Gibson Brands Forums

ESP vs fender

frankafru

well im cant afford a gibson (or an epiphone) so i wonder which i should buy:

a squier telecaster affinity series (good reviews and cheap)

or

an esp ltd viper 100

or

an esp ltd ec 256 aged vintage black

may seem weird that im asking this on a gibson site but....eusa_shifty.gif

Welcome to the forum... a couple of questions...

Do you play guitar or are you just starting?

Do you own a guitar already?

What do you want in a guitar? (features like a working tremolo, a good looking tremolo, type of pickups, type of finish, control layout, and so on).

Answering those questions would help us help you.

Welcome again, hope you have a good time here.

EDIT: 2 more questions... how much are you willing to spend on a new guitar? are you willing to buy used?

thx thundergod...

i own a peavy raptor and an aria mach 1 sg copy (aria sucks)

-i was planning on selling both to get more $ for a new one

well i like playing blues and metal, and...a lot of other stuff like flamenco or jazz. tremolos are nice but double locking

creates alot of hassle. I like solid one piece bridges but 2 pieces are fine. pickups should be versatile. as long as the finish isnt ugly its all good

And how much are you expecting to pay for the new guitar?

I think you should consider a guitar that is better than what you already have (so, not a squier... but that's just my humble oppinion).

Do you have an amp?

Epiphone does some prety good cheap guitars... they have some starter packs that come with picks, cable, a little amp, a strap and a gigbag too... (with the guitar).

You should consider a couple of things...

1st you are spending your money on a guitar (and selling the guitars you already own), better buy one that suits your needs and is better than your current guitars, not just an ok guitar.

2nd maybe you should consider a guitar that while being unexpensive can be upgraded so that it can be of use to you for a long time without having to invest much. (for example, a guitar that is well made but doesnt ome with fancy pickups or hardware that you can buy later, one piece at a time, instead of dropping 1o00 bucks on a "better" guitar.)

I think epis are the way to go... you can find them from 160 bucks new. You can find "good ones" for under 350 used. You can upgrade them with gibson parts. They will be easier to sell than a low end ESP.

They also are confortable and well made. Once you have her for a long time and come to like her... you might upgrade to a gibson with no problem (I know guys that have found gibsons unconfortable to play with, after having owned lots of squiers).

I really don't know which of those you should get, but it seems that the biggest complaint with the the Squiers is that they don't always stay in tune. You may want to research how the ESPs compare functionally. I found a lot of the harmonycentral.com reviews and guitarcenter.com reviews and musiciansfriend.com reviews to be helpful.

Les Paul Special 2

If you can't afford this Epi' date=' you're hurting.

[/quote']

+1 Exactly the one I was talking about, they have a started combo that comes with that guitar and everything you need to start. Prety nice guitar for the price, and you wouldn't believe the things I have done to mine... (have owned her for close to 15 years... was my first "real electric" guitar).

I paid $150 for my used LP-100 Epi' date=' my first guitar--go used--other things to consider, I dropped another $500 and over 20 hours into that epi for what is now a very playable guitar[/quote']

+1

frankafru Squier Teles are decent as Squier has tightened their quality control (all things relative here). The only problem with this particular guitar (to me) is the nut width, be careful not not buy a guitar with a nut width of 1.61" or 1.62" if you are a grown man with full size hands or have sausage-sized fingers. You will just not have the space to move your fingers.

If I was to recommend you the most versatile guitar you can get on a budget is the now discontinued Squier 51. If you can get one on a local store is betteer as they are now going for more money on the internet.

This guitar has a stratocaster body, telecaster neck (1.65" nut width) and it resembles a Fender P Bass 1951, hence the name.

The guitar has a humbucker on the bridge that splits into a sigle using the push-pull knob on the volume, it has a single coil on the neck position and the neck work on them is decent. The pickup combination is great because you have 5 options. Having humbuckers and singles on the same guitar is just great.

I own one and I upgraded the pickups in it but the stock pickups where just fine. This is my beater guitar and I love playing it. Also it is NOT a copy of anything else, it is not a Fender copy, the model was available only on Squier. At one time they where going for $79 some people bought a bunch of them. Now that they are discontinued they are going for a lot more.

Good luck.

well im cant afford a gibson (or an epiphone) so i wonder which i should buy:

a squier telecaster affinity series (good reviews and cheap)

or

an esp ltd viper 100

or

an esp ltd ec 256 aged vintage black

may seem weird that im asking this on a gibson site but....8-[

Your price logic is not making sense. The LTD EC 256 retails for $399, and the Epi Les Paul Standard in black goes for $499. That's only a hundred bucks difference. That is NOT an un-achievable sum of money, dude. Mow some lawns, shovel some snow, you know?

Second, think USED. I just went on Ebay and did a search for Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and came up with more than a few that are in good condition that are priced under or right at $399. When I was starting out all my guitars were used, not new, and I played some good guitars along the way as a result.

If you're absolutely determined to get one of those three guitars I would pass on the Squier Affinity series. The Squier Standard Tele is OK; the Affinity series is not worth your time. The Viper 100 is...an OKAY guitar. Of the three, the LTD EC 256 makes the most sense, but again, you could get an Epi LP Std for only $100 bucks more, or get a used Epi LP Std for less than $400.

Archived