Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for confirmation

jjgr123

I recently got an old acoustic guitar out of storage where it has been sitting for over 20 years. Decided to do some research on what it was exactly, but the only thing on it are the words "Texan foreign" on the lower right hand side of the body. Could someone confirm for me please that this is what i suspect it to be, a cheap copy? I believe this to be the case, as it has none of the normal features you would expect to find (head, serial number etc etc) and the fact that I bought it for about £5 at the time second hand is probably a pretty good clue too.

post-51728-096424700 1355797943_thumb.jpg

It is not an Epiphone Texan, if that's what you were hoping. It was probably worth about the $5 you paid for it. Someone here might recognize it, but I don't.

It's actually sort of interesting looking--better than average for a cheap guitar.

The fact it seem to have a classical guitar like headstock and a screwed down pickguard (though the pickguard is missing or if not, is a strange color for a pickguard), plus the body's look and cast, leads me to believe that it is simply an inexpensive attempted copy knock-off guitar. The stamp on it makes it seem even more so...

Just my perception of it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't expecting someone to say it was something decent, but just wanted to be sure. Either way, it looks good up on the wall next to my Epi bully and my bluegrass banjo!

That's probably the best use for it, but it looks nice hanging there. It's actually very similar to my first guitar.

A quick search on google for EKO Texas cofirms that this is indeed what it is. Wow. To say I am surprised is putting it mildly. I found this http://www.daydreamguitars.com/enlarge.asp?ref=006_2.jpg&title=EKO+TEXAN

which at least shows that the horrible mottled orange pick guard is seemingly the original.

Thank you VERY much for the help. I shall treasure this guitar and try not to be too harsh on it when my fumblings for a tune don't go too well, out of respect for it's age.

Archived