Gibson Brands Forums

Whatever Happened to the SG Supremes?

DuaLeaD

Yea I was a big fan too real good looking guitars. I almost traded my les paul custom for one at a guitar show about 10 years ago or something, It was the orange flame model and it had p-90's in it instead of the standard humbucker. That was the only reason I did not trade for it. Tim

• 1 year later...

The green is gorgeous, i just wish it was chrome like the blue, fantastic guitar, when i ever get my hands on a SG i will make sure it is supreme!

When it's about chrome I am with you, regardless of finish colour. [thumbup] Anyway, I guess I have a special like for SGs featuring a 23rd and 24th fret instead of a plastic cover and coming without pickguard. [biggrin]

Thanks Kenny! Back when I bought it - I was in Kansas City with Robert Keeley (of Keeley Electronics) and a mutual friend and we decided we were going to go visit the Musician's Friend warehouse along with a number of other music gear stores while we were there. We were there to see Rob Balducci and Dave Weiner in concert at the Emporium there. Great concert!!! Killer guitarists!

Those SG Supremes were selling for $2000 at that time so I never imagined I would ever own one but when we got to the MF warehouse I spotted one hanging up on the wall. There was no price on it and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it at all so I asked a guy that worked there how much? He said $1350 including the case. I'm like - what's wrong with it? He turns it over and shows me on the back on the headstock that one of the tuner screws is missing. I'm like - that's it??? He says yeah it's a return and it's got that screw missing so we can't sell it as new. I whipped out my debit card so fast I almost hurt myself..lol. Robert comes walking around the corner and sees what I have and says "man, if you hadn't grabbed that first I would have"..

When I got home I ordered some tuner screws & took care of that minor issue. I still have it and Robert still is my friend so it's win win all the way around. [thumbup] That warehouse was amazing by the way. While we were there I also spotted like a half a dozen Gibson Goldtone amp heads with broken logos but didn't grab any of them because I already owned a couple Gibson Goldtone combos. I didn't know that would discontinue those later or I would have grabbed them all [crying]

• 4 weeks later...

I was trying to find a way to afford one for a few months seeing as they were well over $2000.00 but when MF posted one for $1300.00 it def got my interest.It was a return but for that price why not try it.It has the P90's that didnt make a difference to me and although the photo isnt the greatest the guitar top was amazing i think it was called Firemist.It was a great guitar totally beautiful and sounded killer but there was one problem.It was the first guitar I had owned with 24 frets and being only 5ft 7in i must have short arms as I had to strech to reach the E and G tuning keys.Heres the best picture I took of it.

11738563.jpg

MVC-008G-1.jpg

I put it out for sale and got an email from some who wanted to trade for his Peavey Wolfgang hardtail and he was in the area so I went and checked it out.Well we both were very happy with the transaction even if I did miss my SG take a look at the Wolfgang top and it's pickups are just over the top amazing.But I'm still a huge Gibson fan

wolfgang.jpg

There's a few around on ebay though, I was looking at a mint Blue earlier. I'll show you what I seen that I like............

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboston.craigslist.org%2Fsob%2Fmsg%2F4672821807.html&ei=CeQhVM-IE5KjyAT2kILgDQ&usg=AFQjCNHKEg2hMw_fc4oXNzpyfbZUFQPx4w&bvm=bv.75775273,d.b2U

Tempting for sure. Is that legal to use a Craigs listing here? If not my apology.

Archived