Gibson Brands Forums

Binding Question

atj13

I recently saw a demo of Epi LP standard's and Gibson LP standards. The guy's doing the video said that Gibson's have the plastic binding on the body and the Epiphone's actually have a painted white or cream colored line around the body edge, is this true? My nephew has a nice white Epi LP custom and the binding (or paint line) has turned a darker cream or almost yellowish color than the body (which looks nice imo). Just wondering if this was true?

[hi, delurking again after several years.]

While they botched the details regarding the binding being "painted on," they were probably referring to the fact that the Epiphone neck binding (on the Epi's I've seen anyway) is covered by poly finish, whereas on a Gibson, you can feel the texture of the neck binding. I personally prefer the feel of Epiphone-style binding. I like my Gibsons unbound, but maybe that's because I'm used to LP Studio models. Try out a Gibson Standard or a higher-end Les Paul in a guitar shop sometime and you'll feel the difference. You may also prefer the Epi style binding, since you're accustomed to it.

[EDIT]: Some models of Gibsons and Epiphones come with cream binding, so if you like that color, you don't necessarily need an aged guitar.

I like my Gibsons unbound, but maybe that's because I'm used to LP Studio models. Try out a Gibson Standard or a higher-end Les Paul in a guitar shop sometime and you'll feel the difference.

I hear ya. My problem with the Gibson neck bindings are the nibs. ( The binding covers the fret ends... for those that were not aware)

Although they smooth out the fret ends they also have a negative effect.

If you decide to re-fret, you just doubled the work. If you have someone else do it then you can figure twice to three times the cost.

Don't get me wrong, I have Gibson and Epiphone. I just don't like nibs.

Willy

( The binding covers the fret ends... for those that were not aware)

[...]

I just don't like nibs.

I think that was a large part of my problem with the Gibson binding. The overall effect was that it just didn't feel natural to me. It was tacky (in terms of texture, not style) where I wanted it to be smooth. It's a matter of taste and playstyle I suppose.

It's always nice when the fret ends are smooth enough not to need to be hiddnen, but we all know that doesn't always happen ;). I'm sure if a high end Gibson were to fall into my lap, I'd learn to like the binding, but for now I prefer the feel of my Gibson Studio and my Epi Explorer.

I saw that video, it was on Rob Chappers' youtube channel I think. They also compared the sustain of a Gibson to an Epiphone.

The Gibson got a few seconds, but when the Epiphone lasted almost a minute (twice),

they said "Well, we must have just hit a sweet spot", idiots. I can't stand that guy.

Edit:

This IS true. At least to some extent....let me explain. The binding is real binding. You can't fake that. but what i believe the OP was told is not about the binding itself, but on some epi's, at least certainly on my nighthawk, there is a thin pin stripe line right next to the binding. That IS as the OP was told, tho not paint line but a small line of black and white tape. Mine has it around the body and head, and when i fit a bone nut you could see the tape bent down from the edge of the head face into the nut slot and i even cut a piece off in the slot to see and sure enough it's tape.

That said, who the F cares? the guitar is flawlessly built and is worth a lot more than i paid.

I saw that video, it was on Rob Chappers' youtube channel I think. They also compared the sustain of a Gibson to an Epiphone.

The Gibson got a few seconds, but when the Epiphone lasted almost a minute (twice),

they said "Well, we must have just hit a sweet spot", idiots. I can't stand that guy.

I had a feeling it was an Anderton's video. Chappers is a hell of a player, but he doesn't exactly have a reputation for being knowledgeable about guitar materials. In fact, it's become a running joke in those videos to have Chappers give either misinformation or meaningless vague statements about materials. It's odd, since he is apparently a bit of a luthier with his own line of guitars.

The sustain test was a bit silly. As I recall, Chappers bends up to the note and uses heavy vibrato on some of the tests, but not others. These guys are trying to sell the high end Gibsons, so they were understandably nonplussed when they got a really nice Epiphone with a good factory setup that blew the Gibsons out of the water.

I had a feeling it was an Anderton's video. Chappers is a hell of a player, but he doesn't exactly have a reputation for being knowledgeable about guitar materials.

I hear ya'.

I was at G.C. the other day when one of the "salesmen" told me that Epiphones only come in 2 colors....black and white.

He was standing in front of a wall full of them in every possible color!!!

I do believe at his previous job he was trying to sell pumps and high heals to men????

I believe this is basic training for future CEO's !?!?

Willy

I hear ya. My problem with the Gibson neck bindings are the nibs. ( The binding covers the fret ends... for those that were not aware)

If you decide to re-fret, you just doubled the work. If you have someone else do it then you can figure twice to three times the cost.

Don't get me wrong, I have Gibson and Epiphone. I just don't like nibs.

Willy

Ah, ha - a "nib fight"!

I love the nibs.

If I had my way it would be illegal to make a guitar without a) a bound fretboard, and B) without the nibs (despite the fact that only one of my guitars actually does have them!.

I had a feeling it was an Anderton's video. Chappers is a hell of a player, but he doesn't exactly have a reputation for being knowledgeable about guitar materials. In fact, it's become a running joke in those videos to have Chappers give either misinformation or meaningless vague statements about materials. It's odd, since he is apparently a bit of a luthier with his own line of guitars.

The sustain test was a bit silly. As I recall, Chappers bends up to the note and uses heavy vibrato on some of the tests, but not others. These guys are trying to sell the high end Gibsons, so they were understandably nonplussed when they got a really nice Epiphone with a good factory setup that blew the Gibsons out of the water.

Yes, you are right on both counts - it is an Andertons video and that "sustain test" certainly came out as a big plus for the Epi!

Archived