Gibson Brands Forums

Am9 open position

kevoz

Hi all,

I've been playing (messing is probably a better word) with guitars for 27 years and decided to learn/relearn a lot of the chords I knew before, in order to improve my chord vocabulary. Chords sound a little different when played in different positions on the fretboard. I think its important for a guitar player (particularly those who intend to compose their own songs) to have a good chord (and scale) range. I'm starting at A and for the past few months I have been unable to play the Am9 chord in the open position (1st finger on 2nd sting 1st fret, 2 finger 4th string 2nd fret; 3rd finger 1st string 3rd fret; and 4th finger 3rd string 4th fret ). I have small fingers and just can't seem to get this chord at all. Its not a real problem because there are other easier positions on the fretboard where this chord can be played, but it dents my superstar ego (joke hehe) a bit not to be able to play a basic chord. Does anybody else have trouble playing this chord? I'm sure there are another 100 chord variations that are equally challenging.

Just to clarify what I said, I"m just learning chords to build my chord vocabulary. This is not the way to go for a beginner (i.e. you don't need to know 400 different chord shapes). I think a knowledge of chord progressions, very basic open chords, pentatonic lead positons, basic theory (keys, flats, sharps etc), barre cord variations (A and E shape, incl. minors, 7ths, 6ths etc), strum patterns and picking variations ( for arpeggios) are much more important than chord vocabulary.

Thanks

Kev

I couldn't play an Am9 that way, and I'm not sure why you would want to. There are better way to play an "open" Am9.

Since an Am9 is the same notes as a Cmaj7, try substituting a first position Cmaj7.

5th string - 3rd fret (m or b3rd), 4th string - 2nd fret (5th), two fingers and you're done.

The open low "E" string is another 5th, the open "G" string is your 7th, and the open "B" is your 9th. The high "E" is of course still another 5th

• 1 month later...

Hi Newbie:

For a really easy, root-position Am9 that includes open strings and is much easier to finger than the one you're struggling with, try this:

First and second strings open

Third string, fifth fret

Fourth string, fifth fret

Fifth string open

Sixth string: mute (you can play it open, it's the fifth of the chord)

This fingering includes all the notes of the chord: root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth.

By the way, a Cmaj7 is not the same as an Am9, since it does not include the note A (but it does include everything else).

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I've been playing (messing is probably a better word) with guitars for 27 years and decided to learn/relearn a lot of the chords I knew before, in order to improve my chord vocabulary. Chords sound a little different when played in different positions on the fretboard. I think its important for a guitar player (particularly those who intend to compose their own songs) to have a good chord (and scale) range. I'm starting at A and for the past few months I have been unable to play the Am9 chord in the open position (1st finger on 2nd sting 1st fret, 2 finger 4th string 2nd fret; 3rd finger 1st string 3rd fret; and 4th finger 3rd string 4th fret ). I have small fingers and just can't seem to get this chord at all. Its not a real problem because there are other easier positions on the fretboard where this chord can be played, but it dents my superstar ego (joke hehe) a bit not to be able to play a basic chord. Does anybody else have trouble playing this chord? I'm sure there are another 100 chord variations that are equally challenging.

Just to clarify what I said, I"m just learning chords to build my chord vocabulary. This is not the way to go for a beginner (i.e. you don't need to know 400 different chord shapes). I think a knowledge of chord progressions, very basic open chords, pentatonic lead positons, basic theory (keys, flats, sharps etc), barre cord variations (A and E shape, incl. minors, 7ths, 6ths etc), strum patterns and picking variations ( for arpeggios) are much more important than chord vocabulary.

Thanks

Kev

i have this problem too, and i try to overcome this with concentrate on my first & third finger work together, then my second & fourth finger hit the notes at the same time.. then i do vice versa. it helps me a little bit, but still Am9 feels difficult because i don't use it often, while the sound of Am9 in that position is best among all the variations. my stupid third finger just can't react as i expect when it comes to this chord.. :P

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

open tuning am9 ?

just lift the c ( first finger ) off the b string and voila !

Everybody gets one

the first is always free

Regards

Yep, but that could be both an Am9 or A9 depending on the previous/following chords, right?

Try this:

1st string: open - E

2nd string: open - B

3rd string: 5th fret (2nd finger) - C

4th string: 7th fret (4th finger) - A

5th string: 7th fret (3rd finger) - E

6th string: 5th fret (1st finger) - A

Yeah, I know it's hard.

The way bishopdm showed the chord, as he himself said, is actually an Am7(9):

First and second strings open

Third string, fifth fret

Fourth string, fifth fret

Fifth string open

Sixth string: mute (you can play it open, it's the fifth of the chord)

This fingering includes all the notes of the chord: root, third, fifth, seventh, ninth.

Using his model we can change the G on 4th string for an A.

First and second strings open - E and B

Third string, fifth fret (1st finger) - C

Fourth string, seventh fret (3rd finger) - A

Fifth string open

Sixth string: mute (I wouldn't play it open unless you want to inverse the chord)

Way too easy.

Cheers!

Archived