Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie string question

powerpopper

Hello, and I'm pleased to know that there is such a great forum for Gibson Acoustic owners.

I have a few Gibson Acoustics that I have acquired over the past year and I am curious as to what the "standard" string gauges are for those models. It has been my experience that manufacturers recommend or ship their guitars with a heavier gauge of strings (Mediums, for instance) and nearly all of the players I have ever known have immediately switched those to Lights.

Can you guys tell me what the recommended string gauges are for the following models?

J-200 (Pete Townshend, if that makes a difference)

Hummingbird (Modern Classic)

Southern Jumbo (Modern Classic)

I was a little surprised that the Gibson Acoustic site doesn't indicate what string gauges or sets these guitars ship with, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

For what it's worth, I prefer Mediums which I'm guessing would be just fine on all these guitars?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Welcome powerpopper.

Great Gibsons. Please can we have some pics, particularly the Pete Townshend. If I ever get an SJ200 it will have to be that model - big fan of his.

I suspect he uses a lighter guage on his SJ200 with a light pick. I say this because of that fast triple time strumming technique he uses a fair bit. I could be wrong thought, I frequently am.

welcome to the forum. personally, i use 13's on everything as i am a heavy-handed strummer and i love the added bass and thud from the thicker strings. the heavier gauge also mellows the harshness of the treble strings a bit. pickers seem to prefer light as do those with smaller hands/fingers (not like a carny's hands though, that smell like cabbage as well). gibsons are a sound breed and can handle the added tension no prob. i would think a j200 begs for mediums. you have a beautiful collection! since we all live vicariously through others here, please post pics of your herd so we can all drool in harmony!

I've found it depends on the guitar and I can't explain it. Sometimes things just feel right or wrong and I just go with the flow.

J200 = 25.5" scale = 12-52 strings

SJ = 24.75" scale = 13-56 strings

But then to make a complete liar out of me I preferred 13-56 on the longer scaled Dove I recently parted with.

But generally either 12/52 or 13/56 will cover it. Any trespassing beyond those parameters is acceptable with a note from your mom.

PP -- I believe Gibson ships their acoustics with lights, not meds, in fact I found that info on this forum, IIRC.

FWIW, I just changed from lights to meds on my jumbo; thought I'd give it a shot. Had the heavier strings on for a month or so and gotta say, it's a big, full sound. Great for (hard) strumming. I'm finding it tough on the fingers and a bit tiring on the LH, but will soldier on. Some days I feel like I'll keep meds on this guitar 'cause it sounds so good, other days I'm ready to switch back to lights for an easier play. Gonna start with some alternate tunings (there's a few Skip James and John Fahey things I'm dying to try). We'll see how that goes...

If you do a lot of bends and vibrato, 12's are easier. For heavy strumming (and I read somewhere that PT uses 13's) the heavier strings might be a better choice. It's really a personal choice. The longer scale instruments are a little stiffer, so that is compounded with heavier gauge strings. I think bluegrassers might typically like meds, blues players, lights.

I use D'addario EJ16 .012 / .053 lights Phosphor Bronze on mine. They just seem to

have the right tone I look for. Have tried many and just like these.

Welcome to the forum, you can start a three or four page thread in this forum mentioning

or discussing the type of strings to use a Gibson Acoustic...=P~/

Re: comment above about scale lengths, I have found that my J-50 w/ 13-56s feels stiffer than my Martins with 12-53s. I can't explain it, but my shorter scale guitars feels harder to bend, and are more tiring to play, against everything I have read. Of course it is A/B test until I put the same strings on both guitars. But I'm not so sure about the long scale = higher tension = stiffer action theory (all else being equal. Of course physics dictates the tension must be higher.) I also have an ES-225 (same short scale length as the J-50) with 12-53s on it, and it also feels really stiff, whereas my 25.5"-scale Tele does not, both with the same action height and string weight. Fret height and shape makes a difference, and not just in bending, and even the fingerboard composition. Tactile feedback is so complex, and the fingertips are so sensitive, they are man's equivalent of a dog's sense of smell, or a hawk's eyesight. Think about how blind people can learn to read braille with their fingertips, and deftly - it's really incredible.

If you do a lot of bends and vibrato' date=' 12's are easier. For heavy strumming (and I read somewhere that PT uses 13's) the heavier strings might be a better choice. It's really a personal choice. The longer scale instruments are a little stiffer, so that is compounded with heavier gauge strings. I think bluegrassers might typically like meds, blues players, lights. [/quote']

Rosewoody, on reflection your comment that PT uses 13s actually makes alot of sense with reference to that triple strumming technique. Heavy strings and a light pick perhaps.

Powerpopper, I love the SJ200 and I haven't even seen it yet!

j200=13 set/mediums. Need the extra tension to drive the top on that wide-body. For the SJ, a 12/light set should be enough to get that one going. Dont have a lot of experience with Birds/Doves, but given the size of the box and that its basically a strum/rhythm instrument, mediums might be the way to go.

Welcome to the forum. Gibson ships all of their acoustics with Gibson Masterbuilt lights. Your guitars should all be able to handle mediums without a problem.

Gibson ships all their acoustics with Masterbuilt lights, except when they don't :-)

Mine didn't come with the standard strings.

Cheers,

Les

Archived