Gibson Brands Forums

BR-9 lapsteel

kevin134

New to this forum, new to Vintage Gibson ownership. Just picked up my late 40's BR-9 today. Awesome sounding guitar. I know these were made from '47-'59 and that in '50 they started using adjustable pole pieces in the pickups. Wondering if anyone knows how to figure out what year it is. No visilble sn#, it has a P-90 pickup, and original hardshell case. According to guy I bought it from it is basically a one owner, he remembers his mother buying it around '48 or '49. Also wondering what info is out there on these things, like how many made, etc... Thanks, and I will try and post pics this weekend.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I am looking for replacement parts for a GIBSON BR-9.

New to this forum, new to Vintage Gibson ownership. Just had a late 40's/early 20's BR-9 arrive from Memphis today. I know these were made from '47-'59 but there is no serial number on what I own (that I can see anyway).

I need basically everything to make it work.... tuners, nut, bridge, bridge cover, pickups and electronics.

If anyone can help or at least help point me in the right direction to find what I need I would be very grateful.

Cheers, D

post-41136-032744000 1330396360_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If your lapsteel hasn't been modified...I would say check the potentiometers. On the back there should be a series of numbers along the edge. Should be 137YYWW. YY= Year of manufacture (for the pots). WW is the calendar week of manufacture. Could also be 134 at the beginning (137 is CTS, 134 is Centralab)

-Ryan

Guest enoch21

If your lapsteel hasn't been modified...I would say check the potentiometers. On the back there should be a series of numbers along the edge. Should be 137YYWW. YY= Year of manufacture (for the pots). WW is the calendar week of manufacture. Could also be 134 at the beginning (137 is CTS, 134 is Centralab)

-Ryan

thank youg.gif

Archived