Gibson Brands Forums

Come Play some shows in Second Life!

nolongermike@gibson

I tried logging in last night for the first time and turned myself into a glowing gas cloud somehow? guess I'll have to spend a little more time watching the demo or something before I hook anything up to it O:)

It looks pretty cool let us know when and where your gonna play again Mike and I'll check it out if Im not a cloud that is. It is kinda cool conceptually and money never hurts I did some street playing the other day at a outside art show for charity it was a hoot sitting there watching people walk by party for a few minutes throw a few bucks in the case and move on.

Hell it reminded me why I played music to begin with.

Yeah, that's "lag" from the connection. Sometimes if you don't have a solid connection, you'll experience that while things rez around you.

My, Von Johin website, has all of my shows listed under Tour Dates. I'm playing almost every day. I love it. Its fun. And I'm making money. What's not to love. Its kind of like doing a live concert/radio show from home. If you play in SL, you get the same kind of buzz as you would playing in person, its really bizarre to experience that sensation and realize you're still in your own home.

I tried logging in last night for the first time and turned myself into a glowing gas cloud somehow? guess I'll have to spend a little more time watching the demo or something before I hook anything up to it O:)

It looks pretty cool let us know when and where your gonna play again Mike and I'll check it out if Im not a cloud that is. It is kinda cool conceptually and money never hurts I did some street playing the other day at a outside art show for charity it was a hoot sitting there watching people walk by party for a few minutes throw a few bucks in the case and move on.

Hell it reminded me why I played music to begin with.

Well' date=' anytime you play a gig, its work, real world or virtual. But i love playing gigs. Its why I picked up the guitar at nine years old, so I could rock out and people would stop and listen. Now I get to do both, stay at home and make money doing what I LOVE, playing guitar. Too cool. O:) [/quote']

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters. =)

Well' date=' watch this video on You Tube of me playing in the Hobo Village for 55 people, doing my version of what I think Howlin' Wolf would have sounded like if he had recorded Black Dog. :)

You can't tell me that ain't fun! :-({|=

That. Is. Awesome.

You have some chops mang!

Well' date=' watch this video on You Tube of me playing in the Hobo Village for 55 people, doing my version of what I think Howlin' Wolf would have sounded like if he had recorded Black Dog. :)

That. Is. Awesome.

Much obliged. Hoping to get some fellow forum members in there to show their chops soon. I'm going to start talking about how we can do some virtual live jams with each other soon, too, using Ninjam. I did a live concert with a guy from Japan over the internet, me playing bass or guitar with him playing guitar and harp, each of us taking turns singing, in near real time, and we sold enough tickets to put about $120 each in our pockets for the trouble. smile.gif

Man, its a good time to be alive and a musician.

That. Is. Awesome.

Well' date=' watch this video on You Tube of me playing in the Hobo Village for 55 people, doing my version of what I think Howlin' Wolf would have sounded like if he had recorded Black Dog. :-({|=

Cool, Mike! Nice playing! Watch out for the groupies though; you could end up writing a song similar to The Kinks' "Lola."

Thanks, guys. Yeah, if you think its hard to spot the girls from the boys in real life sometimes, its even harder in the virtual world. Fortunately I'm there for one thing and one thing only, playing music. :-({|=

The Black Dog thing just kind of happened one night in one of them rare occasions where I takes a little rum in my Coca-Cola. I was noodling around and ending up starting the riff, so I thought, well what the heck. I figured I was just kinda giving it back to Howlin' Wolf, no doubt the inspiration for so much of Page and Plant. Fair warning if you come and catch a show, sometimes I'll start on one song and not finish for an hour, jamming in and out of several tunes as I get into the thing. I'm telling ya, this is a lot of fun.

If you're wondering about the percussion sound, that's me stompin' on a tambourine.

Nice skills Mike, real smooth ](*,)

How easy or hard is it to connect with the audience when all you see are images on a computer screen? In my brief experiences in playing for a crowd, it is easier when getting a vibe back from them, and that then feeds into your performance and so on.

If you're wondering about the percussion sound' date=' that's me stompin' on a tambourine. [/quote']

I did wonder about that. Nice job. You can clearly walk and chew gum at the same time! =P~ Great sound from the guitar too. You were live into a mic with some delay? That sounded too warm to be a piezo.

I use a set of mid-high-end condenser microphones, no way i'd plug it in directly and get that tone.

You do get the interaction with the audience, that's what's so cool. Their able to make applause sounds, which you hear, they are able to chat their enthusiasm up on the screen at the same time and their avatars are animated dancing. Honestly that buzz from playing a club in person happens from playing online, odd as that sounds. The first show I did, it kind of wigged me out because I had the same charged up feeling I get playing in a real life club. The mind plays tricks on ya!

The guitar is miked, plus it is plugged into a pedal board which runs out from a stereo chorus to two different Epiphone amps, the So Cal and the Valve Jr. I use a compressor pedal on it, occasionally the delay and the Crybaby and the chorus, but its mixed low in the back ground. Only the Valve Jr is miked, and its in the mixer low, the 4-12 isn't miked, I use it to give me a full sound in the room, so most of any effect sound for the acoustic is ambient to the room and picked up in the mikes on the guitar and vocals. The Lawson Letter blog on this site details a lot of this stuff.

Mike

Are you doing pre-recorded tapes and streaming it through, or are you actually playing and singing live from home?

I downloaded second life and watched some pretty amazing musicians play.

I write and record in Cubase so could I just pre-record a show and stream it?

Thanks

Johnny

I do a live show. Nothing is pre-recorded. You could stream anything you wanted to stream from most any audio source. If you wanted to stream pre-recorded music, you could do it.

By the way, here's a nice New York Times article on SL.

http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/12/07/style/t/index.html#pagewanted=0&pageName=07secondlife&

Mike

Are you doing pre-recorded tapes and streaming it through' date=' or are you actually playing and singing live from home?

I downloaded second life and watched some pretty amazing musicians play.

I write and record in Cubase so could I just pre-record a show and stream it?

Thanks

Johnny[/quote']

Archived