quirly numbers from 30 Seconds to Mars.

I used my Hummingbird TV and I think this track showcases how lovelly the Bird' sounds with subtle playing, but also when it needs to it can kick in with a roaring bottom end.

We played with our part time lead guitarist who used a Furch Jumbo, but looks like we'll be an all Gibson attack soon as Ill probably sell him my Songwriter in the near future. (lead guitarists really seem to love that model)

Anyway, its the weekend so I thought you might enjoy a little tune, something a bit different than what you might expect on a Gibson.

ps: notice my Keef t-shirt .. ?

best at 720p

Mark,

I really, really like that! The Furch is an unusual-sounding beast, but your 'bird shines here.

Not sure that the theme of the bar does much for me. Young people have no idea what the Czech people went through to get to where they are today. Thank God they had the courage to do it.

Mark,

I really, really like that! The Furch is an unusual-sounding beast, but your 'bird shines here.

Not sure that the theme of the bar does much for me. Young people have no idea what the Czech people went through to get to where they are today. Thank God they had the courage to do it.

Cheers Nick, glad you enjoyed it.

The bar actually is sort of like a communist museum and in actual fact its highly educational. There is a lot young American sudents that visit this bar who are doing a year study abroad, so I think it actually is a positive experience and they can learn a bit also.

Afterwards they still can have 20 vodka shots and get totalled ..... ;-)

Oh, and regarding the Furch, its actually a cedar solid top but laminate rosewood b/s, doesnt quite have the warmth of the solid bodied Gibson, hence makes sense why he would like to upgrade to the Songwriter. Solid bodied Furch guitars are quite outstanding however in their own right.

The bar actually is sort of like a communist museum and in actual fact its highly educational. There is a lot young American sudents that visit this bar who are doing a year study abroad, so I think it actually is a positive experience and they can learn a bit also.

Afterwards they still can have 20 vodka shots and get totalled ..... ;-)

Fair enough, provided they can still remember what they learned about history after the 20 vodka shots.

I remember (vaguely) a 15-vodka-shot night as a freshman in college. Haven't been able to look at vodka since.

^ I had one of those nights with rum - was years before I could even smell it again. .

Me too BK, with Australian Rum at my high school graduation party. Could not touch the stuff for another 20 years !!!

Just thinking of it makes me sick .... [blink]

Glad you enjoyed the tune.

Good song.Those slightly eerie chords with a touch of chorus/flange? sound great..perfect live sound from the beast.Guest appearance Lead work was excellent too.

My horror school drink was Cinzano Sweet Vermouth...from a camping trip when I was about 15...eek still would run from it!

Cheers Stein !

And what is your 'will never touch again spirit' .... since that suddenly became the thread subtopic ... ? :-)

I'm good. Just wanted to get a quick post in without too much effort having listened to the clip. I was actually planning on coming back when I had a few more minutes.

Met a guy at a space we remodeled a few years ago. Russians. Most of their customers are Russian, mostly because a lot of Russians don't speak English. Now, when I say "Russian", that's what WE call them, because to us we don't know too much the difference between the Ukrane (did I spell that right?) and Russia.

The guy in the wherehouse, he was in the Soviet military before the wall came down. I don't know much about much, but to me, that's HUGE respect. A man that can endure that has to have a certain robustness to him.

He is a cool dude. Remodeling the space next door, I ran into him again, and learned also that he suffered persecution for being a Christian and his specific beliefs, and apparently this was an issue in the military.

So, pretty much, the reason he likely works in the wherehouse is because a folklift is needed to lift his huge balls.

The cold war is over. I figure I don't want someone judging me for my government, so I ain't gonna judge another man for his. As far as the history, identity, or what they choose to embrace or find an insult, I don't know what that is or pretent to know. But it's up to them to tell me, not me to decide.

I think the Soviets have as much to be proud of as we do.

30 seconds to mars covers , holy god, you get everything on this forum!!

'bird sounds great EA , and you've found a lead guitarist that doesnt noodle all over the top of everything !! theyre rare

and extra points for the shirt

and i'm irish , havent found a drink thats beat me yet

30 seconds to mars covers , holy god, you get everything on this forum!!

'bird sounds great EA , and you've found a lead guitarist that doesnt noodle all over the top of everything !! theyre rare

and extra points for the shirt

and i'm irish , havent found a drink thats beat me yet

Yeah mate, we go from 30 secs to Mars to Neil Young in the one set ..... crazy hey ? [rolleyes]

Archived