Gibson Brands Forums

SG 60s tribute or les paul studio 60s tribute?

Blackbird99

Hi, I was thinking of buying a nice fancy Les Paul traditional, but considering Christmas is coming up and I haven`t got much money I was thinking of something else. As previously said my favourite band is the Who and I know that Pete Townshend used a Gibson SG special/classic(?) with P-90`s, so the 60`s tribute SG seems like a pretty cool guitar now. Of course then there`s the Les Paul studio 60`s tribute or maybe some other studio, just because I love the look of Les Paul`s, and they seem pretty good. So which one then? Opinions, regrets, reviews and praise?! [smile]

I have an SG Standard as well as the Krieger 50th and love them both...I tried an SG tribute and I just didn't like the feel of it. I found that of the 2 you mentioned the Les Paul was the better one overall. JMO mind you and it is possable that the tribute I tried was not a good example of the product overall.

Hello Blackbird!

The two guitars are world apart! They sound and play completely different.

After I got my 50's Tribute, I've ordered a 60's Tribute SG...When it arrived I was so surprised that it didn't sound I thought it should, that I didn't buy it. Not saying it's a bad one, just wasn't to my liking.

Try them both and choose what You like better. Your dilemma is not like choosing between an LP Standard or Traditional, where the difference is slight. The Tribute LPs and SGs are two entirely different guitars.

Also worth checking out the other Tributes: 70's Tribute LP is a great guitar for the price. Gibson doesn't comes out with a mini-humbucker guitar so often.

Cheers... Bence

Hi again! Thanks a lot, I was so lucky to have all of these guitars you mentioned at the local-ish music store, so I got to try them all today. I left without a purchase, so I could think a bit. I must say the 70`s tribute LP studio sounded really nice. However the SG 60`s tribute was also pretty amazing... I`m really torn between these two guitars, the sounds are very different but both are beautiful. I think I might choose the SG, because of price, it`s pretty cheap, but I`m not quite sure. Once again, thanks! :D

Hi, I was thinking of buying a nice fancy Les Paul traditional, but considering Christmas is coming up and I haven`t got much money I was thinking of something else. As previously said my favourite band is the Who and I know that Pete Townshend used a Gibson SG special/classic(?) with P-90`s, so the 60`s tribute SG seems like a pretty cool guitar now. Of course then there`s the Les Paul studio 60`s tribute or maybe some other studio, just because I love the look of Les Paul`s, and they seem pretty good. So which one then? Opinions, regrets, reviews and praise?! [smile]

These are still on sale

Why not get the Pete T 50th Anv SG http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-50th-anniversary-pete-townshend-sg-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71167.001_classic_white.jpg

or

SG Standard with P90's or the Classic http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-classic-electric-guitar-with-p-90-pickups

DV016_Jpg_Large_517127.083_cherry_R.jpg

What a trick Gibson missed, the two guitars above are great, but the REAL Pete Townshend SG Special Re-Issue

should have been an amalgum of these two axes. With the cherry red finish, the later batwing pickguard and the wraparound bridge.

They almost had it, so close, but no cigar.

Archived