Gibson Brands Forums

1972 les paul custom

daveinspain

I walk into a music shop I had never noticed before, right in front of a sound and lighting shop a friend of mine opened about a year ago... One of the first things I noticed was they had a pretty nice selection of guitars on the wall. Not so common here in Valencia Spain... Then I see a section on the wall with what looks like some vintage guitars [drool] . Some arch tops and some solid bodies. My attention was trusted to a black LP Custom with witch hat volume and tone knobs... :-k Interesting... I asked to have a look. Feels great, nice weight, in good shape and appears all original... I asked what year it was and they told me it's a 72. It's got waffle back tuners, a small volute, made in USA stamped on the back of the head stock, three piece neck. i didn't see any signs of a pancake body but I think they were doing that in 72. Maybe an exception...?? It's got the fretless wonder ftrets that look in very good shape.... They tell me the guitar is part of the owners private collection and wasn't for sale but with the economy the way it is he's selling off some stuff.

OK, so I ask the big question. How much are you asking for the guitar... The guy tells me well I don't think he'd take less than 4000 for it. We are talking euros here, roughly 5225 dollars. This could be an oppertunity to get a nice vintage black beauty at a reasonable price... I won't pay the asking price but I have the feeling I can knock it down to about half of what they are asking...

So what do you guys thing of a 72 BB fretless wonder... I haven't plugged it in yet or looked at the electronics or pick ups yet to see if they are original. Don't want them to think I that interested in it. At least not yet...

BTW, the other guitar that got my attention was a 67 strat [drool] , all original in sunburst, they're asking 6000...

The going rate for an early '70s Custom in the UK is around £2,800 - £3,200 so whilst 4,000 Euros is too high it's not ridiculously so.

If you can get it for even as much as 3,000 you'd in all likelihood get yourself a bargain as you should always be able to sell it for more than this amount if you need to.

Make sure it's a 'good' one, though! Norlins can be hit-and-miss.

P.

Once in a while, an early Norlin comes up in local ads (surprisinly most of them natural-color, maple boarded Customs). I recently saw a BB in Budapest for sale just a bit above 2500 EUR. They usually offered for 500.000 to 700.000 HUF (appr. 1800-2500 EUR) here. They hardly sell... Cheers... Bence

Archived